Finally got out of the kitchen! I'm tired too. I made

turkey and gravy
cornbread dressing
delux mashed potatoes
broccoli salad
corn
sweet potatoes
cranberry relish

It all turned out extra delicious, (which was nice!) but I was really too tired to savor it all. Luckily I have lots of leftovers, so it should taste really good tomorrow. I did it! It's over! Yea! I'm thankful.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:24 PM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Yeah, I'm stuffed too, and sleepy. what the heck is in turkey that makes you sleepy?
It's some natural chemical I can't remember what it is. They even just had about it on tv too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:07 AM   #23
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
It's some natural chemical I can't remember what it is. They even just had about it on tv too.
triptofan or something like that. but it isnt actually triptofan that makes you sleepy. thats just a myth that was popular in the 90s for some reason. its just the fact that you stuff your face and your body slows down all its normal processies and wants to not move for a while so it can digest and you get well... sleepy. but its not just turkey. try eating 8 big macs. youll get the same feeling.

hey how bout bush's surprise appearance in bagdad for thanksgiving with the troops. was that a shocker or what. as much as i disagree with a lot of the things the guy does that was a definite coup. i was thoroughly impressed when i heard about him leaving not only his cosey family on thanksgiving but leaving the whole country and going to the heart of war torn iraq to surprise the troops and join THEM on a day when Im sure they all really wanted to be with THEIR families. cudos to bush.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:11 AM   #24
jerseydevil

I thought it was awesome. I asked my brother, who is in the navy, what he thought and he thought it was the greatest thing.

The media is completely beside themselves and shocked that he was able to do something without them ever finding out about it. The troops were surprised and happy to see him and that is the main thing.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #25
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
hey how bout bush's surprise appearance in bagdad for thanksgiving with the troops. was that a shocker or what. as much as i disagree with a lot of the things the guy does that was a definite coup.
I've been holding off on this to avoid spoiling the holiday mood, but....you've gotta be kidding!

Six months after the "Liberation" of Iraq, after being told the liberators would be pelted with flowers, with 130,000 troops in place (remember, was supposed to be down to 20-30,000 by now), with an American-appointed government in place...

The only way the President of the US is able to go to Liberated Iraq is on a secret unannounced night-time visit, landing with windows blacked and landing lights off; he doesn't dare leave a highly secured air force base; he doesn't dare go out and meet any locals; he doesn't dare spend the night;he doesn't even dare announce his presence; in fact he has to bug out after two hours before the locals find out he's there and set-up a welcoming committee.

All because of a bunch of "dead-enders" who are "on the run".

Short of wearing big floppy shoes, a red Bozo nose and a Kick Me
sign, I can't imagine greater moments in self-humiliation.

I bet the Iraqi Baathists and resistance fighters are peeing themselves with laughter.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:32 PM   #26
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
I've been holding off on this to avoid spoiling the holiday mood, but....you've gotta be kidding!

Six months after the "Liberation" of Iraq, after being told the liberators would be pelted with flowers, with 130,000 troops in place (remember, was supposed to be down to 20-30,000 by now), with an American-appointed government in place...
Well - actually - except for the reduction of troops - all that DID happen. IN the beginning they did cheer us and gave our troops flowers. They are currently unhappy that the infastrutrure is taking longer to reestablish. YOu can't rebuild a country that has been in decay for decades overnight.
Quote:

All because of a bunch of "dead-enders" who are "on the run".
That doesn't reduce the fact that they are causing problems. It diesn't matter if the redevelopment of Iraq takes longer - just as long as we stay there until the job is done. Whatever it takes.
Quote:

Short of wearing big floppy shoes, a red Bozo nose and a Kick Me
sign, I can't imagine greater moments in self-humiliation.
I disagree. I think it was great for the troops and for the Iraq Councel to see him. They were there as well as the troops.
Quote:

I bet the Iraqi Baathists and resistance fighters are peeing themselves with laughter.
What do you want - him to shaking hands with the Baathists? They just want to undermine the democracy we are trying to give to the common citizen of Iraq. They were in power and no longer there.

Anyway - this is about Thanksgiving. If you want to continue discuss this - start a new thread.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-28-2003, 04:05 PM   #27
azalea
Long lost mooter

JD, I'm sorry you had to have your dinner alone! I would have invited you if you lived closer.
Except that we didn't have ours yesterday this year, we're having it Saturday at my parents. My two yr old was very sick yesterday, and besides I didn't want any leftovers since we're going out of town.
We'll be having:
turkey
tofurkey
rice and gravy
dressing
curried fruit
green bean casserole
sweet potato souffle
pumpkin bread
cranberry sauce
and pie of some kind
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:11 PM   #28
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Anyway - this is about Thanksgiving. If you want to continue discuss this - start a new thread.
Fair enough- since I didn't introduce the issue, I'll back off and hope that those that did will do likewise.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:24 PM   #29
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Happy Thanksgiving 2004!

And a fine Happy Thanksgiving and long weekend cheers to you all!

(Everyone really, but especially to the folks in the States)
Old 11-24-2004, 03:03 PM   #30
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

In Canada, Thanksgiving is the second Sunday of October IIRC. I didn't celebrate it this year at all because no one celebrates it in Sweden and I forgot about it. Besides there's kind of no point when I'm away from family and anyone I know who would celebrate Thanksgiving.

I do love turkey, sweet potatoes (which we erroneously call yams in Canada. We call yams sweet potatoes), cranberry sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, brussels srouts... *drool*

LOL Tofurkey!! What I don't get... is if you're vegetarian, why are you eating something in the shape of meat?

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Yanks!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:45 PM   #31
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
In Canada, Thanksgiving is the second Sunday of October IIRC. I didn't celebrate it this year at all because no one celebrates it in Sweden and I forgot about it. Besides there's kind of no point when I'm away from family and anyone I know who would celebrate Thanksgiving.
You could celebrate it with Jonathan. The REAL Thanksgiving that is - since we celebrate the real one - Canada just copied it from us (you know - it's a celebration of the Plymouth Colony).

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #32
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I do love turkey, mashed potatoes etc but I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, JD
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #33
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanksgiving is only celebrated in Canada and the USA my anthropocentric friend. (JD)

I think it has lost a lot of its original meaning. Now it's more like happy Turkey Day. I have no problem with that though - I love turkey.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 11-24-2004, 05:23 PM   #34
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I do love turkey, mashed potatoes etc but I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, JD
You did last year "with" me.

Nurv - I know it's only an American/Canadian holiday - but last year Jonathan asked his mother if they could have turkey - so we virtually celebrated it. They didn't cook a full turkey though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #35
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

My mother and I had a Happy Turkey Day, not really Thanksgiving. We forgot about it this year.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 11-24-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #36
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
My mother and I had a Happy Turkey Day, not really Thanksgiving. We forgot about it this year.
yeah yeah - still celebrating Thanksgiving.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-24-2004, 06:40 PM   #37
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Happy Thanksgiving, Americans! Roast turkey's yummy.

*Gets ravenous looking at those food lists*

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-24-2004 at 06:52 PM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:48 PM   #38
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That Thanksgiving meal sounds insanely good, Lizra . You're making me greatly look forward to our own Thanksgiving celebration, which happens tomorrow .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
I thought it was awesome. I asked my brother, who is in the navy, what he thought and he thought it was the greatest thing.

The media is completely beside themselves and shocked that he was able to do something without them ever finding out about it. The troops were surprised and happy to see him and that is the main thing.
It's not the first time he's done that though, to the shock of the press. Usually when he goes to Iraq it's a dead secret. Remember that time he visited the airforce base? I don't recall how recently, I think a few months ago, but he suddenly appeared in Iraq earlier on too.

That's neat learning he did that on Thanksgiving . Could anyone post a link to a news site that covers the story?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #39
Pirate
Enting

Happy Turkey day! For thanksgiving I am making a mocha cheese cake with a chocolate crust and a hard dark chocolate shell completely from scratch and then everyone else is making their own dish to bring and share. We're all going down to my grandperant's farm to celebrate and eat lots and lots of food. I love thanksgiving! I hope everyone has fun!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #40
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm confused about this thread. Aren't posts 1-28 (the ones before Snowdog's bump) from last Thanksgiving? So wasn't Bush's visit to the base last year?

Quote: