Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-29-2003, 04:04 PM   #21
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Some teachers are great, some teachers are ok, others are HORID.

Same with students a few students are disruptive (mostly only in lower level classes), some students are average, others are really good.

Students have a right to complain about their teachers. They should just deal with it - that too is part of their job.
I agree, you've got good teachers and you have bad teachers. (By the way, isn't 'horrid' with two r's? You know, HOBBIT, hating school is no excuse for not going. )

I had some good teachers in my life (like my math teacher, god bless her shy lil' heart, she always gave me more credit than was due), some avarage ones and one or two bad teachers (like the one who started her year with giving us a three-hour lecture on how she ran her class. Gah!).

But going to a website to rate them is, well.... stupid (sorry) IMO. But hey, if it releaves your stress, don't let me stop you.

It's a good thing that at my college, they did a schoolwide poll last year about what the students thought of the lessons and the way they were taught by the teachers. Teachers need some feedback from their class just as well as everyone. Is students can't tell them how they experience the lessons, then how can a teacher ever attune his or her lessons better to her students?
Old 11-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
But going to a website to rate them is, well.... stupid (sorry) IMO. But hey, if it releaves your stress, don't let me stop you.
Why shoudln't they be rated? The students are their customers in manner of speaking.

One thing that gets me - is that teachers find it insulting to be retested and stuff. Why shouldn't they get retested?
Quote:

It's a good thing that at my college, they did a schoolwide poll last year about what the students thought of the lessons and the way they were taught by the teachers. Teachers need some feedback from their class just as well as everyone. Is students can't tell them how they experience the lessons, then how can a teacher ever attune his or her lessons better to her students?
How is this different than than the website? The website let's everyone view the results. It also let's peopel see if the person is just giving a teacher bad marks fro idiotic reasons. Like some students just hate a teacher because they won't give them free passes or something (talking about junior high and high school - not college). Some teachers just think they are above reproach and they aren't.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:24 PM   #23
Earniel

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
How is this different than than the website?
Because IMO that poll has more validity than a website, is also more specific and that teachers may actually consider the comments on the poll more than those posted on a website that they might not even know exists? Just a thought, though.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:39 PM   #24
jerseydevil

Quote:
Because IMO that poll has more validity than a website, is also more specific and that teachers may actually consider the comments on the poll more than those posted on a website that they might not even know exists? Just a thought, though.
The opinions are still coming from the same students and the students casn write what they want in the ratemyteacher site - instead of trying to shoehorn their answers into "yes" or "no" answers. if the teachers don't know the site doesn't exist - it doesn't make the opinions of the students any less valid. Does a tree make a sound if no one is around to hear it?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-29-2003, 04:51 PM   #25
Earniel

First of all, that poll in our school was rather extensive and didn't feature yes or no questions only. Secondly, I'm looking at this from the angle of 'What use does it has?'

The fact that the teachers don't know the site, doesn't make the opinions of the students any less valid. Then again, I never said it would. The point I'm trying to make is, that this website isn't going to change things for the better.

And yes, IMO trees make sound even if there nobody around to hear it.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #26
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

just to let you all know pretty much all of my teachers know of this site and they know to ignore it so i dont think many teachers are taking this personally and i wouldnt be surprised if they already knew how students felt towards them.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:02 PM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
First of all, that poll in our school was rather extensive and didn't feature yes or no questions only. Secondly, I'm looking at this from the angle of 'What use does it has?'
How do you know the opinions are taken seriously? And are you able to expand your answers and give reasons for things?
Quote:

The fact that the teachers don't know the site, doesn't make the opinions of the students any less valid. Then again, I never said it would. The point I'm trying to make is, that this website isn't going to change things for the better.
I'm sure as the site gains popularity - the site will be known to the teachers. The thing is - the teachers have to actually care what their students think. Just like anyone else - teachers don't like criticism and will most likely just brush off the complaints.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-29-2003 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:03 PM   #28
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Yes, it is part of their job.

Of course not all students will like a teacher - even if that teacher is good!

Even more students will hate a teacher if they are ACTUALLY bad.

It comes with the territory.

Negative things about them should be expected from a teacher.

Don't like it? dont be a teacher!

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:16 PM   #29
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, it is part of their job.

Of course not all students will like a teacher - even if that teacher is good!

Even more students will hate a teacher if they are ACTUALLY bad.

It comes with the territory.

Negative things about them should be expected from a teacher.

Don't like it? dont be a teacher!
Their job is to teach and the student's job is to learn. As I said before, it is not their job to be physically or verbally abused, disrespected, or to have to deal with disruptive students. The classroom should not be a war zone, that a teacher has to spend valuable teaching time, defusing disruptive behavior. Unfortunately, you re right that it comes with the territory. That doesn't make it right or worth defending.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #30
HOBBIT

I didn't say it was their job - or if I did thats not what i meant.

It comes with their job.

If you can't take that , you shouldn't become a teacher.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 11-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #31
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I didn't say it was their job - or if I did thats not what i meant.

It comes with their job.

If you can't take that , you shouldn't become a teacher.
They shouldn't have to take that though. And although it comes with the job, it doesn't make it right. They become teachers because they like kids, or they are dedicated to education. They are not getting paid to be treated like crap, but it does come with the job and I think they do take it. That doesn't mean they have to like it. It doesn't make it okay.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-29-2003, 07:54 PM   #32
Earniel

Quote:
How do you know the opinions are taken seriously? And are you able to expand your answers and give reasons for things?
In the poll they took at our school? Well, it was reasonable extended, you could rate many aspects of the course and the way they were given, like difficulty of the course, help in class, sufficient course material, the number of essays, the contents of the courses ect... And give justifications for the way you rated.

I know they looked at the results afterwards, at least two teachers brought the results up later in class because some things had surprised them.

Quote:
The thing is - the teachers have to actually care what their students think. Just like anyone else - teachers don't like criticism and will most likely just brush off the complaints.
I'm not arguing, I said the first thing myself too. Teachers are after all quite human, despite whatever I thought about some of them during highschool. My point is, that the odds that teachers will use this site to know what their classes think of them, are marginally small.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:10 PM   #33
jerseydevil

Quote:
In the poll they took at our school? Well, it was reasonable extended, you could rate many aspects of the course and the way they were given, like difficulty of the course, help in class, sufficient course material, the number of essays, the contents of the courses ect... And give justifications for the way you rated.

I know they looked at the results afterwards, at least two teachers brought the results up later in class because some things had surprised them.
Yeah - we had those for my teachers in college (but not all). We never had them for high school though.
Quote:

I'm not arguing, I said the first thing myself too. Teachers are after all quite human, despite whatever I thought about some of them during highschool. My point is, that the odds that teachers will use this site to know what their classes think of them, are marginally small.
I agree with you there. I'm just saying - it gives students a chance to publicly state how they feel about their teachers. Other's may look at the site though - principal, board of education, PTA members. In that respect it's a good thing. if enough students have the same problem with a teacher - and it's publicly out there - it is a little difficult to just sweep it under the rug.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-29-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:31 PM   #34
HOBBIT

I never said anything about being disruptive in class or not showing teachers respect (some dont deserve it though).

you brought that up SGH

I simply said that students not liking you comes with the job.

Old 11-29-2003, 09:24 PM   #35
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I never said anything about being disruptive in class or not showing teachers respect (some dont deserve it though).

you brought that up SGH

I simply said that students not liking you comes with the job.
I realize that. It just seems that all that goes with the territory as you would say. I'm just sensing a (oh well, deal with it) attitude here. It's not just bad teachers that get treated badly.

I understand that there are bad teachers. I also know that most are good and dedicated to their students. Being an authority figure isn't easy. It doesn't seem to comand much respect. I'm not disagreeing with you that it comes with the job, only that it shouldn't have to be tolerated.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-29-2003, 10:14 PM   #36
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I admit, I can be harshly critical of my teachers, but I do try not to resort to verbal abuse when communicating criticisms that I think they need to hear and I really hate it when people don't give teachers the respect they deserve. My mother started teaching Kindergarten several years ago and while she insists that she loves it everyone else in the family constantly has to listen to her vent about the students, the other teachers and the overall crummyness of the job and she's one of the good teachers whose students love her. Not only that but she's slowly losing her mind because of the stress, she can't seem to remember anything that doesn't relate to her job. And as for having the vacations off, yes she has them off but she usually spends half her vacation days going in and cleaning her room or redoing it. So really, teaching isn't fun and even the bad ones don't deserve all the crap teachers get. A lot of them probably weren't that bad of teachers to start with and got bad after years of being under apprciated and unthanked for the work they do.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #37
Elf Girl
Lurker

Huh? Most of the reviews for my teachers were positive. I just went and gave some nice reviews to the teachers in my school. Why do you assume that students can't judge when homework is beneficial and classwork is helpful to learning?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:28 PM   #38
Ruinel
Banned

I agree with LuthienTinuviel, Earniel and SGH, and all the others who have a grip on reality of what the job of teaching really entails.

In response to some of the questions and comments posted here...
1) rate of pay for teachers goes up about $100 each year. That's per year, not per month or anything. Example, a new teacher makes $33,510/year and gets a raise to $33,610/year the following year. The rate of pay seems to follow this trend throughout a teacher's career.

2) I don't know anything about tenure in your state. Texas does not have tenure. However, teachers don't get fired very often because the school districts are so desperate to fill the positions with anybody.

3) Qualified teachers are leaving the teaching field. That's a fact. I think that the trend is going to be that there will be less and less caring, qualified teachers in the classroom, Hobbit. Fortunately for you, you will not see the worst of this trend until your own children are in public school. That will be when the old teachers finally retire, and the newer ones have found better jobs. And all you will be stuck with is people who don't like their jobs and only do it because they can't find a better one for lack of qualifications, etc. I also think that teaching will end up being a temporary position for people between jobs. It's actually already stated to take this trend in Texas where there is a critical shortage of teachers already.

LT and Sminty, I'm pretty freakin' shocked that these teachers did that (the "looking for a date" and molestation thing). That's what I mean, no one wants to be teachers anymore. The pay sucks, people constantly put you down for what you do, there's no respect, no support from anyone.

4) I don't see how a website with cutting comments by disgruntled, spoiled students who don't want to do homework, write reports or take tests is going to be of any help to a teacher and ultimately to the students, JD.

The poll that Earniel talked about seems to be a better resource for feedback than anything on that website.

I tell you what, if I had the power and the skills, I'd hack that site and fry it. (hmmm... maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud. )
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:59 PM   #39
Ruinel
Banned

Here's an article from the St. Louis Post Dispatch by Alexa Aguilar: Teachers get no respect as student rudeness rises

Personally, I don't think teachers should be teaching students civility and social skills. That's their parent's responsibility, even if they are failing at that job.

An excerpt...
Quote:
"The dramatic shift is parents' expectations for their kids," said Ed Harris, principal at Cahokia High. "It used to be that the parent and the school were in cahoots to make sure the student was doing the right thing. Now, the parent often sides with the kid.

"I've had parents fuss about a student having an hour-and-a-half detention," he said. "It's not popular for there to be real consequences anymore."

Baiter said he, too, has noticed an increase in the number of parents who question the schools when a student is punished for poor behavior.

"In the 'good ol' days' there were consequences at home, too," Baiter said. "That's still alive, but not to the same extent."

Last edited by Ruinel : 11-30-2003 at 08:06 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:36 PM   #40
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
In response to some of the questions and comments posted here...
1) rate of pay for teachers goes up about $100 each year. That's per year, not per month or anything. Example, a new teacher makes $33,510/year and gets a raise to $33,610/year the following year. The rate of pay seems to follow this trend throughout a teacher's career.
if a teacher gets 3 months of vacation a year - that is equivalent to over 42,000 a year. No one's job is easy and neither are teachers. But teachers only work 9 - 10 months out of the year too.

Quote:

2) I don't know anything about tenure in your state. Texas does not have tenure. However, teachers don't get fired very often because the school districts are so desperate to fill the positions with anybody.
So if you have been a teacher for so long - you don't receive tenure? never heard of any state that didn't have tenure so far. By the way - Texas does have tenure - at least at the college level - because Texas A&M has tenure.
Quote:

3) Qualified teachers are leaving the teaching field. That's a fact. I think that the trend is going to be that there will be less and less caring, qualified teachers in the classroom, Hobbit. Fortunately for you, you will not see the worst of this trend until your own children are in public school. That will be when the old teachers finally retire, and the newer ones have found better jobs. And all you will be stuck with is people who don't like their jobs and only do it because they can't find a better one for lack of qualifications, etc. I also think that teaching will end up being a temporary position for people between jobs. It's actually already stated to take this trend in Texas where there is a critical shortage of teachers already.

LT and Sminty, I'm pretty freakin' shocked that these teachers did that (the "looking for a date" and molestation thing). That's what I mean, no one wants to be teachers anymore. The pay sucks, people constantly put you down for what you do, there's no respect, no support from anyone.
people put down everyone. The 9 - 5ers put down managers, office workers put down corporate managers, welcome to the club.
Quote:

4) I don't see how a website with cutting comments by disgruntled, spoiled students who don't want to do homework, write reports or take tests is going to be of any help to a teacher and ultimately to the students, JD.
How do you know they're all spoiled and that some of the complaints aren't legitimate. I had several teachers I would have complained about had the site existed when I went to school. My first year of spanish I got straight A's because we actually learned the language and the grammar. Second year - I had a different teacher. She just gave us a list of 50 words we had to memorize for the week and that was it. I almost failed that class - almost prevented me from graduating. I hated that class because she sucked as a teacher. A teacher like that deserves to be complained about on a webiste. I also had other teachers - like the chain smoking one who used to come into class and put the chalk in his mouth and try to write on the chalkboard with his unlit cigarette. He was really brilliant - he would just copy the problems right from the book and half times he would still get them wrong.

Before you just write off the students complaints about their teachers as being spoiled brats - you might want to look at your own computer teacher. You know I think she's an idiot and so do you.
Quote:

The poll that Earniel talked about seems to be a better resource for feedback than anything on that website.
Anything that gives feedback is a good resource. YOu just have to - as with Earniel's poll - is look at it properly. You think people don't just write - "sucks as a teacher" on those things?
Quote:

I tell you what, if I had the power and the skills, I'd hack that site and fry it. (hmmm... maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud. )
Why afraid of a little criticism on a website? Sorry - but a lot of teachers deserve criticism.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-30-2003 at 08:40 PM.