Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #381
Amael
Elven Warrior

A'mael kept her eyes open wide. Her and Ingwionis had not spoken since first laying their eyes upon this place. She finally decided to speak, but quietly.

"What are we going to find in here, besides the archives? Ghosts, wraiths, goblins? Bones of the dead? Is this place as guarded as we are led to believe?" Her voice was shaken and nervous. Ingwionis took her hand and in response to her, he could say nothing and just gave a shrug. Then he would speak. "My wife", Ingwionis looked at her and talked silently, "you heard Radagast. You do not have to go any further. I would welcome the order to leave at any time. But I'm curious and I have to go on."
Ingwionis had a shaken voice as well, filled with prophetic doom.

"They called Khazad-Dum a mine, Ingwionis. They called it that before that entire kingdom perished or left. It was a tomb of fire. They call this place an abandoned fortress of the enemy, so by the same measure, this should be hell. I don't want to go further either, but Radagast did say our lives may even depend on it. If you're going then I will have to endure this dark. I just can't believe I'm here." A'mael looked at the slime on the masonry to her right and old burnt-out candles, the wax had run the whole way to the ground. Some bones of small animals littered the ground, probably the left-overs of meals the orcs and goblins had eaten when they didn't have the luxury of larger, more intelligent beings. A'mael was disgusted with it all. Her first thought was to run in the other direction, but she endured it as the group marched on.

"How far underground do we have to go!?" Like a little child, A'mael was getting more and more nervous and impatient. She felt so alone. Out of all of the group, the only one she really knew was Ingwionis. She couldn't take much more of the underground and yelled out to Radagast. "Istar, Radagast! Help an Elf will you?" Radagast came over to see what was wrong. "Radagast! We're nervous. Ingwionis doesn't know what's down here and I'm considering asking Thranduil's army to come down here with us. Do you know what's ahead? It's so dark in some of these corridors and so many corners to pass, I can't see through walls and I'm, well I don't want to say scared but that's what it is! I've never been in a place like this before!!!"

A'mael was stuttering and almost in a panic. Ingwionis took A'mael's hand again as Radagast led them on. A'mael prepared to reach for her bow but didn't want to cause a fuss. "Oh what I wouldn't give for being back in Lothlorien with a nice tree to lay against", she thought to herself. She didn't want to walk on the ground below her, let alone lay one finger on the walls.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #382
The Sasquatch of Fangorn
The Co-president of Entmoot - The Half-Dwarven Guardian of the Ancient Forest

Borin scoffed "Why, if I didn't know any better. I'd say that everyone here was scared ! Trust me, I've seen far more frightening things in one day than anyone will see in this tunnel ever agian."

"she turned me into a newt!!........but I got better."-Monty Python and the holy grail.

Thanks for breaking up the group Yoko!"- The reduced Shakespeare company.

Fly Eagles fly, on the road to victory.
Fight Eagles fight, score a touchdown 1-2-3.

Hit 'em low,
Hit 'em high,
And we'll watch our Eagles fly.

Fly Eagles fly on the road to victory.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 AM   #383
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"Of course we are scared, Master Borin," Haldis said, as she moved to cautiously approach Tabril,
"Do not be so churlish as to belittle us for that. Evil dwelt here for a very long time, and very little has passed since it was cast out.
If any would have my advice: Let only those of us most accustomed to danger enter those tunnels and those who are truly afraid, as I will admit to being, should stay above ground, we would only hinder you below. Further, if we can devise some communication between the two groups we should, for then we may fetch help for you if something unfortunate happens."
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #384
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl had made a similar gesture of greeting to any who approached her, appearing not to comprehend her words. It would not do, she thought, to be perceived as hostile, not at present. Better now simply to see what she could learn of them, what new knowledge she might bring home to those who might have a use for it. There were many things she did not understand about this group which might be meaningful to the wise.

First among them was this wizard and his talk of shadows, of memories, as if the foul things that lurked under the ground were no more than that. It took courage, she supposed, to venture to a place like this - although the line between courage and pure recklessness was very fine.

'What is it you seek here?' she asked at last, she could make that enquiry at least before she left them.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:34 AM   #385
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"We are seeking for the whereabouts of the entwives," replied Haldis, being nearest to the elf, "Why here? You will have to ask Radagast. I have come this far from curiosity rather than duty or prior knowledge."

She paused, then, "My house is at a cross-roads in the northern forest and many elves and men and dwarves pass by who dwell in or around the Greenwood. Yet you seem at once to be familiar with these woods and to have the air of a stranger. Have you lived here isolate or wandered far? And if you have wandered, perhaps you have heard tell of the entwives?

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-30-2008, 01:45 AM   #386
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl shook her head. 'It is not for me to know of such matters,' she said quietly to the woman who had given her an answer. One of the Aftercomers, she looked to be, and Tabrîl had not had dealings with them in very many years.

Perhaps it was right, she thought then, that the woman termed her a wanderer. That was close enough to the truth that it might do. 'The forest is not my own,' she said. 'I lived far to the east of here, once, in lands you would not know'

In a home now nothing but ashes and ruin, came the bitter reminder, and she forced the thought from mind. 'These lands belong to the in'kasha - the lady Galadriel,' she corrected herself. 'But any who have ventured here know of the risk. I believed you did not, but it would seem I was mistaken.'

Old 04-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #387
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis was puzzled by the comment that the woods belonged to the Lady, for she was sure Radagast had mentioned that there was a Lord, alone, of East Lorien now, but she set that thought aside for now, "Our search may take us east," she said, "when we leave here. What news do you have of those lands?"

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 AM   #388
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

What did the woman want from her? Tabrîl frowned. So much had changed, she no longer knew what to expect.

'It would not be news to you, what I could say,' she answered. 'It would be history to you, and ancient.' How many years had it been since their first home had been lost? More than she could keep count of, and they had built and abandoned many since then. Tabrîl knew little of the current world, she had kept too close to home for too long, and so this conversation was on an entirely unequal footing. 'I am of the Kindi people, that came out of Kuiviénen very long ago.'

Again she shrugged. Of Kuiviénen she could tell them nothing, either, her father had not yet been born when the first troubles began, the first migrations. 'I know little of what is, only what was, and that is of little use to you.' Even if she were about to tell it, which, Tabrîl thought indignantly, she was not.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 AM   #389
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi had been watching the newcomer closely from the moment she appeared, his eyes narrowed into suspicious slits. Now, standing, he strode through the group until he stood before her, a commanding presence, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword in a gesture of warning that only one of his kind would likely understand.

Switching into a general Avarîn dialect, he addressed her with brusque formality.

'Why have you come among us? Speak, and I would have your complete answer.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 AM   #390
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Tabrîl's eyes widened as this elf approached her, his warning well-understood, even if his speech was a little sundered from that of her own people. What was such a one as this doing travelling with this group?

'You were in Kindi territory. Two days ago. I would not allow it,' she answered him with similar terseness in her own dialect. Her meaning was clear, that had they strayed too close to what she considered her own, to what she desired to protect, then she would have dealt with the matter as she saw fit.

'Why?' she demanded of him. He was alike to her, even if he was not Kindi, and likely he understood why he should not have trespassed.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #391
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi removed his hand from his sword hilt, clasping his hands behind him. He had erred, if indeed he had been in her territory. He eased his stance slightly, lowering his eyes from hers.

'I did not know that we were in your territory. I did not know that there were others in these woods.'

He looked at her appraisingly, his eyes looking at her clothing and at the small silver rings on her belt. She had nearly as many as he did. She was m'had'i, there was no doubt of that, and one to respect.

'This group means no harm, m'had'i. Their mission is one of good, and they will not be in these woods forever.'

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 AM   #392
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

'Better that you did not,' she replied, impassive. 'We try not to make our presence here so obvious.' She gave the others in his party a disparaging glance, but her tension eased somewhat, she was visibly less on edge. It would not be necessary for her to challenge this other m'had, not now that she knew he did not intentionally intrude.

'You were sent here to help them?' she questioned then. It was a strange in'kasha who would send out her children for such purpose, but then that was not to be Tabrîl's concern. And this one was clearly not untried, she had caught him looking at her silver honors and so had counted his own. 'Of which tribe are you?' she added, but her questioning was no longer so harsh in tone.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:22 AM   #393
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"Well," said Radagast, "it's no use going underground right away. I doubt we'll find what we are looking for right on the first day. So why don't we make camp and see to the horses and luggage first? It would seem we have some matters to settle and discuss first," he said with a glance at Tabril. If there were dangers he did not know of now, he'd better find out.

"And there are better places to do so than standing before dark tunnels. We should also look for those guards that should have been here..."

A horn called, a musical and welcome sound in the rather oppressive atmosphere of the ruins of Dol Guldur.

"Speak of Tevildo... I think that'll be them." Radagast said.

A little further off, at the side of a copse of trees, a figure appeared and waved. Radagast waved back and the other figure came closer. As he approached the company could see it was an Elf.

"Mae govannen, Radagast," the Elf said.

"Mae govannen, Rámil, "I was almost starting to wonder where you had run off."

Rámil laughed. "That is because you have arrived by a different road, and from a different side, Radagast! We did not think you would pass by here, behind you is the territory of the Avari, and they do not like strangers passing through, certainly not large groups as yourselves."

"Ah, yes," said Radagast, thinking of Tabril's warning, "that would explain a few things... We were attacked by spiders in the woods, and lost our way for a moment. I had thought we had been further to the East than we actually were."

"But come," said Rámil," you have arrived and that is what matters. We have a camp near the edge of the forest, where it is more pleasant to stay. There is food and a better place to talk."

"I think we can all agree on that, lead the way, Rámil. We will follow."
Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 AM   #394
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Abasi frowned, looking for a moment at the ground.

'My tribe is no more,' he said flatly. 'I am the last. We came from the far east, east even of the darkness.'

At that he stopped. This strange m'had'i did not need to know more of him than he had already said.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #395
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

The last - but it made no sense to her. He was m'had, a warrior, he ought to have defended his homeland to the end. Tabrîl knew better than to ask after such a thing, but it did raise doubts in her mind. For all his honors, what did she really know of him?

As another new elf approached the group, Tabrîl again became more alert, looking past the one she spoke with and over at the newcomer. These woods were more populated than she might have guessed at!

If she had to take her chances here, better it was with one whose motivations she understood. 'I am Tabrîl yen'Habti yon'Safwë Kindi-lîwa,' she introduced herself formally to him, citing her lineage, 'and my people too came out of the east, long ago. My regrets,' she offered for the loss he had suffered. If he wanted to tell her more, he would. She would not pry.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #396
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

The sun was setting for the day, finding refuge behind the hills of Amon Lanc, the disfigured stone arches and beams of Dol Guldur casting ever-longer shadows upon them. The wind was blowing at a leisurly north-east.

Quickleaf was amused. The odd display of lofty stances and veiled comments, coupled with outbursts of ownership over this and that. He cared little for this kind of behaviour among his own kin. Had he not wandered the southern corners of Greenwood for many years? Freely, walking east to west, west to east, and even as far north as the Old Forest Road. And now, deep down by Amon Lanc, the lands which nature and all peaceful creatures had so bravely reconquered, was now being claimed by this and that. Incredible..
Contributing to the cause of companionship would be far more impressive than any long recounting of ancient family history or haughty, self-obsessive sulking over not being understood properly; which only advice he could give to was to speak up.

Seeing that a few Sildan Elves had arrived he went forth and greeted them. "Aiya. Quickleaf here, of the realm of Greenwood forest. My pleasure."
Rámil and his companions seemed a tough bunch. It would be interesting to hear whatever news they had to tell.

"Radaghast, what do you know about the library that we seek?"
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #397
Mari
Elf Lady

Ellysa gave up. If no one was going to translate for her, it was no use trying to listen or even pay attention. She walked over to Haldis and offered to help with the setting up of camp.
After that, she would have to do her practice again. No more slacking off on that account!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #398
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

'I am Abasi Ulman-lîwa,' he said, hoping she would not comment on the fact that his name lacked the depth of relationship that hers did. 'Were you sent to follow us, then?'

Abasi looked at her with a twinge of jealousy in his heart. She had a tribe, a home, a Mother and likely Brothers and Sisters as well. What was she doing out here, in the wild, wasting her time with him?

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #399
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

Nami had sulked off, all the talk of overcoming peoples fear had depressed her, then this new elf and Abasi had started talking in a kinda of langue she did not understand. On the edge of the clearing Nami's head begain to clear as she felt the warm sun hitting her face from the dappling light of the trees. She signed, stretch and looked back at the others.

She know a few faces among the new elfs of the wood. She watched as Quickleaf introducted himself. Nami was in no mood for that, she was depressed and shame faced.

I'll say hi to them later, she thought as she sulked off towards Haldis and Ellysa, plonking herself down on the ground, drawing her knees up she buried her face in her hands, cursing her foolishness.

After a few moments she looked up, noticing Ellysa and Aelfwine she frowned and spoke up,
"I guess you two will want know whats been said wont you. Ill give you the not so long translation if you want?"

"Basically Tabrîl," here Nami pointed to Tabril, "she an old kinda elf, lives somewhere in the wood, warned of going underground, warned of entering her peoples forest, really its my peoples forest too. Quickleaf and her had a bit of a its not your forest alone, yes it is arguement. She thought we had evil intent, i think. And it appears everyone thinks we're walking though the wood as if we were as loud as a pack of Mumikill! Then Abasi and her started talking in a tongue i didn't understand. Thats about it."

Nami stopped and put her head back in her hands.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #400
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

"We were walking loudly as oliphants," Haldis pointed out, amused byt the various interactions taking place around her.

Looking at the stances adopted by Abasi and Tabril she thought them to be of similar status, perhaps, but not of exactly the same people. They had reverted to a language which sounded akin to the little quenya she knew, but as though it had stopped it a much wilder stage.

They hardly seemed to take noticed when Radagast indicated that the company was moving to join the Lorien elves' camp.
Haldis coughed to get their attention, "We're moving away from here now to find a place to camp. Come with us, there will be information exchanged and plans made."

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Closed Thread