Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2002, 12:06 AM   #381
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yay: more veggies to the ranks! I've been a vegetarian since Jan 2001 - can't say I've actually missed meat. I was never a big meat eater, and my mother was a bad cook... I haven't had chocolate for... ages... *sigh* Now, if I could only show the same diligence to cutting back on the coffee. And yeah: fish is meat - it has eyes, and a sensory system, AND in some ways fishing is just as cruel as agriculture in terms of technique and wastage. EG get over here, so we can kick your sell out butt!!
Old 07-27-2002, 12:20 AM   #382
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Well, I guess I'm not exactly a vegetarian then, cassiopeia. But I don't eat any meat other than fish. You can kick my butt if you want, BoP, but I warn you, I kick back. And I bite.
You're right about eating fish, I think. But I really don't want to give up fishessss and shrimp, at least not yet

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:21 AM   #383
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

What's wrong with chocolate?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:56 AM   #384
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

exactly. not meaning to be disrespectful to those that do eat fish, i dont understand it either cass!

oh welll, BOP, i have cut all cheese apart from pizza - IM SOORY! I JUST CANT DO IT! I HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING TASTY IN MY LIFE!
Milk i havent drunk for many months, its really easy to omit. I have soya milk and you can even get choc soya.

If i may ask why have you stopped eating chocloate BOP?

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 01:55 PM   #385
azalea
Long lost mooter

cassiopea -- try veggie burgers, there are a lot on the market and you can get the hamburger taste without the meat (and fat!). You can even get canned veggieburger and make your own if you want.

Eating seafood, chocolate etc., all depends on your GOAL in becoming a vegetarian. My dad considers himself one but does eat seafood. His reasoning is that a fish doesn't have to live it's life in a box and then be slaughtered, fresh seafood has gotten to live it's life in relative comfort (?) before it gets killed and eaten. It's the same idea that's behind free-range chicken and the like.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 04:13 PM   #386
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Would anybody like to persuade me to drop my meat-eating tendencies?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 05:08 PM   #387
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

youll be a lot healthy.
the sticky glue like substance in your arterys which is slowly hardening and hardening until it blocks your blood supply. The youll suffer a horrible painful heart attack, never see your children, parents, or friends again. all because you wanted that juicy fat covered hamburger.

Got a dog?
a cat?
a pet of any sort?
just think, its mother could be in a korean sjope inside out. yum.

If all else fails, why wouldnt you want to join a wonderful society liek ours?
were all lovely?

and the only reason yuo would give up chocolate toally is if you were vegan.

I gave up all chocolate for 4 month before reallising that cadburys was vegetarian. If in doubt, check on the brand names website, if they bother to be careful about beggie conditions they will have a query about it in the FAQ section.

Old 07-27-2002, 06:02 PM   #388
azalea
Long lost mooter

Okay, Anduril -- I dare you to go a month without eating any meat.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:15 PM   #389
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I gave up chocolate initially because of the additive scare, but now I'm just avoiding it cos it's bad for me. Plus SOME chocolate still isn't completely veggie. And i'm still tossing up the vegan thing.

Anduril: quit winding up the veggies, I know you couldn't live without McDs supersize combos.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:07 PM   #390
Eruviel Greenleaf

I don't eat farm raised salmon. That's evil stuff. Never eat farm raised salmon. But I guess I'm still not realllly veggie because I eat fish that's not farm raised. As I said before. But anyway, I tell people I am if I'm eating dinner at their house or something, so they don't serve me meat or something

Anduril, I second Azalea's challenge. One month without meat

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 07-27-2002, 09:44 PM   #391
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I now declare my new belief that all living things are plants. I am, therefore, now a veggie.

After 5 minutes...

These new beliefs foster confusion as to which living things can manufacture their own food directly from minerals with the help of sunlight and sometimes without. The distinction between the flora and the fauna will have to be reinstated...

This little Gedanken or "thought" experiment will now be concluded and I am now, once more, a sweet chomping omnivore.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:46 PM   #392
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

What part of chocolate is considered non-vegetarian? I thought it was made of milk.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:23 AM   #393
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I don't miss meat at all. I do eat vegie burgers from Hungry Jacks, curse McDonalds for not having vegie burgers. I still eat pizza, taco's and other yummy stuff, just no meat. I dont think I could give up milk and eggs. They are just in too much yummy food! Free range eggs are good and I suppose I could have soy milk. I still getting used to being a vegie.

I actually became a vegetarian because I read this book on how bad animals are treated, and I just could not eat another peice of meat. You know what really annoys me?, in Korea (I think) they actually beat dogs to death because they think that the release of andrenalin will make the meat taste better.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:27 AM   #394
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Mmmm... I smell Herbivores.....

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:43 AM   #395
Eruviel Greenleaf

Don't eat me. I'm...sort of stringy tasting

I miss meat. Not chicken; but cow. Yet I can't eat it...it's wierd, that way. Yet sometimes a t-bone steak just sounds really good...er, stop! No! Nevermind, I said nothing, really!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:15 AM   #396
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Uh oh - carnivores in our midst. Veggies Unite! I'll form the head!
Old 07-28-2002, 02:26 AM   #397
Eruviel Greenleaf

And I'll just run and hide. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:52 AM   #398
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
curse McDonalds for not having vegie burgers. I still eat pizza, taco's
In england, mcdona;ds do a very nice veggie burger. But i dont eat there anyway becasue i dont trust them and plus their chips are definately not vegetarian.

Khamul - its all about the additives. yes its made of milk, but some companies choose to add chemicals like Cochlinea to colour/flavour/preserve the product.

Old 07-28-2002, 01:24 PM   #399
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I don't miss meat, except sometimes bacon *must resist*
I became a vegetarian mostly cause meat is nasty, my parents would always get mad at me when i would refuse to eat something because there was a vein or skin on it *shudders* so i decided it would be easier to just refuse to eat any meat, and it is!!! i don't think eating meat is wrong, its completely natural for people to do so, but the way the animals are kept on big factory farms is absolutely disgusting, as is the way they are slaughtered, (think hung upside down while still alive and having their throats slit, at least horses anyways, and i'm sure its not limited to them)
Quote:
the animals ARE getting some advantages through domestication, ie easier access to food, more mating prospects, etc
yes, also being kept in stalls where they can't turn around, being injected with vast amounts of hormones, and being fed food filled with other animal parts from which they then get mad cow disease....

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:51 PM   #400
azalea
Long lost mooter

Also milk chocolate is considered vegetarian, but not vegan. My brother is a vegan and eats dark chocolate, but not milk chocolate because milk is an animal product.

I've heard Burger King is introducing a veggie burger.