Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #21
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
What is this urge to have your own one rings? if you could explain it that would be great. speaking of which , I spend no money on LotR at all. i have all the paperback editions of the boks the library doesnt have, and i dont even have a copy of RotK.
Because we either get really bored (as in my case) and/or just want to own something that reminds us of LotR. Unlike some other obsessions, there isn't really that much merchandise (except movie related) that goes along with it. You can show everyone your tattered book, but it isn't as much fun as a ring of power. On another note, I don't spend that much money myself. FotR was a gift, and I bought TTT and RotK myself. That's all. I read everything else I have read at the library. (oh wait, except the Hobbit which my mom bought me)
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 04:25 PM   #22
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

this actually happened today!!

there's this guy in my spanish class and i guess he had a 'One Ring' and he was wearing it on a chain around his neck, and these girls in my class were all asking stuff like "so are you the ringbearer now?" and whatnot all sarcastically... and my friend went and asked him if it turned him invisible if he put it on and if it felt like it was getting heavier all the time... it was really funny at the time, around 8 in the morning. i thought it was weird how i had just responded to this thread semi-answering why people have some obsession with having the one ring, and then that happened.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 AM   #23
Millane
The Dude

i dont buy lots of Lord stuff, i have a crappy paperback LotR and Hobbit which i read and i have my nice books, Attalus if your still around was your HMCo LotR a red one with a tree embossed on it??? im about to order that one it looks awesome, and i already bought the same Hobbit for $90... my friend bought Anduril last week...
Old 01-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #24
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Quote:
You folks do recall that it symbolizes pure evil don't you????
Yeah, but it also symbolizes the BEST book and the best movie in the world. I have one, but I NEVER put it on my finger, and occasionally feel like destroying it.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:13 PM   #25
Anadriewen
Enting

I just thought of another funny thing that happened to me. I was going with my friend and her fam to get some KFC. I said i claimed the cup (it has lotr pics on it). Her bro who is not even in grade 4 (i think 2 or 3) also wanted it. My friend said i should get it cuz i was obesesed with lotr. Her bro argued that he was more (he had seen it a few times and really liked it) Then we started asking each other questions about lotr. I got each one right. He only got a few right. It turned out that there were lotr pics on the bucket and the cup. I got the bucket and he got the cup. Later on he said something like "You know everything about lotr" I told him not everything. he asked what. I told who theodens mom was. He said he thought he knew. He was thinking of eowyn. I was definatly more obsesed than him.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #26
katya
Elven Maiden

Oh wow. But Theoden's so old...I'm assuming he just saw the movies. He looks really really old at first. Reminds me of hte pope (no offense to anyone!)... Yeah, you're definately more obsessed.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:53 PM   #27
Anadriewen
Enting

Yah, He had only seen the movies (borrowed from me).
Old 02-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #28
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I've got 'The One Ring' on a chain around my neck. It used to be gold, but it's a bronze/red colour.
One day I was walking to get some lunch. Well I was half-way between our common room and the school when I felt something sharp drop onto the back of my hand. It was my minuture sword that I have around my neck. A few weeks before hand I had to put it on the same chain as my ring, cos the leather band it was previously one broke. Anyway I realised that the chain had come undone somehow. The ring had rolled under a nearby tree. I finally retrieved it, but was suprised to see that the chain wasn't damaged in anyway. None of the rings had broken in the chain, and the clasp at the back was secure as ever.
It still puzzles me how it came undone.....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #29
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

SO im not a friend anymore at all Lal, i wasnt asking for that. Thats just mean

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:53 PM   #30
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Well I just assumed that if you were asking why you were on the list, that you didn't want to be on. I'll change it back if you want!
But PM me in future rather than trying to discuss it in any thread!!!
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 01:01 AM   #31
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

ahem. i'd just like to express my joy that i found my copy of sil today! i've been searching for it for the past four or five days, and it was in my hamper... wierd, huh?

also, in keeping with the thread (unlike a couple of the preceeding msgs in this thread *cough*), i have two "one rings", which is kind of ironic really. my boyfriend gave them both to me, one he bought from our teacher who sold them on ebay, the other came with my LOTR trivial pursuit game (which he bought me for xmas). i don't wear either of them, although becuase i'm such a nerd i keep one on a gold chain in my dice bag.

has anyone else bought the LOTR trivial pursuit movie trilogy version? it's way too easy and there aren't enough questions. and it kind of bugs me that its for the movie trilogy, and not the books... they could at least have had one category for the books! (although i am happy that one of the figurines is Galadriel! woot!)
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote