Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 12:14 PM   #21
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

" = Ditto.

I am always happy to help our beloved admin. staff decipher the meaning behind smiley faces and abbreviations.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:20 PM   #22
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
" = Ditto.

I am always happy to help our beloved admin. staff decipher the meaning behind smiley faces and abbreviations.
Oh thank you so much BB. Your're always a big help. Don't know how I ever made it through the books without you.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #23
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Oh thank you so much BB. Your're always a big help. Don't know how I ever made it through the books without you.
Well should hope that he didn't help you with the books anyway. He'd actually have to read them first to do that - wouldn't he?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-04-2003, 04:06 PM   #24
Telcontar
Enting

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by Balrog_of_Morgoth

I would politely disagree with the movie bashers.

I have my issues...especially with TTT, but on the other hand, I view these movies as the greatest gift that I, as a Tolkien fan could have hoped for. The movies are better than I ever dreamed they could be.

These last few years have been awesome for me, as a fan of the books. I still love the books the most, especially the Sil, but the movies have a special place in my heart as well.

You have to view them for what they are - just an interpretation. For me, seeing Gandalf so beautifully played, the Balrog, and just feeling the real essence of Middle-Earth has been an incredible rush.

I am extremely grateful.
Thanks Balrog_of_Morgoth,

You have captured my exact feelings. I could not have said it any better.
Kudos to BB for being so *brave* to strike against the purists .
Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 PM   #25
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Telcontar
Thanks Balrog_of_Morgoth,

You have captured my exact feelings. I could not have said it any better.
Kudos to BB for being so *brave* to strike against the purists .
You know I'm really sick and tired of the purist comments. There is NO ONE - you get it NO ONE - that expected a damn regurgitation of the book on the screen. We just expected it tot have some resemblance to the books - other than just the damn ring going off to mordor, character names and some battles. There is very little actually in the movies that happened in the books. Either the scenes have been overblown by action, or they have been completely changed.

Since you call us the purists with a deragatory tone and get away with it - I think we should call the obsessive movies fans - "movie morons" or mm for short. So from now on - BB - is the leader of the MM gang.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-04-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:14 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Kudos to BB for being so *brave* to strike against the purists
Just for the record, and BB knows this, I am not one of the big time movie haters, although I am more of a Tolkien fan. I have never said the movies were terrible or that they didn't capture Middle-earth to a point. I was however very disappointed at times, but I did enjoy the movies. The problem that I have with the attitude of some of the movie goers, is that they have not read the books and preach as though the movies are the gospel as it were. The so called purists would probably get along with these movie goers if they would just read the dang books and see the difference between the two.

The movie fans only, need to stop actiing as though PJ created LotRs when it was JRR Tolkien.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #27
Imric
Hobbit

For my own part, I am not a purist. I love these books dearly but find myself capable of equally enjoying a cinematic adaptation that perhaps could be most honestly described as '''loosely based" on the trilogy. Yes, I would have preferred a more faithful adaptation of the Professor's work, but this does not prevent me from enjoying LOTR in either medium. I simply regard each incarnation as a distinct entity, certainly giving primacy of place to the epic Tolkien penned, but making no apology for my childish glee as I sit down to yet another viewing of an installment ( I've seen each film about ten times so far). And there I leave it.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:55 PM   #28
jerseydevil

Lord of the Rings the movies - even if they were NOT Lord of the Rings - would not be my favorite or even close to my favorite movies. I don't think they are very good. As for saruman just disappearing and not being resolved - that is just sloppy. if it wasn't for the name - I would probably not even being going to see them in the theater - or if i was planning on it - and I missed them - it would be no big deal.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-04-2003, 07:30 PM   #29
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Perhaps some of us movie-lovers have a few teensy-weensy little habits that might annoy some of the rest of you, but you Tolkien book purists out there need to take a long hard look in the mirror at yourselves.

I see...

1. posters who are quick to point out that they weren't looking for a strict interpretation of the books and then in the next breath go on and on and on and ON about the things they hated that were changed.

2. posters who tell us at least ten bajillion times a day that Jackson is "a hack who only gave us a mindless action flick." I don't mind opposing views but PLEEEEEEEEEASE give us some variety!

3. posters who talk about how the films should have been more like the books but make it clear with their posts that they really never clearly understood the books they profess to love so much.

4. posters who appear unable or unwilling to even acknowledge the massive popularity and critical acclaim of the Jackson films. There are many debates here that are strictly subjective but this one is not one of them.

5. posters who don't pay enough attention to the sheer brilliance and complete logic of my arguements in defense of these classic films. You'd think you guys would realize by now that I'm always right.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #30
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
posters who tell us at least ten bajillion times a day that posters who talk about how the films should have been more like the books but make it clear with their posts that they really never clearly understood the books they profess to love so much.
Excuse me? On a Tolkien board, that's cutting very close to a flame, but we'll see what the admins think. You think your understanding is somehow deeper than the anti-movie crowd's, simply because you disagree with them? Could you provide quotes to spport your case?
Quote:
posters who appear unable or unwilling to even acknowledge the massive popularity and critical acclaim of the Jackson films. There are many debates here that are strictly subjective but this one is not one of them.
What does the movies' critical acclaim have to do with our debates? No one is denying that they are well recieved by critics, and the majority of the population. Just because they think it's good doesn't mean we're wrong if we think it's bad. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote:
posters who don't pay enough attention to the sheer brilliance and complete logic of my arguements in defense of these classic films. You'd think you guys would realize by now that I'm always right.
This may be true. Feel free to PM or point out here (because I don't frequent the other debate threads, sorry) to me an argument or arguments that you feel has not been payed attention too. I will then be glad to pay attention to it. *small voice* Wow, big enough ego? 'sheer brilliance'? A little modesty, perhaps? No, please don't bring the smiley to your defense. I was just trying to bring to your attention that it looks like you have an over-inflated ego, since people (well, I can only speak for me) generally only see the smiley applying to the last sentence.

Huh? While I was previewing my post, I noted that my attempt to make the text smaller resulted in a funny font. When did that happen?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:42 PM   #31
jerseydevil

Quote:
Perhaps some of us movie-lovers have a few teensy-weensy little habits that might annoy some of the rest of you, but you Tolkien book purists out there need to take a long hard look in the mirror at yourselves.

I see...
Yes - let's see. Maybe you can get these points through your thick skull.
Quote:

1. posters who are quick to point out that they weren't looking for a strict interpretation of the books and then in the next breath go on and on and on and ON about the things they hated that were changed.
We can hate the changes Jackson made - without expecting a complete regurgatation of the books.
Quote:

2. posters who tell us at least ten bajillion times a day that Jackson is "a hack who only gave us a mindless action flick." I don't mind opposing views but PLEEEEEEEEEASE give us some variety!
He is not the type of director he claimed to be when he first started working on the project. He did develop an action film - pure and simple.
Quote:

3. posters who talk about how the films should have been more like the books but make it clear with their posts that they really never clearly understood the books they profess to love so much.
That is hilarious since you haven't said one single thing that is right about the books. I understand the books far better than you ever could.
Quote:

4. posters who appear unable or unwilling to even acknowledge the massive popularity and critical acclaim of the Jackson films. There are many debates here that are strictly subjective but this one is not one of them.
ASs I have repeatedly said - popular movie does not equate to GOOD movie. Star War Attack of the Clones was a massively popular movie - however - it was not a really good movie.
Quote:

5. posters who don't pay enough attention to the sheer brilliance and complete logic of my arguements in defense of these classic films. You'd think you guys would realize by now that I'm always right.
When you finally read the books and can back your statements up with things that are ACTUALLY in the books - instead of your blind support of Jackson.

READ THE BOOKS!!!!!

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-04-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:22 PM   #32
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

jd, honestly, do you, I, or any other "Purist" give a tinker's cuss about what some puffed up, megalomaniacal, self-important popinjay who never cracked the spine on a Tolkien book thinks, anyway?

So what we get called "Purists"?

So what someone gets called a "movie moron"?

Just let it slide, bro. Some things just ain't worth the headache.

We see clearly someone has piped up who can't build his/her/its own argument without tearing someone else's down first. No logic, no reason is offered, just a snooty, look-down-the-nose "pooh-pooh" to those of us who actually know what we're talking about.

Someone who wastes ten thousand words saying "I hate you! Nyah, nyah, nyah!" ain't worth the time of day.

Sister GH, glad to see you.

BB, instead of getting on your high horse, how about you start trying to build some syllogisms to reinforce your argument? The issue on the table is "Jackson's LotR is as bad as Dino deLaurentis' Dune". If you don't want to discuss the topic, go back to your narcissitic exercises of sophistry in your own mentally autoerotic threads. If you have something to add to the discussion at hand, cough it up. Refute the assertion.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #33
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Oh, and yes, BB, by all means, let me reiterate and amplify jd's spot-on assertion:

READ THE BOOKS BEFORE YOU EMBARASS YOURSELF FURTHER!!!

[So if I put a smiley face does that mean all is forgiven and we are busom buddies???]
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:31 PM   #34
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
jd, honestly, do you, I, or any other "Purist" give a tinker's cuss about what some puffed up, megalomaniacal, self-important popinjay who never cracked the spine on a Tolkien book thinks, anyway?

So what someone gets called a "movie moron"?

Just let it slide, bro. Some things just ain't worth the headache.
I needed something to easily refer to the ignorant people who haven't read the books - but criticize our complaining of them. They have no idea what the books are like and they are missing out on the real beauty of Middle Earth and the characters.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 PM   #35
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
honestly, do you, I, or any other "Purist" give a tinker's cuss about what some puffed up, megalomaniacal, self-important popinjay who never cracked the spine on a Tolkien book thinks, anyway?

In point of fact, I was first labeled a 'purist' in This Post, by my old, dear friend, Nolendil, who is one of the people whom I have the most respect for when it comes to all things regarding tolkien. Those who follow that link will read a succinct and still accurate definition of how I, as a 'purist', feel. The very fact that BB finds such a purist view as something scornful only serves to show how woefully inadaquate his cognicative faculties are.

However, in response to
Quote:
posters who tell us at least ten bajillion times a day that Jackson is "a hack who only gave us a mindless action flick." I don't mind opposing views but PLEEEEEEEEEASE give us some variety!
I think I shall start a thread dedicated to imaginative ways of expressing our displeasure with variety suitable to his most austere and erudite tastes.

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-05-2003 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:04 AM   #36
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I share in your assessment of Nolendil, Wayfarer.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:43 AM   #37
Ruinel
Banned

bropous, I have to say... the first film didn't suck nearly as much as the second film. Not to say that the first film didn't suck, cuz oh buddy, did it ever. [EDITED]

.... waits for the usual admin edit.

Last edited by Sister Golden Hair
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 AM   #38
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Okay, let's chill people.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-05-2003, 02:09 AM   #39
Telcontar
Enting

And people wonder why there's so much hate in the world!!!

This is almost like a religious strife. One interpretation of the "Bible" over the other. Let's all kiss and make up and get this behind us. As soon as ROTK is released, the fires should cool, hopefully.

Sorry for venting on the book fans earlier. I guess I was just tired of hearing that the movies were junk when I thought they were entertaining even though they strayed from the book (sometimes severely). However, I can understand the reasoning for some of the changes, mainly to capture the non-reader's interests and for time constraints. I think you can separate the two, where you can enjoy each on a different level.

A movie can never compete with your imagination.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:55 AM   #40
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I've been changing my mind over the films during the last few months as well. I still think the FOTR is a great film. I'd probably give it 9/10 as a film, not adaptation. I'd give TTT a 7/10 as a film. The spoilers I have read about the ROTK have left me very disapointed. I find it very sad the team who made the movies went to so much trouble to make little bits of armour but somehow messed up a lot of the script. I recognize the movies' faults, but I can also see their good points as well.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 12-05-2003 at 03:56 AM.
Closed Thread