Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #381
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Plus I'm mad at Rian for tryna leave Orrodel. What's up, Rian? Why you gotta abandon Lilly, Viv & Penny, just because of that monster meanie Khamul? The three of us will help you out there, in regards to keeping Khamul off rpg-Rian's back, I'm SURE of it! Viv, Lilly & Pen started out this RPG with Rian coming to Orrodel; how are we to adjust without her around? (which one of these smilies is the one for a sad face, I can never find a "saddie".)

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-13-2005, 01:48 AM   #382
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Nazgul A question

Gordis put up a great map at http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/Tharbad3.jpg

Udu is presently living in the guest professors' quarters in the University. However, he would prefer to have his own house, and has been surveying the neighborhood. How about that red triangular building at n15? Is it part of the stables? If it is not, it is a very good location, since it would seem to have a view of both both the street below it and Rath Galen, and an indirect view of those coming from Annuminas. There is also easy access to the North Gate and the Horse Gate, should things get unpleasant and he feels he must leave quickly. How would he go about buying this?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:25 AM   #383
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Plus I'm mad at Rian for tryna leave Orrodel. What's up, Rian? Why you gotta abandon Lilly, Viv & Penny, just because of that monster meanie Khamul? The three of us will help you out there, in regards to keeping Khamul off rpg-Rian's back, I'm SURE of it! Viv, Lilly & Pen started out this RPG with Rian coming to Orrodel; how are we to adjust without her around? (which one of these smilies is the one for a sad face, I can never find a "saddie".)
I'm not decided yet, so I'll leave it open for now. I'm out of time tonight - I'll be thinking it thru. But how can you convince Khamul to keep her, after what happened tonight?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-13-2005, 04:29 AM   #384
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Marty & Ray read thoughts too, now? What, is EVERYone in Tharbad a mind-reader? It's starting to make me dizzy! If everyone & their brother and sister is a mind-reader, then the whole concept of mind-reading and thought projection kind of loses its special, interesting appeal, to me anyway. The whole rpg starts turning into an en masse inner story of sorts. Does anyone actually SPEAK rather than try butting into each other's minds all the bleedin' time? The mind reading thing is just out of conTROL around here! Lol!!

heh, you wanna see old bumble .... no one can even touch his mental abilitlies; neither the captain nor the king: his ability to sense in advance, when someone is going to the bar, is legendary!

I wouldn't worry too much Lotesse: technically we can all shield our minds a bit and maybe occasionally pick up the odd very-top public thought or so ... but there are few indeed that can go BEYOND this: someone said there were four levels ...

Val can do the first two, and Mr O can do the fourth (plant a suggestion into someome's head: as we witnessed with marty) - no doubt the morgul lord can do all four too, probably better than anyone here (currently at least)

to my knowledge marty and ray are NOT overly gifted in these arts AT ALL, not every Numenorean is either very capable nor indeed TRAINED to this...

this of course is Shah's call. (wotcha! by the way)

I do agree Lotesse, though, that it makes it pointless if everyone can do it ... i go with a mix of willow's open rpg context and Gor's call for some clarity on this ...
Old 10-13-2005, 06:35 AM   #385
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Let me comment on my last couple posts:

I started with a concept that came to me several weeks ago, and I've just been waiting to spring it. What I posted is pretty much in keeping with the initial concept.

My notion was that all the Nazgul present would have tried to do a bit of mind-scanning - even if almost unintentionally. I mean... they were all face-to-face for the first time with the last son of Isildur and the man who possibly owned the One Ring. They must ALL be dying with curiosity. The shout of 'SILENCE' I intended to come from the Morgul Lord, who, even if he had joined in the scanning initially (and perhaps he must have to have sensed Valandil's reaction), determined that they all needed to back off.

However, Gordis is pretty insistent that neither 'Ilmenzor' nor 'Aiwendis' would have been scanning Val - and this leaves only two - and I also see that Udu says the same thing about his character. Honestly, I didn't even count Nazguls... I just went with the concept.

I could go with Oreturion being the one to shout "SILENCE'... I did not explicitly say, after all. (Or a part of Valandil's own mind? And maybe some of the rest was his mind playing tricks on him...??? Due to heightened attenuation to what was going on mentally - which was pretty new to him - at least in present company...??? )

So anyway - I'm willing to make some changes - it's nice that you all liked it as a stand-alone post from the start (I was hoping it would be a nice little shocker) - but I'm certainly willing to edit it to make it work better with the story and/or with the way everyone sees their characters. I'll hold off just a bit though, because I am considering Willow's comments about just letting things stand and seeing where the game takes it.

And... could there be more Nazgul about? Could Lilly (and maybe Viv - if she high-tailed it over once Ray left her) have hidden themselves in small chambers here and there... wanting to join in the action? Are there other Nazgul there who we don't all know about?? (maybe even all Nine?)

Besides all that - I may have overdone the mental part. It would certainly be tough to maintain it through the whole game, and I am probably running too far with whatever Tolkien gave us on the matter. Aragorn's ancestors were far-sighted, and they received insights or perceptions at times (and communicated mentally via Palantir, which could be the basis of this mental training - I'll have to make Oreturion a former Warden of the Palantir of Annuminas)... but maybe this is just too much. So - perhaps we can just leave it here with the 'Reception Night' part of the game (or use it only sparingly after this episode). Lotesse - I see that you have already observed how tough this will be to keep going.

Someone asked about the four parts of mind discipline - I pretty much made that up on the spot just to tell the story, so don't take that as 'gospel' (either with those who claim to practice such things or with whatever Tolkien may have written) - it just seemed a logical progression to me for story purposes. There might even be five, six and seven that Mr O doesn't know about.

Oh - stray comments - Gordis, I didn't imagine that Oreturion had ever met Ilmenzor, although it's possible. Oreturion was a native Arnorian who gained favor with Elendil - he came down for the War, but didn't stay long after it was finished, returning north to marry. Come to think of it, I don't remember if I wrote this, but I had him coming from the Princely house of Lhun in my mind, so he could be a cousin of some sort to Marty (wow - there's a stretch - but even brothers can be quite different). Still... he could have been present when Ilmenzor was rescued - or he could have made a brief visit to him while he convalesced - maybe to acknowledge Ilmenzor's service to his new King, Isildur - before going home to make preparations for Isildur's arrival.

I don't put an 'h' in his name, but keep doing that if you like... I'll have him correct someone on it at the reception (or maybe it could be a running joke - everyone keeps calling him 'Orethruion' when his name is really 'Oreturion' ).

Also - the name of Isildur's son to whom Estelmo was an esquire was Elendur.

ALL - we've talked about the Last Alliance in the discussion thread. However - let's remember that it concluded only about 50 years before our story - not 3000 years before, as at the time of LOTR. So... if anyone talks about it in the game, maybe it would be fun to call it The Most Recent Alliance of Men and Elves... or something like that.

Lotesse - I can see how you'd feel lost if you hadn't read Silmarillion and UT. Have you read all the appendices - or do you just scan here and there for the appendix trivia game? Those three things are the bulk of my sources, beyond LOTR itself. If you get the chance, they can be fun - but I know it takes time. Meanwhile, if you've got specific questions, go ahead and ask. And meanwhile - I should probably take the effort to post about Valandil, Estelmo and Oreturion in the Formal Info thread - esp since I already have the information written here in the Game thread someplace.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-13-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #386
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Oh yeah - and I loved that about Rian and Earniel suddenly being surrounded by 5-6 football players!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #387
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Earniel and I were talking, and decided that if people kept making man-stealing comments about us poor innocent elves, that we needed to do something to justify it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #388
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
No, i haven't been "bugging" him : though i could if you thought it would be a good idea??
Nah, we need him to keep his focus on the Gates of Mirkwood game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Earniel: yeah interesting take ... Mr O! could work i guess... (though i bet ya' a chocolate frog King Val wasn't thinking of mr O when he wrote it ...)
*hands BB a chocolate frog* I must have been the only one thinking of "Mr. O", it seems.

Quote:
Marty & Ray read thoughts too, now? What, is EVERYone in Tharbad a mind-reader? It's starting to make me dizzy!
Not everyone, just us. Some of the nazgul are bound to have the ability through their rings. The King and some of the Numenorean nobles would have the ability through their descent from Elros and pure bloodline. It would make no sense for the Elves not to be able to have this ability in light of the former. Since all our chief characters belong to one of these groups, you can't really get around it. Of course, I agree we shouldn't focus over much on it in regard to normal communication.

Quote:
Plus I'm mad at Rian for tryna leave Orrodel. What's up, Rian? Why you gotta abandon Lilly, Viv & Penny, just because of that monster meanie Khamul?
Considering Khamul made it clear to RÃ*an earlier that he was the master in the house, RÃ*an has little choice but to consider herself fired after that little tiff with him at the reception. Unless you can convince Khamul to relent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Oh yeah - and I loved that about Rian and Earniel suddenly being surrounded by 5-6 football players!
Considering 99% of the female population is currently focussing on you, the young men really must feel left out. And we are Elves after all. With everyone accusing us of stealing their men, we felt it was about bloody time we got some attention of them in the first place. [EDIT: sees that RÃ*an has beaten her to saying the same thing ]

Last edited by Earniel : 10-13-2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #389
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, Marty and Ray are of some nobility...So, i'm guessing that they have at least the ability to shield their thoughts and probe the mind of lesser men...and they HAVE been hanging around Val, who is bound to practice on them. That and the fact that Ray grew up with him also helps. But by no means, are they that skilled in it.

Earniel, Love the fact that the team of players trooped off to meet you two...You have now given those girls ammo adn evidence of Manknapping.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #390
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Hi, I have been away for some days, and now I have a lot to read. I am amazed: such GREAT posts!

I will try to catch up with you now. But no problem, I believe, as Lilly is still in bed and not at the Reception.

Lotesse, will you be able to post for Penny? We need to finish our spell.

And that is not some Woodoo spell 'Tis a honest European medieval thing with a wax doll and needles. Lots of witches were burned for it in the Middle Ages.

Khamul, are you ready for some really bad surprise?
Old 10-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #391
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
*hands BB a chocolate frog* I must have been the only one thinking of "Mr. O", it seems.
If it makes you feel better, I actually did think it was him the first time I read that bit.

Sane - Thanks for giving Mahtaliel a chance for some normal interaction, I promise you she's much more relaxed around her students than she is around her colleagues.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #392
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Nice posts today!

I especially love Shah's "Finding nothing hostile, immensly powerful and fairly,amazingly enough, NORMAL, she relaxed a bit"

Val, I corrected the two names I got wrong, sorry, I was typing them from memory.

Speaking of names, Shah, please note it is AIWENDIS, not Aewindis (Like Aiwendil- the Quenia name of Radagast), meaning "Birds-lover".

Now, Val, , you have admitted yourself that you haven't counted the nazgul at the Reception. That was the reason of ALL these inconsistencies.

So why are you so reluctant to correct that "mind chatter", "Mind-Reading from multiple directions", "Many Easterling Professors" and MOSTLY that cry for SILENCE?

And NO, Lilly and Penny and Viv are at home. They won't risk the Morgul Lord's wrath for coming uninvited.

At the beginning Val is scanned by the Morgul Lord AND Khamul, to the point he feels dizzy. Then they withdraw. Perhaps he is also scanned by Numenorean nobles and Elves. And there is a constant background of everybody present THOUGHTS. Who would cry "Silence"? NOT the Morgul Lord, here I am adamant. For Orethurion there is no need to do that, he will loose his opportunity to spot the offenders.

And, I loved the INFO on Oreturion and Estelmo! Thanks from all of us, Val. I must type something for Aiwendis at last.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-13-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #393
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Udu, If you want than house, go and buy it, what is the problem? You will have the opportunity the day after the Reception (in a couple of weeks Real Time) I think Bumble is planning to pay you a visit at home with a bottle of wine. Perhaps that will motivate you to move.

CS, glad you are around. We are waiting for the spell!

Udu, when Khamul collapses wailing, which he is bound to do soon, could the Chancellor give you a 4-th level mental SUGGESTION to go to Orrodel at once and inform Lilly, Penny and Viv of the Captain's displeasure? What say you to that plan?

Last edited by Gordis : 10-13-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #394
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Will fix the blooper, it was a fast reply, didn't check for spelling.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #395
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Earniel, Love the fact that the team of players trooped off to meet you two...You have now given those girls ammo adn evidence of Manknapping.
Hey, we're not chasing after the guys! *innocent look*
If people come up to talk to us, we'll certainly be polite and talk back 0:-)

Old 10-13-2005, 04:17 PM   #396
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Oh, but of course...just helps that you are very good looking and, no way in hell, would a bunch of healthy guys not notice....
Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 PM   #397
Rían

Couldn't resist a joke about the jewel of Eärendil - it might tempt the people that haven't read the Silmarillion to read it

Old 10-13-2005, 05:19 PM   #398
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"Udu, If you want than house, go and buy it, what is the problem? You will have the opportunity the day after the Reception (in a couple of weeks Real Time) I think Bumble is planning to pay you a visit at home with a bottle of wine. Perhaps that will motivate you to move." - Gordis

I am looking forward to Bumble's visit. Udu is always eager to have another bottle of wine. Just reserve the structure at n15 on the map, the one beside the stable. The map is a great idea and I hope more people make use of it.

"Udu, when Khamul collapses wailing, which he is bound to do soon, could the Chancellor give you a 4-th level mental SUGGESTION to go to Orrodel at once and inform Lilly, Penny and Viv of the Captain's displeasure? What say you to that plan?" - Gordis

I am all for it. I like the way you worked Udu into the post you wrote today about the MM's. They remind me of Cinderella's stepsisters. Great job on them.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #399
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well, get the house at fashionable N15, but why not retain your uni rooms too, for the odd night drinking and discussing eastern and western philosophy with old bumble? ... or other things

best BB

EDIT * important *

btw; if the reception, great though it is, is tio take some time real-time, then we should consider Lotesse and CS ... Viv and lilly ... it is not fair that they be effectively excluded if it does take any length of time ... therefore we could maybe have the arch-chancellor have lilly called to the recpetion for a private word after the vengence on khamul (only thus at that momment - a private word) .. and staying there so he can keep an eye on both her AND Khamul too - also on that basis, Viv, or i am more than happy to have boomerang meet lomi in the cloisters and thus have him ask Bumble to invite Viv as bumble's guest ....

just thoughts, open to other ideas of course! ... but if we do take some RL time on this entertaining reception, we must not exclude either lotesse nor CS

best all, BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-13-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:02 PM   #400
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Pie throwing contest? Who's throwing pies, and who are the pies being thrown at? Does this mean we get to throw pies at the new professors? Please?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread