Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-11-2003, 11:47 AM   #21
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

I was born in a little town in Alabama. Boring. I travelled all over America as a kid but (much to my great dismay), besides Mexico, I've never been out of the country. *sigh* I hope to go to Greece with my godmother next summer. Hope hope hope! And I also plan to visit russia and the ukraine in a few years.

And who here doesn't want to visit New Zealand?
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #22
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally posted by jellyfishannah
I was born in a little town in Alabama. Boring.
To me, Alabama qualifies as exotic

I was born in England and not even an interesting part of England . I've never been outside Europe (yet) but I've been to France, Italy, Germany, Austria, etc. which are so different from Britain that they seem "exotic" as well.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:09 PM   #23
Bridgette
Enting

Born and raised (well I guess I'm not really raised yet... ok, raised as much as I have been) in a tiny town near Toronto, Ontario. Been to Florda, Maryland, South & North Carolina (and maybe some other states along the way that I just can't remember), Quebec, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick. I hope to travel more when I'm older, though.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:16 PM   #24
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I'm born and raised (mostly) in Oslo, Norway. Not the most interesting or exotic city, but could have been worse (could have been born in Bergen ).

Haven't been outside Europe either (though most of my family have), but been to Germany (twice), Polan, Italy, France, Hellas (can't remember the english name right now), Sweden (a few times), Denmark (several times) and Austria. These are the ones I can remember, at least...

Always wanted to travel around the world, but I have never really gotten the time or money. When I get older, however...

Last edited by Falagar : 11-11-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:09 PM   #25
Beor
founder of the color blue

I was born and raised in Minnesota, and I've lived in New York, Germany (my son was born in Landstul), and I've lived the last six months in Baghdad.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:42 PM   #26
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Beor,

You active duty personnel? Then my Veterans' Day appreciation extends to you as well! May God bless and keep you and your family. Keep your head low, stay safe and come back in one piece, ok?
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:31 PM   #27
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Through the years I've been to all countries in the western part of Europe, and some of the eastern countries, and to Israel, Egypt and Morocco.
You were in Israel! For how long? What did you see? Tell me everything!

Born and raised in Israel. I moved one time fro a city to a town nearby. I was in England, Netherlands, Belgium (I was in Belgium for few hours only) and Italy. Not really 'exotic', but fun.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:33 PM   #28
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
yes there is. its not to nice either.
kinda a mix of new yorkian and a regular hillbilly accent.
glad i dont have it.
must not extend to the northern portion of the state which sounds as normal and bland as any other. Must mean downstaters. Now where is little Elvelyn when you need to tease her...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:17 PM   #29
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
You were in Israel! For how long? What did you see? Tell me everything!
Everything? Nooo. But a little.
I was in Israel about 15 years ago. My boyfriend and I was on holiday in Cyprus around Easter time, and we were bored, so we jumped on this 3-days guided tour to Israel. It was interesting. We travelled by boat to Haifa and spent some time on a market there, and to Betlehem, and also visited a place where they were manufacturing diamonds. But the main visit was to Jerusalem. In spite of all the tourists it was a special experience, being in that historic city. I remember feeling tense because of the soldiers that seemed to be everywhere. And I was surprised to hear that all boys and girls served as much as three years in the armed forces.

I also remember when my bf and I were straying along alone in Haifa, people there took us for locals. They spoke to us, and were surprised when we didn't understand what they were saying.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:04 PM   #30
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Everything? Nooo. But a little.
I was in Israel about 15 years ago. My boyfriend and I was on holiday in Cyprus around Easter time, and we were bored, so we jumped on this 3-days guided tour to Israel. It was interesting. We travelled by boat to Haifa and spent some time on a market there, and to Betlehem, and also visited a place where they were manufacturing diamonds.
Nice. You did a lot for three days; I was only one time in Haifa all my life, about 2 times in Jerusalem, and never in Betlehem - it's dangerous there for Israelis.
I think this city could be one of two - or Ramat Gan, with the diamonds' stock exchange, or Natania, which is called city of diamonds fro some reason.
WAs it fun?
Quote:
But the main visit was to Jerusalem. In spite of all the tourists it was a special experience, being in that historic city. I remember feeling tense because of the soldiers that seemed to be everywhere. And I was surprised to hear that all boys and girls served as much as three years in the armed forces.
In the ancient city, I would guess tere are many soldiers - especially now - because it's the arab city, and some trrorists come from there.
Actually - only boys serve three years. Girls serve 2 years, and most of them do less. (I'll be in the army too more 4 years) It's necessary to have all guys and girls in the army, to be protected from the enemy. (right now it's Syria and Palestinians)
Religious don't serve in the army, and arabs don't.

Would you consider Israel as exotic country?

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 11-11-2003 at 05:05 PM.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:54 AM   #31
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
WAs it fun?
The most fun part was in Haifa, on the market and when we went on alone in the city.
Quote:
Would you consider Israel as exotic country?
Depends on what you mean by exotic. It was definately different from Norway, but still not very different, at least not in the cities. But then I don't think we got the right feeling of the country, it was only 3 days and we were following a guide most of the time. I would like to come back some day and spend some more time in Jerusalem. But not right now, as things are as they are.

Thanks for the info on the army.

Last edited by Artanis : 11-12-2003 at 03:56 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:12 PM   #32
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
I was born in a little town in Alabama.
I understand that. My theme song should be "Small Town" by John Mellencamp. I was born and raised in a small South Alabama town of about 500 people and now spend my weeks about 60 miles away at Troy State University. I manage to make it home most weekends. Sounds really exotic, doesn't it? (Ok, maybe just to sun-star, since it's Alabama)

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 02:43 PM   #33
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
I understand that. My theme song should be "Small Town" by John Mellencamp. I was born and raised in a small South Alabama town of about 500 people and now spend my weeks about 60 miles away at Troy State University. I manage to make it home most weekends. Sounds really exotic, doesn't it? (Ok, maybe just to sun-star, since it's Alabama)
What about "Sweet Home Alabama"? That'd be a good theme song too
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #34
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

That would also work, except "Small Town" is a bit more specific to my situation. The folks in Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, etc., can't identify with that song like I can. "Sweet Home Alabama" applies to everyone.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:10 PM   #35
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Yep, except my family moved right after I was born. And again after that. And again after that! Really crazy. I live in a tiny town in tn, now. As redneck as you can get. The schools are awful...I won't be there too long, though, hopefully. *says quick prayer*

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:55 PM   #36
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
That would also work, except "Small Town" is a bit more specific to my situation. The folks in Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, etc., can't identify with that song like I can. "Sweet Home Alabama" applies to everyone.
The thing is Khamul the song is actually about one of the places I lived - Seymour Indiana. I think John Mellencamp is the only thing that came out of Seymour. Although I have friends in Seymour - it's pretty redneck - of course not as small as your town.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:47 AM   #37
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I didn't realize that John Mellencamp was from Seymour. That's cool. I guess you learn something new every day.

Old 11-13-2003, 06:28 PM   #38
Aden
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I was born in a little town in Alabama. Boring. I travelled all over America as a kid but (much to my great dismay), besides Mexico, I've never been out of the country. *sigh* I hope to go to Greece with my godmother next summer. Hope hope hope! And I also plan to visit russia and the ukraine in a few years.

And who here doesn't want to visit New Zealand?
Well, you should come to Greece, it is ideal for summer vacations.
I suggest Santorini ( in Greece it's the best place to be ).
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:24 PM   #39
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

This could take a while....

I was born in Edmonton, Alberta, but lived in Grande Prairie until I was six, when my parents moved to Vancouver, British Columbia. (thank God!)

I went to school in Vancouver, and continued to live there off and on until I was 32. I say off and on because I spent a lot of time working as a surveyor, first on the railroads and then in oil exploration- doing that, I worked pretty well all over Western and Northern Canada.

I also spent a lot of time travelling- make your money in the Frozen North, spend it in the Sunny South.

I turned 18 in June 1972 and left Canada on September 22nd of that year (the date was deliberately chosen ) , spent a few months in Europe and then headed South, spending the next two years working and travelling in eastern and southern Africa.

When I went back to Canada, I followed the same pattern of working bush, then travelling. My mother and sister live in England, so I used that as a base, but spent most time in the Mediterranean countries- Greece, Italy,Spain, Portugal and North Africa- Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco- anyplace warm and cheap.

I was also plugging away at my college degree, taking distance courses and doing the odd semester, and finally got my B.A. in 1986 ( only took 14 years). I went on an exchange program to China, teaching English and learning Chinese, and was there for about two years- Valandil, must have just missed you .

Wandered down through South-East Asia to Australia where I worked and travelled for seven months, then back up to India and Nepal (almost a year) before ending up in Taiwan, planning to spend six months studying Chinese and making some money teaching English.

That was thirteen years ago....

I now live in a small town on the East Coast of Taiwan, where it's still what the Portuguese explorers called it - "Ilha Formosa", the
Beautiful Isle. With a wife and three kids, I don't get around much anymore- back to Canada for a visit every four or five years, short trips to Thailand or Malaysia every couple of years in the school holiday- not the same as throwing the backpack on and letting the Road sweep you away.

Still, tomorrow's Saturday and we'll be barbecuing at the beach under the palm trees, so I guess I can live with that.

" The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening rest and sleep to meet."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 11-14-2003 at 12:30 PM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #40
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

WOW! Fascinating...

We'll have to talk more... love to meet you some day! One dream of mine is to go to China summer of 2008 - but probably just before Olympics (I expect a zoo during), bring my family along for a kind of 20th anniversay thing. Is your wife a native Formosan?

How's Fafrad? (is that the right name?)
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote