Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-23-2003, 01:41 AM   #21
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

hehe I have my B.A. in History and was getting my M.A. up until last year when I realized I was sick of school
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 02:32 AM   #22
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

what do history majors do after college?

what do you need to do to graduate, thesis paper?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 07:41 AM   #23
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT

"Would you like fries with that, ma'am?"

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:33 AM   #24
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Historians are coming out of the woodwork!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
hehe I have my B.A. in History and was getting my M.A. up until last year when I realized I was sick of school
Umm... Are you me? Last fall I finished the last of my M.A. courses and was getting ready to focus solely on my thesis when I realized I was absolutely burned out. And I thought it couldn't happen to me
Quote:

In theory, lots of things. I also have a degree in geography, so I was going to go into area studies (Russia/Eastern Europe probably), but now my wife and I live with and take care of four developmentally disabled men, and there's nothing else I would rather be doing. A little out of my expertise, but it's great. "Would you like fries..." isn't too far off base; I spent seven months looking for a job after I left school.

As for the other question, it really depends on the school. For me, I had a senior paper that I had to present to the faculty. I would have done (may still do) a thesis for my M.A., which would entail submitting it to a faculty committee and then going through an oral defense.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot

Last edited by zinnite : 11-23-2003 at 10:35 AM.
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 11:46 AM   #25
gdl96
the greg the admin

I didn't realize how many history majors there are here. This is exciting for me because I intend to be a history major when I go to college next year.

I saw some of the many specials on History Channel this week. There must be some conspiracy, but I think we already agreed on that much
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 12:22 PM   #26
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:

To get your B.A. from TWU (my school), you don't need to do a thesis paper unless you're in the honours program.

ha, and GrayMouser is right. Unless you're planning on teaching history (which is a possibility for me), there isn't a whole lot you can do in relation to your field. Work for the History Channel, I guess. ;-) or some company like Levi Strauss. did you know they employ a full-time, in house historian?

Alright, sorry, I'll stop with the OT stuff.

Yes, I definately agree that there's some kind of conspiracy.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:38 PM   #27
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Well a lot of companies look for people who not only have B.A. degrees, but they really like those with History degrees for the shear fact that not only did they learn history, but it went deeper into the realm of research and analysis as well...At least here in the states History majors are widely held in both the public and private sector and in a lot of cases tend to get higher positions in companies...

Here is an obscure fact A large portion of lawyers and CEO's have a history degree
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-23-2003, 09:29 PM   #28
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
The "second shot" shows JFK's head going backwards. It defies physics and logic for a head to go backwards when being shot from behind
Spoken like a true historian! The whole point of a high-powered, relatively low calibre rifle is that minimal kinetic energy is imparted to the target - it does damage by drilling a hole through someone. The involuntary muscular response to being shot could very easily outweigh that from the transfer of kinetic energy.

As to the cine film evidence, the sheer size of the wound to the front of JFK's head is sickeningly evident - for that to have been an entry wound he would have pretty much had to have been hit with a cannon shell - which I think someone would have noticed being fired. Also, the seating arrangements of JFK relative to the governer (and the weapon used) make the single bullet theory very plausible.

Seems to me this conspiracy theory is "needed" by a lot of people - maybe to avoid the fact that while inadequate little nutters exist the world over, in most countries they wouldn't have been able to buy a sniper's rifle by mail order.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:50 AM   #29
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Draken
Spoken like a true historian! The whole point of a high-powered, relatively low calibre rifle is that minimal kinetic energy is imparted to the target - it does damage by drilling a hole through someone. The involuntary muscular response to being shot could very easily outweigh that from the transfer of kinetic energy.

As to the cine film evidence, the sheer size of the wound to the front of JFK's head is sickeningly evident - for that to have been an entry wound he would have pretty much had to have been hit with a cannon shell - which I think someone would have noticed being fired. Also, the seating arrangements of JFK relative to the governer (and the weapon used) make the single bullet theory very plausible.

Seems to me this conspiracy theory is "needed" by a lot of people - maybe to avoid the fact that while inadequate little nutters exist the world over, in most countries they wouldn't have been able to buy a sniper's rifle by mail order.
Well if you are calling the wound on his right front temple an exit wound then that would also defy the law of physics for this simple reason. From the book depository, it was on the 6th floor where the shooting supposedly took place, thus aiming and shooting downwards. If he were shot in the back of the head, which it would have to be considering the front portion of his head could not be seen from that angle in the book depository building, then the exit wound would have to come out the bottom part of his head, not through the top of his right front temple. Due to the downward angle the bullet would not hit on a downward path and then suddenly go on an even path to enter the top part of his temple. So that is impossible, unless we are talking about a "magic bullet", which the warren commission did

There are only two plausible angles that the bullet could have come from for a wound to have been made on his right front temple, those would be; 1) The grassy knoll area and it's surrounding areas within a certain distance, and 2) on the opposite diagnol from there so from the back left side of the limo, which it is pretty certain no shots came from over there, except for an important picture that was taken, which shows multiple people over at the grassy knoll, but that's a whole other story

Here is the other thing, 16 doctors at the autopsy said he had a big hole in the back of his head, which would mean an exit wound...

Now, that is spoken like a true History major...

P.S. If you watch people who have been shot by similar type rifles, the movement is more times than not in the direction of the bullet path. I will keep it open to thought as nothing is impossible, but I too know some about guns and I've seen outcomes of rifle wounds on video, the point is, you are still hit by a high velocity, you're body isn't going to just decide to go the opposite direction immediately, regardless of muscle tension...

--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 11-24-2003 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:02 AM   #30
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Save us from the Grassy Knoll of Doom!

I don't remember what I was doing on November 22, 1963 (I wasn't born), but I DO remember what I was doing on November 22, 1990: dancing a wee jig outside a newsagent's because Thatcher had just resigned.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #31
Ruinel
Banned

Ah, conspiracy theories. Gotta love 'em.

I wasn't born yet either. So, I would have to say that since I didn't exist yet, that I have no comment on what I was doing.

Anyway, I don't think we'll ever get the truth out about all that, and even if we did, I don't think we'd believe any of it. We're all so full of suspicion.

I don't think that JFK would have been so revered in history had he stayed alive and in office. Americans tend to tie our presidents to the spit and slow roast them over the firey pit of hell. I think we would have found his flaws and picked him apart like nobody's business. Funny how we elect 'em and then burn them as witches later.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #32
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
haha the history channel is great for those conspiracy theories and aliens created the pyramids, atlantis exists, etc.
That's ridiculous. The History Channel does NOT have that stuff on. The Science Channel does though. I have NEVER seen one show on the History Channel that talked about aliens building the pyramids. As for Atlantis - that is part of history - because it is believed it was an actual island. It's similar to the search for Troy. But the History Channel does not show way out there conspiracy theory documentaries.

As for JFK - I don't even think he was that great of a president. I think he had a lot of charisma. I can't wait until I don't have to hear anything about "America's royal family". I did not care when John "John" died and although I think it is important to remember the death of Kennedy - Lincoln was a much more importan president. Kennedy had looks - but he made the US government a family affair.

Dunedain - concerning documents being released. It is true witht he freedom of information act and so forth - that information is released - but documents always seem to have a lot of black magic marker through everything of value. Look at the Roswell documents and tons of other documents the US goverment has released to the public.

By the way - I always watch the History Channel and the History International Channel I watch a lot too. I watch more of the History International Channel now.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-24-2003 at 07:02 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:05 PM   #33
Ruinel
Banned

Didn't his son die when his private plane that he was flying crashed someplace? (sorry I didn't pay that much attention ) the media made this big to-do about it. I just didn't see the point, I'm not affected by that at all. People I don't know die all the time, all over the world. How is that different?
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:12 PM   #34
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Didn't his son die when his private plane that he was flying crashed someplace? (sorry I didn't pay that much attention ) the media made this big to-do about it. I just didn't see the point, I'm not affected by that at all. People I don't know die all the time, all over the world. How is that different?
Yes and the tax payers picked up the tab for a HUGE search for his body - even though all he was was a magazine publisher. His plane left Teterboro airport in NJ and was on it's way to Massachusetts when it crashed into the Atlantic. The money expended would never have been made for any other citizen, but his uncle Teddy pulled strings - along with the other family connections.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-24-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #35
HOBBIT

Quote:
I have NEVER seen one show on the History Channel that talked about aliens building the pyramids.
I have.

You aren't watching it all the time, you can't say they never have, because I defitely have seen those shows all the time. In fact, my mom has come into the room a couple times and seen the program and that it was the history channel and got all annoyed.

They are a station and need their ratings and fanbase too! I'm not knocking the history channel, just they DO have stuff like that.

Its NOT only on the "history's mysteries" show, there are others.

I haven't really watched the history channel in several weeks (but i usually watch it a lot, and i did over the summer) - so maybe RECENTLY there hasn't been that much.

I'm not saying that their other stuff isn't good - it is. MY statement holds - what they have there varies in credibility. You cant just believe everything they say, take some things with a grain of salt

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 11-24-2003, 11:42 PM   #36
gdl96
the greg the admin

Tristan, you're probably thinking about the Discovery Channel. I've definately seen them play plenty of those alien kind of documentaries.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 11:45 PM   #37
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Tristan, you're probably thinking about the Discovery Channel. I've definately seen them play plenty of those alien kind of documentaries.
Yeah - I was going to post that earlier and forgot. I had thought he might mean the Discovery Channel too. I have seen a lot of stuff like that on the Discovery Channel (not the Science Channel). I have never seen anything he mentioned on the History Channel though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-25-2003, 12:03 AM   #38
HOBBIT

Discovery channel too! They usually have stuff on lost cities and atlantis...

and ancient civilizationst talking to aliens and aliens built pyramids and all this other stuff.

and the pyramids and sphynx and other ancient temples match up with sky charts or something.

Its all those channels.

Maybe discovery more than history.

I DISTINCTLY remember it being history a couple times though.

Old 11-25-2003, 12:10 AM   #39
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I've seen some programs like what Hobbit is talking about on the History Channel, but they are more like the "histories mysteries" shows and sometimes as other shows, but they never say "the pyramids were built by aliens" for a fact, they just convey different viewpoints and evidence and stuff...

As far as Atlantis, the most widely held and accepted theory of where it could have been is the Island of Thera and the inner sea of it, as they have collected so many artifacts from within that sea and up onto the bank where volcanic activity was widely known. They have also uncovered an ancient city underneath it all

--Linaewen
Old 11-25-2003, 12:18 AM   #40
BeardofPants
the Shrike

http://www.historychannel.com/global...ngs_search.jsp
http://www.historychannel.com/global...ngs_search.jsp

Now stop yer squabbling.