Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2004, 09:52 PM   #21
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by trolls' bane
Wow. Wish I knew that. Where do people get those letters any way, are they in some sort of book?
Go here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:52 PM   #22
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Re: did sam go to Valinor???

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
After reading the LotR, one of my biggest questions has been if sam did go to valinor. I mean, tolkien didnt leave much hanging, but the only clue was frodo mysteriously saying " your time may come". so for a long time I had no idea. but now,after finishing the war of the ring, i feel like tolkiens intended epilogue did imply sams eventual departure. But i still want to hear everyone elses opinion on this.
Yes sir, yes sir he did.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #23
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Re: Re: did sam go to Valinor???

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamigar
Yes sir, yes sir he did.
Yes, isn't it in the Appendicies? Sam gives the Red Book of Westmarch to Elanor and goes into the West, I think.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:46 PM   #24
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Re: Re: did sam go to Valinor???

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Yes, isn't it in the Appendicies? Sam gives the Red Book of Westmarch to Elanor and goes into the West, I think.
Yes and it's posted earlier in this thread

Here is what I posted:

There is more to it as well, this is from the Appendices:

Quote:
In year 61 of the 4th age:
Death of Mistress Rose, wife of Master Samwise, on Mid-year's Day. On September 22 Master Samwise rides out from Bag End. He comes to the Tower Hills, and is last seen by Elanor, to whom he gives the Red Book afterwards kept by the Fairbairns. Among them the tradition is handed down from Elanor that Samwise passed the Towers, and went to the Grey Havens, and passed over the Sea, last of the Ring-bearers.

In year 120 of the 4th age:
In this year on March 1st came at last the Passing of King Elessar. It is said that the beds of Meriadoc and Peregrin were set beside the bed of the great king. Then Legolas built a greay ship in Ithilien, and sailed down Anduin and so over the Sea; and with him, it is said, went Gimli the Dwarf. And when that ship passed an end was come in Middle-earth of the Fellowship of the Ring.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-06-2004, 08:52 AM   #25
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

While on the subject, where does Tolkien say that the spirit goes once their bodies die? Does he explain the idea of Heaven?

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #26
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
While on the subject, where does Tolkien say that the spirit goes once their bodies die? Does he explain the idea of Heaven?
well in Morgoth's Ring, Tolkien sort of tells that Men's spirits go to be with Iluvatar after they die (in the tale of Adanel which is in the Athrabeth). since Hobbits are a race of Men (I'm pretty sure) then that's where their souls would go too. As far as Dwarves go, I think that they believe that they stay in Mandos until the end of the world and then they help aule rebuild the earth.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #27
Nimbrethil
Sapling

But my biggest question is: If all "the ring owner" (like we say at germany) meeting again at Valinor?
When Gimli and Legolas arrive this land - Frodo, Bilbo and Sam too, were deap lond time.
in case Frodo became a longer life ... then he could meet Legolas and Gimli.

Nimbrethil
I´m sorry about my english - i think many mistakes... *lol*
Old 02-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #28
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Nimbrethil
But my biggest question is: If all "the ring owner" (like we say at germany) meeting again at Valinor?
When Gimli and Legolas arrive this land - Frodo, Bilbo and Sam too, were deap lond time.
in case Frodo became a longer life ... then he could meet Legolas and Gimli.

Nimbrethil
I´m sorry about my english - i think many mistakes... *lol*
that's ok...I think thtat anyone who can speak 2 languages is awesome (I myself can speak a little french but not enough)

anyways...I don't think that any of the mortal ringbears could ever set foot upon aman (valinor) they were confined to Tol Eressea.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:13 PM   #29
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
that's ok...I think thtat anyone who can speak 2 languages is awesome (I myself can speak a little french but not enough)

anyways...I don't think that any of the mortal ringbears could ever set foot upon aman (valinor) they were confined to Tol Eressea.
Tuor did

--Linaewen
Old 02-06-2004, 11:26 PM   #30
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Tuor did
true, but didn't Iluvatar allow him to be joined with the Eldar? If that is true, then why couldn't Iluvatar have done that with all the Men who loved the elves???
Old 02-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #31
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
true, but didn't Iluvatar allow him to be joined with the Eldar? If that is true, then why couldn't Iluvatar have done that with all the Men who loved the elves???
Yes he was allowed to be one of the Eldar Race, however he was still technically a mortal, I just wanted to disprove your point

I believe Iluvatar allowed Tuor, mainly because of everything he did for the Eldar and for his close tie to Ulmo. Plus, the arguement could be made that Tuor was the most important Man in the history of Men to help achieve the path Iluvatar wanted for them. With that said, Tuor was really the father of the Kings of Men. In addition, his marriage with Idril helped as well and if it wasn't for her, Tuor would not have gone into the West to begin with, as he didn't want to, but did so for her...

--Linaewen
Old 02-07-2004, 01:13 AM   #32
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Yes he was allowed to be one of the Eldar Race, however he was still technically a mortal, I just wanted to disprove your point

I believe Iluvatar allowed Tuor, mainly because of everything he did for the Eldar and for his close tie to Ulmo. Plus, the arguement could be made that Tuor was the most important Man in the history of Men to help achieve the path Iluvatar wanted for them. With that said, Tuor was really the father of the Kings of Men. In addition, his marriage with Idril helped as well and if it wasn't for her, Tuor would not have gone into the West to begin with, as he didn't want to, but did so for her...
point proven

wouldn't he have just withered away there becasue of the difference in his fea compared to the fear of Elves? did Idril know that she married a man and not an elf? I mean what WAS she thinking
Old 02-07-2004, 01:17 AM   #33
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
point proven

wouldn't he have just withered away there becasue of the difference in his fea compared to the fear of Elves? did Idril know that she married a man and not an elf? I mean what WAS she thinking
She knew but, when their eyes first met they fell for each other and built from there, much to the dislike of Maeglin. He wouldn't have withered, because he was given immortality upon setting foot in the West. My only point was that he "technically" was a mortal in the sense of being born as one, but literally speaking, while there he was granted immortality

With that said, we are both "technically" right

--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 02-07-2004 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:23 AM   #34
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
She knew but, when their eyes first met they fell for each other and built from there, much to the dislike of Maeglin. He wouldn't have withered, because he was given immortality upon setting foot in the West. My only point was that he "technically" was a mortal in the sense of being born as one, but literally speaking, while there he was granted immortality

With that said, we are both "technically" right
ok truce
Old 02-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #35
matthew
Enting

Hey. I speak 2 languages: english and quenya. (polin quete quenya????????) i'm not very good of course.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote