FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
So then, where's the 'threat'?
Because it's just like taking a Dostoyevsky like Crime and Punishment and making a disney cartoon from it - complete with dolls and playing cards. It cheapens the original. jackson has cheapened Lord of the Rings enough by having dwarf tossing jokes, merry and pippin burping or farting, implying that pipeweed is pot, etc.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 06:31 PM   #22
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Because it's just like taking a Dostoyevsky like Crime and Punishment and making a disney cartoon from it - complete with dolls and playing cards. It cheapens the original. jackson has cheapened Lord of the Rings enough by having dwarf tossing jokes, merry and pippin burping or farting, implying that pipeweed is pot, etc.
Stop repeating the damn crap over and over, jeez...You are sounding like a broken record, we heard you the first 983 times...

That still isn't a threat, that's your opinion on the outcome of the movies...

The movies have still brought more fans to Tolkien than if there was not a movie...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 12-05-2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:35 PM   #23
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Stop repeating the damn crap over and over, jeez...You are sounding like a broken record, we heard you the first 983 times...
I'll repeat it as many times as I want to. If you don't want to hear it - then put me on ignore. i really don't care. What I'm tired of is hearing the movie fans make the comments they have made over and over again. YOU GUYS ARE SOUNDING LIKE A BROKEN RECORD.
Quote:

That still isn't a threat, that's your opinion on the outcome of the movies...

The movies have still brought more fans to Tolkien than if there was not a movie...
They have brought JACKSON fans - and Orlando Bloom fans. They are NOT racing to Oxford or England - they're racing to New Zealand.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 06:38 PM   #24
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
They have brought JACKSON fans - and Orlando Bloom fans. They are NOT racing to Oxford or England - they're racing to New Zealand.
lol this is comical. So you are saying that the movies haven't brought any TOLKIEN fans? If that's the case man, that's a pretty obtuse stance to take...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 06:41 PM   #25
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
I'll repeat it as many times as I want to. If you don't want to hear it - then put me on ignore. i really don't care. What I'm tired of is hearing the movie fans make the comments they have made over and over again. YOU GUYS ARE SOUNDING LIKE A BROKEN RECORD.

I have to disagree with you there. I have met a lot of people (and when I say a lot, I mean a lot) of people who have watched the movies, then read the books, soon after starting the Silmarillion, and ending up as Tolkien-fanatics (not as Jackson-fanatics).
Old 12-05-2003, 06:45 PM   #26
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
I have to disagree with you there. I have met a lot of people (and when I say a lot, I mean a lot) of people who have watched the movies, then read the books, soon after starting the Silmarillion, and ending up as Tolkien-fanatics (not as Jackson-fanatics).
same experience. JD of course you know that the movies brought lots of new readers.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
That's good - because I haven't met any. Some of my friends when FotR came out described the movies as Fast and Furious and when i said they really needed to read the books to understand that they shouldn't be like that - they said - "why should I? The movies are good enough." I have someone who didn't think there was any characterization and said the movies moved from one action sequence to another and she didn't like the movies - they said they would read the books after I told them the difference. I hope they do.

SGh has gotten a friend into reading the books - before she loved the movies. Now that she is reading the books - she is quickly becoming a movie hater. But that is only ONE person - in all the people I have talked to.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-05-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:56 PM   #28
jerseydevil

Quote:
lol this is comical. So you are saying that the movies haven't brought any TOLKIEN fans? If that's the case man, that's a pretty obtuse stance to take...
I did NOT say they didn't bring in ANY fans. I just don't think they brought in as many fans as you would like to beleive. They brought in MOVIE fans. People who want to go to new Zealand. Growing up - I wanted to go to Oxford and England. I have been to Oxford - although sadly only to drive through. But I was excited to be in Oxford and see the streets where Tolkien walked.

The movies are creating fans that want to go to New Zealand. Who want to see Jackson, to see Orland Bloom. I have no desire to go to New Zealand because of Lord of the Rings. The only reason I would like to see New Zealand is because it seem like a beautiful country. I will go to Oxford anf England to see the REAL Lord of the Rings location though. I want to see Tolkien's grave.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 07:04 PM   #29
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
That's good - because I haven't met any.
SGh has gotten a friend into reading the books - before she loved the movies. Now that she is reading the books - she is quickly becoming a movie hater. But that is only ONE person - in all the people I have talked to.
Geez. Get out more man. And I'd say you have it wrong, the movies brought more fanz to the books than YOU would like to believe.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #30
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by thranduil
Geez. Get out more man. And I'd say you have it wrong, the movies brought more fanz to the books than YOU would like to believe.
Did they? How do you know? YOu claim my statement is wrong - do you have anything to back yours up other than perception? I don't see a ton of people flying off and wanting to go to England - I do see a bunch of people wanting to go to New Zealand though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 08:06 PM   #31
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Amazingly diverted off-topic. Are we surprised? I say ban 'em. If they can't agree to simple ground rules of common courtesy, they shouldn't be here. There is no acceptable reason for assininity in the Moot.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:08 PM   #32
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Wow.

The mere fact that there are actual Tolkien fans who actually feel the novels are threatened by the appearance of the new films speaks volumes...and explains a lot.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:12 PM   #33
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Amazingly diverted off-topic. Are we surprised? I say ban 'em. If they can't agree to simple ground rules of common courtesy, they shouldn't be here. There is no acceptable reason for assininity in the Moot.
I'm wondering who you wish to be banned and who you thihk dragged this offtopic.

As for common curtesy - I was wondering if your definition is the way you acted about my avatar.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-05-2003, 08:16 PM   #34
Ruinel
Banned

Re: Book versus Film Peace Treaty Thead

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Here are my suggestions for the terms of our truce:

1. No blanket name-calling.
Ummm... you mean I can't call PJ a [something bad that I can't say here] ... oh, I'm sorry... I can't agree to that.

Quote:
2. Remember the popularity of the films are no threat to the books.
Yeah, dude, they never were.

Quote:
3. Keep in mind, our opinions are not life-and-death. This is supposed to be fun.
*yawn*
Quote:
There you have it!!!! I'm laying down the olive branch to all of my former sworn enemies. (Geez, I sorta feel like Henry Kissinger! Give me the next Nobel Peace Prize!) Okay, so come on over here, jerseydevil and Cirdan and the rest of you p..er, literal adaptation people...let's all have (((a group hug))) and then get in line for the opening of ROTK.
First of all, back the [heck] up, I'll give you something alright ...I'm not hugging any movie mor... errr ... *checks for SGH*... eh... vague screenplay lover (see? look... smilie).

Anyway... I think your bull [poopie] "peace offering" is just another way to stick it to the people who truely love Tolkien's work. How about this... you go and get LotR... read all three (FotR, TTT, and RotK) ... then we'll talk.

Last edited by Ruinel : 12-05-2003 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #35
Elf Girl
Lurker

Ruinel, I'm sure you mean all six...

In any case, I am using this moment to officially resign from all book/movie debates. I'm sick of how poisoned it's all gotten. You'll find me down in GM arguing about gay marraige.

Good-bye.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:30 PM   #36
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Ruinel, I'm sure you mean all six...
I do mean all six books, and the three parts that it is sold in the stores as.

We'll miss you Elf Girl, but I'm glad you are putting your efforts into something more constructive than going back and forth with these... misguided individuals.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #37
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
I will not claim that I have met many people who have watched the movies, then read the books, . . . since I have not.

One person I have spoken to that (1) did not read the books (2) saw FOTR in theatre.

He could not exactly follw the movie. He thought the movie was too rushed and did not explain everything in a proper fashion. He thought the movie was ok, but a bit long.

I consider him a bright guy, so when he says this, it makes me think of the movie as someone who is not familiar with Tolkien.

Since I am familiar with JRRT LOTR, it is easy for my mind to fillin the gaps that may be present in the PJ&CO LOTR. I did the same with Bakshi's version. (The Tolkien Sarcasm page does an excellent job of showing some of the short comings of Bakshi's film)

He may never read JRRT LOTR or see the other 2 films that PJ produced.

Another two friends of mine think that the Pippen & Merry Firework scene actually occured in the book. (I stopped disagreeing with them since there was no point in disagreeing with over a book/movie.)

Falagar I am glad that you have seen such response to the films.

JD,

I actually have an interest to go NZ, Australia and the UK as well as other areas of the world. (Whether I go is another matter. ) I will admit that before the films I did not think of NZ as a place to visit. (the movie did show some fantastic sceneary though) I still would see Australia before NZ.

BB,

I think a truce could be worked out, but more details will need to be worked out.

(1. ) sounds good on surface, but I would change it to:
People should be respectful of others. If they make statements, they should back up their statements with proofs and/or evidence that shows why they think the way they do.

This may still require sum finetuning and several amendments. After all the jerseydevil is in the details.

(2.) time will tell

(3.) yes this is supposed to be fun.

Purposely making statements and/or topics that are sure to generate a reaction, on an almost continous basis is not my idea of fun, although it would appear to be for other people.

If one is going to make outrageous claims/statements they should be able to back their claims/statements with facts. If facts are not available then clearly indicate that their claims/statements are their opinions.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 12-05-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:21 PM   #38
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
I'm wondering who you wish to be banned and who you thihk dragged this offtopic.
Now you know how we feel about every single thread in this forum. Even on threads where we were telling people about a new video that was out or a new review or something like that, someone somewhere came in bashing something about it and took the thread off-topic. That's happened to a number of threads in the movie forum...

--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 09:23 PM   #39
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I do mean all six books, and the three parts that it is sold in the stores as.

We'll miss you Elf Girl, but I'm glad you are putting your efforts into something more constructive than going back and forth with these... misguided individuals.
It's funny but there were no problems in this forum until the people who complained about every damn thing PJ and Co. did in every damn thread, even one's that didn't warrant it...

--Linaewen
Old 12-05-2003, 09:29 PM   #40
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
. . . someone somewhere came in bashing something about it and took the thread off-topic. That's happened to a number of threads in the movie forum...
I think that statement is a fair statement.

I also have noticed that a thread will proceed on a given topic, then someone will make a statement that is not related to the topic at hand. This will usually lead toward the path of
1=>reply
2=>counter-reply
3=>repeat steps 1&2

Perhaps something should be added in that "peace" offereing about not inserting off topic comments in a thread. or maybe having all replys ot off topic comments taken to a new thread.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Closed Thread