I completely agree with azalea.

Good lord, that's TWICE in one week!!!!
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #22
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
IMO, "Grace" does not equal "immortality." When she says, "What grace I have, let it pass into him," I didn't take it as meaning "Please take my immortality and exchange it for allowing Frodo to live." I don't think that's even possible. (not that that has stopped PJ in other cases, I know. :P )
What it meant (if I'm correct) was that she was asking that what natural "elf power" she possesses might sustain him until she is able to reach her father. This was probably another way of conveying to the audience that elves are different, that they naturally possess healing powers (or healing knowledge) that men and hobbits do not (or at least SHE does, perhaps by virtue of being Elrond's daughter, who knows).
I hope you are right, but Elrond refers to her "grace" again in the trailer and I fear the worst.

BTW, I don't think PJ sux, I would just like to have a wager with BB that if I'm right he would have to post those two words. hahaha! I like PJ, actually, and time is moving too slowly till the extended DVD of TTT and the release of RotK.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:50 PM   #23
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
frodo!dead! noooooooooooo

if he kills frodo i will cry help me get me a tissue
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:45 PM   #24
Cassius
Enting

Gimli Frodo die indeed...pah!

The quest will claim his life, but not by killing him. Note than in ROTK, Frodo is in constant agony due to the longlasting effects of the ring. It will be destroyed for sure, but it even left a scar on Bilbo who didn't have it during such a traumatic time. He even forgot about the whole quest and asked Frodo if he still had it when they returned to Rivendell. It won't claim his life physically, but psychologically.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:47 PM   #25
GenX
Sapling

Nazgul

frodo will not die phycologically. Galadrial just made a mistake in her forseeing. Like Gandalf taken back with fear when the Mouth of Sauron showed him the mithril cloak, The ring bearers can't just predict the future with perfect percision. for a time Galadrial did think that it would claim his life. but she was wrong wasn't she. That is the dumbest thing I have heard cassius. Though a good arguement Galadrial didn't mean that in the least.
GenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:51 AM   #26
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by GenX
"for a time Galadrial did think that it would claim his life. but she was wrong wasn't she. "
But, as observed in some posts above, in a way the ring did take his life. That is, he lost the life he would have enjoyed as a hobbit in the shire and had to leave Middle-earth for good to be healed just two years later.

Are you in pain, Frodo?" said Gandalf quietly as he rode by Frodo's side.
"Well, yes I am," said Frodo. "It is my shoulder. The wound aches, and the memory of darkness is heavy on me. It was a year ago today."
"Alas! There are some wounds that cannot be wholly cured," said Gandalf.
"I fear it may be so with mine," said Frodo. "There is no real going back. Though I may come to the Shire, it will not seem the same; for I shall not be the same. I am wounded with knife, sting, and tooth, and a long burden. Where shall I find rest?"

And remember Obi-won-Kenobe's "explanation" to LS about Luke's father having "died".

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-04-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:28 AM   #27
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by GenX
frodo will not die phycologically. Galadrial just made a mistake in her forseeing.
I think you aren't understanding the point GenX. Galadriel was not wrong, but correct. The quest does utterly claim his life, the quest caused him much pain from his wounds, even years after he could feel it. He could find no rest, he had to leave his home, his life, his friends, and sail away. I would consider that the quest did claim his life. What life does he have left?
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:43 AM   #28
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

True, he went with bilbo and co. to the grey havens. A sort of heaven. They had no more purpose in middle earth to fulfill, so they left the middle earth. They died in a sense. So the quest did claim frodo's life.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:43 PM   #29
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm not sure if the quest did claim his life. It was my understanding that Frodo went over the sea, and that sixty-one years later Sam joins him. I don't think there's any evidence in the LOTR which mentions this, but in the HoME #9, Sauron Defeated, Sam clearly expects to meet with Frodo again. Of course this is not canon, but I always have hoped they would meet again. So Frodo would live till he was at least 101 -- and he would be healed, for that was why he went over the sea. Perhaps he had a wonderful life with the elves. Just my speculation of course.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:15 PM   #30
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Im a different sense of 'life'. He can no longer have the life he expected in the shire, and every joy he has is mingled with pain and longing.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 11:41 PM   #31
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I never imagined the grey havens to be a material place. I'm pretty sure it is a heaven type place. It is called the "Grey Havens" you know
When frodo left on the ship, he died.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:51 PM   #32
azalea
Long lost mooter

But don't forget about Valinor and the lands beyond the circles of the world! He was not truly DEAD, but like the elves had gone to live forever outside of ME -- I suppose you could see it as a "death," if you mean by death "departing from the world of mortals," but he still dwelt in his physical body, until his eventual true death -- "departure of soul from body," that was inevitable as he was a mortal.
The Grey Havens was a physical place IN ME, a port of departure for the elves going over the sea.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 03:25 PM   #33
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I'm not sure if the quest did claim his life. It was my understanding that Frodo went over the sea, and that sixty-one years later Sam joins him. I don't think there's any evidence in the LOTR which mentions this, but in the HoME #9, Sauron Defeated, Sam clearly expects to meet with Frodo again. Of course this is not canon, but I always have hoped they would meet again. So Frodo would live till he was at least 101 -- and he would be healed, for that was why he went over the sea. Perhaps he had a wonderful life with the elves. Just my speculation of course.
The Appendices suggest that Sam indeed departed over Sea, and Frodo suggested that Sam's turn would come in "The Grey Havens"

In Letters, JRRT suggests that the lifespans of mortals would be shortened in Valinor. I'm not aware of any definitive answer of when Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam died, however.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #34
Cassius
Enting

Gimli

How come no dwarves get to go to the undying lands? Its not fair, the bearded short people always get the short end of the stick. However they make the short end look cooler than the long one.

-Don't understand, Just comprehend.
(Cassius)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 10:25 PM   #35
azalea
Long lost mooter

Gimli got to go.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:10 PM   #36
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassius
How come no dwarves get to go to the undying lands? Its not fair, the bearded short people always get the short end of the stick. However they make the short end look cooler than the long one.
Gimli and Legolas go together. They do not go with the Last Riding of the Keepers of the Rings, but after the death of Elessar.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:24 PM   #37
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

bacchus, do you have that letter handy? i'd like to see it.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:45 PM   #38
Telcontar
Enting

Strider frodo dying?

If PJ kills off Frodo, it would only be for movie drama. Of course, I think true book fans would probably start booing. I say that because of all the changes that were made from the book, that would be the ultimate "crime". That's not to say what's been changed in the movies were bad, I just think by killing Frodo it would be such a letdown. I think it would have the same effect of Matrix Revolutions. You all know what I'm talking about. I am just praying that doesn't happen to this movie because I have such high hopes for it.

Quote:
Go see ROTK 2, 3, 4 times! Take your Momma too! We gotta beat Revolutions' 5-day record, previously held by TTT.
Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 02:37 PM   #39
entss89
lord of the ents

Re: frodo dying?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamigar
In TTT galadriel says that the quest will claim frodos life. What do you think that means? Do you think that pj will kill off frodo?

yes yes lets just kill the main character why dont we??? sounds like a winning plan to me!

im a little hobbit short and stout
here is my ring evil without a doubt
when you get me hipped up
here me shout
get me to mordo as quick as you can..

if you like that song then you should visit www.lordoftherings.net!

the ents are coming
the ents are coming
watch out tower of orthanc
for your dark walls shall fall!
sauroman, sauroman
your name is not the white!
for now you are
sauroman of many colors!

a best frind does not stab u in the back...................
they stab u in the front.
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:23 AM   #40
justaregularguy
Sapling

All the theories as to what Galadrial meant by "it will claim Frodo's life" are interesting.

I have a different take on it, though. I took Galadriel literally: she was predicting Frodo literally must die as a result of his quest in the sense that even if he made it to Mt. Doom, because of ring's nature and effect he'd be unable to voluntarily part with it and so end up dead.

I.e., either -1- Frodo wouldn't even reach Mt. Doom, he'd be found and killed first; -2- Frodo would reach Mt. Doom but claim the ring instead of casting it into the fire, in which case Sauron would instantly learn he had it and come and take it from him; or -3- he'd have to jump into Mt. Doom holding or wearing it because by that time he'd be in such a state that he'd be unable to bear the separation.

In fact, -2- is what happened. But Gandalf the Wise, whether consciously or intuitively, KNEW it would. That's why he stressed from the beginning that Gollum should not be killed, that he still had some important part to play, and that even the very wise may not see all ends.

So I believe Galadriel was speaking literally, she just wasn't able to foresee Gollum's intervention there at the end (yet another example of even the very wise being unable to see all ends).

Don Juan - Tales of Power
justaregularguy is offline   Reply With Quote