Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:11 AM   #381
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Hah! I thought it didn't post...TWICE! But it's there twice, in two slightly different forms.

I'm up too late - why don't you guys look them over for differences and see which is better and let me know - I'll delete the other.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:12 AM   #382
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Oh, it took alright, you double posted. And I am gonna have Marty'n'Ray tag along with you, seeing as they have had quite the fill of wraiths. Perhaps if Lily or Viv wanted to show up and chat, that would be cool, but they ought ot hang out with him.

would it be likely if these two stooges went to the meting with the chancellor with val?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 AM   #383
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
would it be likely if these two stooges went to the meeting with the chancellor with val?
You mean Ray and Marty? Sure, Val will have his immediate entourage with him, including the CHAMBERLAIN and the advisors.
And it would be great, if you (or Val) could post the full names of Ray and Marty. That will be an official reception, mind you.

Excellent posts, Val and Rian and Shah!

Last edited by Gordis : 09-12-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #384
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Awesome posts, ye all.

Rian
I am glad that you heeded our advice, Rian. Perfect solution. Let Lilly think you are an elf.
Please, continue the story. I have left you a lead.
Don't forget to ask about your salary again. Lilly is going to pay you more than you could ever imagine! But she wishes total loyalty and respect of her oriental customs: no mirrors permitted. And you are to hire a kitchenmaid and a stableboy to begin with.

Gordie, what is this "Haul"in post 68? Khamul?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #385
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I hope nobody mind that I have invited myself to the Arch-Chancellor tonight as well. But since Gordis wrote it was customary, I thought I'd do so as well. Might be a good opportunity to meet with other players for the first time.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:42 AM   #386
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I hope nobody mind that I have invited myself to the Arch-Chancellor tonight as well. But since Gordis wrote it was customary, I thought I'd do so as well. Might be a good opportunity to meet with other players for the first time.
Sure I don't mind, good idea to invite yourself, Earniel.

One thing only. I still don't believe in equal rights in Arnor , so IF you gave your real name and lineage and mentioned you were the Lady of the adjoining Elven realm/state/settlement/swamp... whatever, then you are to be considered a VIP and invited along with King Val on Sunday evening. If you posed as an ordinary elf, then welcome on Saturday 6 o'clock along with the commoners and petty nobles.

Actually that Rian's friend in the Red Herring, annawen? was it, should have got the invitation for Saturday as well. Who minds her, by the way?

I am not sure about Ray and Marty. I think those have a good chance to come twice, if they so wish, on Saturday, as simple new students, while on Sunday, they could attend the reception and the banquet as part of Val's entourage.

Last edited by Gordis : 09-12-2005 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #387
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Will I be there aswell?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 09-12-2005, 08:13 AM   #388
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

No, TD, you are a Professor, so you come on Sunday, with the King. (I think, you have already met the Chancellor last night, upon your arrival to Tharbad, but keep it secret. That's how you learned where Lilly and Five live ). Now you have a lot of fun looking at their preparations and smirk to yourself...

Please, stay in the house and deal with all emergencies.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #389
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Perhaps it is not a matter for discussion in an RPG thread, but that needs stretching the facts quite a bit to say that royalty is of little consequence to Elves.
Oh, I'll readily admit it is more my interpretation than fact. What I tried to say was, that (in my opinion) royalty mattered less to Elves than it did to humans. I can't help but think that, if Elrond wanted to go wandering about Middl-earth by himself, the Elves would let him, regardless of whether he was Eärendil's son. Whereas that would be far less likely be allowed for human royalties.

Quote:
One thing only. I still don't believe in equal rights in Arnor , so IF you gave your real name and lineage and mentioned you were the Lady of the adjoining Elven realm/state/settlement/swamp... whatever, then you are to be considered a VIP and invited along with King Val on Sunday evening. If you posed as an ordinary elf, then welcome on Saturday 6 o'clock along with the commoners and petty nobles.
Oh darn, Now I have to decide don't I? To be honest, I hadn't worked it out yet for myself whether I was going to go 'public' or in cognito.

Well, she would be enrolled under the name Eärniel and since through Valandil's posts it is reasonable public knowledge that the Lady of Nîn-In-Eilph is named Eärniel, she'd be known as such. And that way she would be a VIP. But since she came all alone to Tharbad, it might be better for her, securitywise, to pose as an ordinary Elf. You see, I'm a bit torn.

But I suppose it will mostly depend on who else is going on Saterday or Sunday. If everybody else is going to show up on Sunday with the King, there's little use of Eärniel showing up on Saterday because there will be very little opportunity for interaction. But if there are some characters going on Saterday as well, I'm going with option 2 and pose as an ordinary Elf.

So who's going when? It is Saterday in the game, isn't it?

Quote:
Actually that Rian's friend in the Red Herring, annawen? was it, should have got the invitation for Saturday as well. Who minds her, by the way?
I think she's a bit of public character.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:39 AM   #390
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I think you have a chance to come twice, Earniel.

That's how I imagine it. Suppose you came to enroll, saw an overworked clerk, who was in no way curious to even look at you, gave your real name, but no details, and got the invitation for Saturday. You have told no lies, just were brief.
Sure, soon the misunderstanding will be ended, and you will get your rightful VIP invitation from the Arch-Chancellor himself.
Sounds OK?

Re: your question
On Saturday : Lily, Penny, Vivvie, Annawen, Ray, Marty(unless they don't want it, eh, Shah?? Forgot anybody? And lots of unidentified students. 3-5 minutes interview for everyone, no drinks.

On Sunday: Val's reception at the Arch-Chancellor's office, banquet and dances and music. Cream of Tharbad noblesse invited, all Val's entourage invited, Professors with families invited.

I will be happy to see you both on Saturday and on Sunday, Earniel.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #391
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
I think you have a chance to come twice, Earniel.

That's how I imagine it. Suppose you came to enroll, saw an overworked clerk, who was in no way curious to even look at you, gave your real name, but no details, and got the invitation for Saturday...
Or - the clerk might glance up on hearing the name 'Earniel' and say something like: "Riii-ight... and I'm Marilyn Monroe..."

Shah - it wasn't a true double-post. I actually typed up both of those! You'll see a few distinct differences. I'll take time later to preserve the best of both in one of them (I'm leaning to keep the second).

Gordis - trying to find a nice picture of Jeri Ryan to represent you... after all, you ARE Seven of Nine! I saw a good one on another site not long ago (sans borg get-up... very alluring) - but it's gone now.

I'll try to find the names I worked up for Ray and Marty... and invent ones for the Chamberlain and tutor... and other major parties - perhaps captain of personal guard, etc. One of these guys MIGHT be Estelmo - a survivor of Gladden Fields (walking with a limp... or a cane?). I have other plans for Ohtar in my fanfic...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #392
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Leaving!

I'm doing a complete remake of this post. When I wrote it I had two minutes before leaving for college. Usually I write, edit once, and then post. And then I edit about four more times! It's a really bad system, because any time, someone could come in and respond before I've finished my post! People misunderstood and were hurt by that post version, and that they were makes sense.

I really, really feel that just about the entire dispute, here and elsewhere on Entmoot, is based on misunderstanding. I am very sorry that it has occurred, and I know that it's partly my fault, as I'm not very experienced at looking at things from other people's perspectives or backgrounds. I say things occasionally that aren't intended to be rude, but come across that way. It's a failing I'll have to work on, and which RÃ*an is helping me to see.

Misunderstandings aside, I did make some mistakes I must apologize to the whole thread for. I came over and began to act in this RPG without having read the whole thing and without having the proper respect for other people's characters. It was a different manner of playing RPGs that I was running into, and one that I was very unused to. Those were honest mistakes, and I hope no one here will hold them against me. I will try not to make assumptions about people and games in the future, but rather will learn how they do things first.

Have a splendid game . Don't close the thread. That would be a pitiful, sad ending that I think is really needless. I probably will continue looking at the thread from time to time, and if no one minds, may post some more in the discussion thread.

One thing I will remark is just regarding the third thread idea. On Atharon (mine and a friend's website), we always have three threads, and it's enormously convenient. We have a large number of characters, and these are extremely convenient to find and examine because of the purely technical thread.

RÃ*an and I were talking about how to dispose of my character. She suggests a glorious conclusion like going over a cliff. I think falling in a hole and getting stuck is a better idea . Do what you want, and enjoy it .

I hope to see you all around Entmoot, get to know you better, and avoid falling over backward off this seat from being tired. It's midnight, and I've got classes in the morning, and I'll be getting up around 6:30 .

Farewell, roleplayers!

~Lief
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-14-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #393
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

***edited out - no longer relevent *** ... then I will have to seriously consider leaving, which is a shame because I was really starting to enjoy my first rpg. Perhaps this is the norm, tho? I don't know. I sure hope not! It was getting to be really fun, and I was enjoying learning a new skill and getting to know some other Mooters better. Your posts had me busting up sometimes! I had a really funny characteristic of RÃ*an that I was thinking of introducing, too, since this is a pretty humorous rpg... And I had great fun bringing in the fan-girl element, which has already been picked up by Eärniel (and I imagine would be a serious problem for a guy of rpg-Val's standing!)

I know that the loss of RÃ*an's character would certainly not harm the story, either, since it's centered around Nazgul, so the rpg would not be harmed and you guys could keep it going just fine. If I decide to go, you can give me a rip-roaring exit, if you want to!

I'd like to say, too, thanks for the kind invitation, Butterbeer, and thanks for everyone's acceptance and encouragement! It's really been a new experience, and a great one, and no matter what I decide, I'll always have fond memories of this time.

I'm going to work on some school projects for a bit and think on this. I don't want to leave without a serious effort to resolve the differences here. Can I help anyone in any way? Please PM me if I can. I was a physics major, then a computer science major/math minor in college, then worked in military radar for 10 years, which sounds impressive, but all that stuff pales in comparision to the difficulties of managing conflict between us humans! But the rewards of resolving difficulties are well worth it, and I'd sure hate to see the diverse, inventive group of humans on this rpg lose some members.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 09-14-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #394
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

(I've already come across some misunderstandings, and am more hopeful now!)

Eärniel, Annawen's "innocent" question about the Commerce class just busted me up! Good one!

(as far as I know, she's a public character, right?)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 09-12-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #395
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

There's this song by The Violent Femmes - anyone ever heard of Violent Femmes? (besides Nazgul 'femmes but that's another thing entirely ) and the refrain of the song goes like this:
"Please, please, please do not /
go -oooo, /
Please,please, please do not /
go, ooh, ooh ooh."
Something like that! Anyway that song's stuck in my head but it's a song 4 Rian today. Rian!!! PLEASE do not go!!!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #396
Rían

Believe me, I don't want to!

Old 09-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #397
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Hey you guys, here's a pic of the wine-and-miruvor cellar at Orrodel...

http://images.forbes.com/images/2001...ar_377x511.jpg

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 09-12-2005, 05:05 PM   #398
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
There's this song by The Violent Femmes - anyone ever heard of Violent Femmes? (besides Nazgul 'femmes but that's another thing entirely ) and the refrain of the song goes like this:
"Please, please, please do not /
go -oooo, /
Please,please, please do not /
go, ooh, ooh ooh."
Something like that! Anyway that song's stuck in my head but it's a song 4 Rian today. Rian!!! PLEASE do not go!!!
Violent Femmes! And that song is extremley cool Lotesse, we have to discuss Violent Femmes in a music thread
Sorry make disturbance in here. Hope you can forgive me
Old 09-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #399
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Hey you guys, here's a pic of the wine-and-miruvor cellar at Orrodel...

http://images.forbes.com/images/2001...ar_377x511.jpg
Love it!!

Old 09-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #400
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Or - the clerk might glance up on hearing the name 'Earniel' and say something like: "Riii-ight... and I'm Marilyn Monroe..."
Hahaha! Nice hint for your future post, Earniel. Make it Lutien or Galadriel though.

Quote:
Gordis - trying to find a nice picture of Jeri Ryan to represent you... after all, you ARE Seven of Nine! I saw a good one on another site not long ago (sans borg get-up... very alluring) - but it's gone now.
She has beautiful eyes, but I don't like the lower part of her face too much...
Must find time to search images.google myself

Quote:
I'll try to find the names I worked up for Ray and Marty... and invent ones for the Chamberlain and tutor... and other major parties - perhaps captain of personal guard, etc. One of these guys MIGHT be Estelmo - a survivor of Gladden Fields (walking with a limp... or a cane?). I have other plans for Ohtar in my fanfic...
Oh, yes, please, do.
Estelmo? Wauu, any of the nazgul would love to chat with him. Does he like strong drinks?

I loved CS's and Rian's posts. I think the Haunted House theme is one of most promising here. Could be an RPG in itself! Rian, we need you!!!

UMMM, the cellar, thanks Lotesse. I hope my "siblings" will not drain it before I have time to appear.

Last edited by Gordis : 09-13-2005 at 07:47 AM.
Closed Thread