Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2004, 11:58 PM   #21
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I agree with Millane.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #22
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

If I had to choose between MJ or SI to babysit my baby....I'd go with "Crikey" man. Still, I'm with grandma! No stunts with the children please!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #23
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
I agree with Millane.
well when you have kids - take them to the zoo and hang them over the crocodile pen. Many babies have survived dropping from a balcony - none I think have survived being dropped in front of a crocodile.

Lizra - who you would leave to watch your children is different. I'm sure if Irwin told you that he was going to be holding your one month only a couple of feet from a crocodile while feeding it chicken as part of his show - you would not be having him babysit.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-08-2004 at 12:18 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:56 AM   #24
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

And the legend of Steve Irwin continues to grow.
On Comedy Central in the U.S., the Daily Show, in the Back on Black segment, Lewis Black (commentator) observes:

"This guy is not teaching a one-month old ANYTHING about crocodiles. he's teaching the crocodile to associate BABIES with feeding time! The chicken was just an appetizer. But the expert child-rearing didn't end there! Irwin also took the opportunity to teach his baby to walk!"

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:02 AM   #25
Hemel
Elven Warrior

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steve Irwin's Baby 'Stunt'

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
actually no the crocadile wouldnt have lunged for the baby because as Steve explained (and you can see for yourself in the video footage) the crocadile was in no way capable of lunging forward because of its position...
I wonder how long it would take for that croc to change its position ...

Sorry, but I think the man is a total idiot, and cruel with it.
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 AM   #26
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I'm going by what PROFESSIONAL Crododile handlers have said on the news here and what could have happpened. They all said that the crododile could have easily have lunged whenhe was feeding it and so forth. That a crododile is also much more agressive and dangerous than an aligator. So - going by what the EXPERTS are saying - I think he was an idiot and it was worse than Michael Jackson.
were these american crocadile handlers watching the film that was broadcast around the world?, did they see the other crocadile handlers with Steve Irwin making sure nothing did go wrong?, it just amuses me that everyone at the show werent horrified because they knew that the croc handlers were in control.
Quote:
come on, you have to admit that it was not a very smart thing to do, given the nature of the animal.
an animal used to humans, honestly they arent that bad God didnt croc dundee teach you americans anything
Quote:
Many babies have survived dropping from a balcony - none I think have survived being dropped in front of a crocodile.
hmmmm well actually i think you'll find that the croc didnt attack his daughter when she was in the water with it, i really doubt how dangerous this crocadile was.
sure the man is an idiot but i think some americans have gone back into dropbear mode
Old 01-09-2004, 01:03 AM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
were these american crocadile handlers watching the film that was broadcast around the world?, did they see the other crocadile handlers with Steve Irwin making sure nothing did go wrong?, it just amuses me that everyone at the show werent horrified because they knew that the croc handlers were in control.
They were fellow AUSTRALIANS who also handle Crocodiles. As for the handler - who cares. Anything could have happened. Would you risk your child only a couple of feet from the crododile?
Quote:

an animal used to humans, honestly they arent that bad God didnt croc dundee teach you americans anything
You're never in control of wild animals - no matter HOW used to humans they are. Look at the tiger attack against the Las Vegas act - can't think of their name at the moment.

Yeah - dundee taught us that he's not too smart either. You know - if you want us to think of Australians as dumb - just tell us that Dundee and Irwin represent the smartest of Australians.
Quote:

hmmmm well actually i think you'll find that the croc didnt attack his daughter when she was in the water with it, i really doubt how dangerous this crocadile was.
Maybe you should go swim with a crocodile and find out. And actually she didn't swim with the crocodile - it was a python I think - or some sort of snake.
Quote:

sure the man is an idiot but i think some americans have gone back into dropbear mode
Dropbear mode? Just because we think he was an idiot and that a crocodile is dangerous and a one month old should NOT have been there? It not only was stupid - it completely went against park rules by the way. You can think what you want - but I haven't heard one crocodile expert outside or inside Australia who has stuck up for him and said that it wasn't dangerous. He's brainless idiot - pure and simple. It's one thing to put his own life in danger - it's another to put his kid's life in danger.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-09-2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:33 AM   #28
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
They were fellow AUSTRALIANS who also handle Crocodiles. As for the handler - who cares. Anything could have happened. Would you risk your child only a couple of feet from the crododile?
sorry i just asumed you were talking about American croc handlers because we havent heard much condemnation down here... so you dont think his experiance counts for anything? i said i wouldnt do that but he knows what he is doing so i dont think it is right for me to say he was acting dangerously....
Quote:
You're never in control of wild animals - no matter HOW used to humans they are. Look at the tiger attack against the Las Vegas act - can't think of their name at the moment.
your never entirely in control when driving, Irwin said how when you go out driving you may think your a competent driver but you arent in control of the other traffic, he still says he was in complete control and the spectaters agree...
i must be the only australian to like the Croc Dundee movies, there great
Quote:
Maybe you should go swim with a crocodile and find out. And actually she didn't swim with the crocodile - it was a python I think - or some sort of snake.
she was out there splashing around acting as "bait" for some stunt with her mum...
Quote:
Dropbear mode? Just because we think he was an idiot and that a crocodile is dangerous and a one month old should NOT have been there? It not only was stupid - it completely went against park rules by the way. You can think what you want - but I haven't heard one crocodile expert outside or inside Australia who has stuck up for him and said that it wasn't dangerous. He's brainless idiot - pure and simple. It's one thing to put his own life in danger - it's another to put his kid's life in danger.
no i mean dropbear mode because of the few attacks most have been in the northern territory in the wild where they have grown big, and most could have been avoided if the victims had acted responsibly.... i dont think his intentions are wrong, to say he is putting his kids life endanger is neglecting why he did it in the first place, his children need to know about crocs they have to be "croc savvy" as he puts it, teaching them now could save there lives later
Old 01-09-2004, 01:39 AM   #29
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Are you kidding? What the hell can a 4 week old baby learn about crocs. A little young don't you think? He is an idiot. As far as I am concerned, this guy only cares about money and this was about publicity at the expense of his baby. And, his wife is an idiot also.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:48 AM   #30
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Are you kidding? What the hell can a 4 week old baby learn about crocs. A little young don't you think? He is an idiot. As far as I am concerned, this guy only cares about money and this was about publicity at the expense of his baby. And, his wife is an idiot also.
hey im not saying i would do that, his children will grow up with crocs, when do you think would be the right time (if at all), i would think 5 is too young to be riding motorbikes and 9 to young to be driving but many of my friends who grew up on farms learnt that young and im not going to criticise there methods because now my friends are incredibly skilled drivers and can handle themselves on a bike or in a car... as for being just publicity, i personally dont think so, and if it was it hasnt turned out how he wanted, he seems genuinely distressed during his interview
Old 01-09-2004, 01:56 AM   #31
jerseydevil

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing about his repeated "he has to be croc savvy" sorry - but a four month old can hardly lift it's head - let alone comprehend a crocodile.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 AM   #32
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
as for being just publicity, i personally dont think so, and if it was it hasnt turned out how he wanted, he seems genuinely distressed during his interview
Yeah, so did Michael Jackson when he was an idiot.

There are things that kids learn when they are young because they are being raised by parents that learned it when they were young. That's fine. But you have to use some common sense. You do not put a gun in the hands of a 3 year old and say let's go hunting, just because you hunt and are good at it. You do not put your 5 year old on a motorcycle and say ride, because you need to learn to do something I grew up doing. We are not talking here about piano lessons. And you do not expose a 4 week old baby to the dangers of a wild animal like a croc, just because you grew up with learning how to deal with crocs.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 AM   #33
jerseydevil

Quote:
as for being just publicity, i personally dont think so, and if it was it hasnt turned out how he wanted, he seems genuinely distressed during his interview
He's only distressed because it was a publicity stunt - it just didn't get him the publicity he wanted. You know - he does many commercials over here - companies aren't going to want some looney who oputs his kids in danger representing their products. Animal Planet who airs his show - also condemned his actions too. He's upset because he didn't think about the negative reaction.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-09-2004, 02:04 AM   #34
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
just because you grew up with learning how to deal with crocs.
no i wasnt talking about him growing up with crocs i meant his kids are going to have to grow up with crocs and they will have to learn how to deal with them...
Quote:
He's only distressed because it was a publicity stunt - it just didn't get him the publicity he wanted. You know - he does many commercials over here - companies aren't going to want some looney who oputs his kids in danger representing their products. Animal Planet who airs his show - also condemned his actions too. He's upset because he didn't think about the negative reaction.
that could also be the case but he seemed more distressed that his actions werent wrong and people misunderstood him, it wasnt ohhh **** their goes that ad, i dont know if you saw it over in america but it was an interview on A Current Affair with Tracy Grimshaw....
Old 01-09-2004, 02:10 AM   #35
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
no i wasnt talking about him growing up with crocs i meant his kids are going to have to grow up with crocs and they will have to learn how to deal with them...
I understood what you were saying. And as I said, fine let his kids grow up learning about crocs, but he needs to use common sense. Re-read my other post.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-09-2004, 02:15 AM   #36
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
I understood what you were saying. And as I said, fine let his kids grow up learning about crocs, but he needs to use common sense. Re-read my other post.
well "just because you grew up with learning how to deal with crocs." that sounded to me as if you were saying Irwins reason for doing it was because thats how he grew up, when it was for the benefit of his children, i dont think thats how Irwin was raised
Old 01-09-2004, 02:15 AM   #37
jerseydevil

Quote:
that could also be the case but he seemed more distressed that his actions werent wrong and people misunderstood him, it wasnt ohhh **** their goes that ad, i dont know if you saw it over in america but it was an interview on A Current Affair with Tracy Grimshaw....
A Current Affair, if it's the same one that originates out in the US - is the equivalent of the Enquire and those kind of sensational magazines. It's not like A Current Affair is much of a legitimate news source or has serious journalists. It goes for the sensationalism - that is all.

And of course he's distressed people think he's misunderstood and an idiot - because he is.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-09-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:24 AM   #38
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
A Current Affair, if it's the same one that originates out in the US - is the equivalent of the Enquire and those kind of sensational magazines. It's not like A Current Affair is much of a legitimate news source or has serious journalists. It goes for the sensationalism - that is all.

And of course he's distressed people think he's misunderstood and an idiot - because he is.
not liking A Current Affair is beside the point... it had the interview, thats all i was saying... most Australians have always thought he's an idiot and to bring this back on topic he should never go near an australian of the year award regardless of this incident
saying that who would have thought an australian would be defending the actions of Steve Irwin against two americans
Old 01-09-2004, 02:26 AM   #39
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
well "just because you grew up with learning how to deal with crocs." that sounded to me as if you were saying Irwins reason for doing it was because thats how he grew up, when it was for the benefit of his children, i dont think thats how Irwin was raised
How is this baby at this time in its life going to benefit by what he did? Like I said, this isn't piano lessons we're talking about.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 01-09-2004, 02:29 AM   #40
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
How is this baby at this time in its life going to benefit by what he did? Like I said, this isn't piano lessons we're talking about.
did i say he would, Irwin thinks that his baby would... he also talked about babies comprehending lots of stuff when their in the womb and blah blah im just giving his reasons im not going to justify them for him
EDIT: sorry re-reading that it seems a tad rude, sorry