Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-04-2003, 11:12 PM   #21
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
Can you specify?
Nah, don't feel like it. If you're that interested, google it.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 05:47 AM   #22
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hey, thanks for taking an interest you guys.

The Welsh had the beating of NZ up till the last 20 minutes. Their forwards were kicking their arses from one end of the pitch to the other. And the Welsh have probably the weakest pack of forwards in the last 8.

However, don't worry Sheeana, I reckon the French will give England a doing in the semis so you won't have to face their forwards. The Boks might pull a few heads of their shoulders though.

I'm praying Scotland can at last light some fire under their arses and get really stuck into Australia. I don't mind if they lose; I do mind if they continue to play like they're on the practice pitch.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:30 AM   #23
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

The Final Four look like they were supposed to, and I think the All-Blacks can pretty well handle the Wallabies.

England/France? England did not look impressive against the Welsh; the question is, is France for real or have they just been cruising through an easy form?

Then again, I would have picked Ireland as the likely upset in the last eight- lucky I didn't get around to posting my predictions

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:59 AM   #24
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I dunno... Australia has this habit of pipping us at the post in the last few minutes... Hmm. *buries head in sand until World Cup is over*
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:53 AM   #25
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Nah, if Australia beat New Zealand I'll eat my trousers. Dodgy refereeing and the usual quota of turnovers by Scotland made them (Australia) look less appalling than they actually were.

I reckon France will win it. They have no obvious weaknesses and have the best back row in the tournament. Magne and Betsen will make the boy wonder's life miserable next weekend; England have proved pretty fragile as soon as they're put under pressure.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:49 AM   #26
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Nah, if Australia beat New Zealand I'll eat my trousers. Dodgy refereeing and the usual quota of turnovers by Scotland made them (Australia) look less appalling than they actually were.

I reckon France will win it. They have no obvious weaknesses and have the best back row in the tournament. Magne and Betsen will make the boy wonder's life miserable next weekend; England have proved pretty fragile as soon as they're put under pressure.
Corduroy or denim?

France/England- horrible game, due to the "climactique"- too bad.

Next week?

"Swing low..."

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:22 AM   #27
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Australia put up a really good fight - it was one frustrating game. At one point the ball was the Wallabies possession 70% of the time. *sigh* Oh well, Go Wallabies!!
Old 11-17-2003, 04:55 AM   #28
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
Corduroy or denim?

France/England- horrible game, due to the "climactique"- too bad.

Next week?

"Swing low..."
* chew munch masticate burp gag retch *

Got any more ketchup?

Well, at least we've got ONE unpredictable result. Saturday's game was like watching Scotland: static runners, poor support play, turnovers and knock-ons galore, not to mention some bizarre refereeing. Still, you can't say the Wallabies didn't deserve it. Phil Waugh is the player of the tournament so far (Aus No. 7).

I'll try to support England on Saturday (Northern Hemisphere solidarity), though there is a suspicion that if they win it, they'll be harping on about it for decades to come, like the 1966 football world cup.

Are Mitchell and Thorn getting a roasting in NZ today, BoP?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:10 AM   #29
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I don't follow rugby, but I just have to say GO WALLABIES! Sorry New Zealand, we're just too good. I saw people on the news crying their eyes out. Must be like a religion over there.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Cass, it is the National Religion, didn't ya know? Apparently there are lots of dissatisfied kiwis trying to offload their finals tickets on Aussie ebay.

Quote:
Are Mitchell and Thorn getting a roasting in NZ today, BoP?
Do monkeys crap?
Old 11-17-2003, 06:00 PM   #31
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Ah bless. Still, with those ears maybe he can't hear anything.

I heard today on another chat room that Thorne is being called "The Briefcase", because he is carried by the rest of the team.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 11-17-2003 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #32
Sween
im quite stupid

See the kiwis went out.......whats a shame. We are gonna beat those pomm bashing ozzys into dust
Old 11-19-2003, 04:44 AM   #33
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It IS a shame. England v NZ or France v NZ would have been a much more entertaining final. And I wouldn't have lost all the money I bet on it

Still, here's one Scot who's shouting for England on Saturday. I hope they stick it up their jumper and grind out a good old fashioned snooze-fest. You'll be able to hear the Aussie press whining from over here.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:07 AM   #34
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
It IS a shame. England v NZ or France v NZ would have been a much more entertaining final. And I wouldn't have lost all the money I bet on it

Still, here's one Scot who's shouting for England on Saturday. I hope they stick it up their jumper and grind out a good old fashioned snooze-fest. You'll be able to hear the Aussie press whining from over here.
Good luck to the scots tonight would love to see the dutch nocked out
Old 11-19-2003, 11:36 AM   #35
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Cheers, mate! We'll need it. I suspect we used up about ten years' worth of luck on Saturday.

Nice to see it's actually on terrestrial TV! Wow! (got the cairry-oot in, and mates comin round so should be a good night even if we get humped).
Old 11-21-2003, 01:11 PM   #36
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Predictions for tomorrow

England by 15.

Bit of rain, ball up the jumper, collapsed maul, PHEEP, 3 pts for Jonny.

Rinse and repeat.

Still, they deserve it.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:46 PM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Hmm... I dunno.... Australia actually has a habit of getting tries instead of relying on penalty kicks.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:18 AM   #38
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

England won, 20-17, and became the first nation in the northern hemisphere ever to win the Rugby World Cup
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 11:23 AM   #39
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Hmm... I dunno.... Australia actually has a habit of getting tries instead of relying on penalty kicks.
Not that old chestnut! As a forward, I have at this point to trolley out the equally well-worn cliche "ye cannae win the gemm wi'oot the ba'!"

Still, all pretty academic. 1 try apiece, England looking the more likely side throughout. Well done to Australia at holding on so long, but the better team won (just!).

Nice pictures at the end: Neil Back holding his wee daughter throughout the medal ceremony was priceless. She was totally unfazed by it all, waved at all the cameras and kissed the trophy with her dad.

Then, just when I was starting to feel that I could get used to supporting England (the novelty of your team winning is heady stuff), the commentators ruin it all by going "Arise Sir Clive".

* gaffer pukes up his cornflakes *
Old 11-22-2003, 02:49 PM   #40
Sween
im quite stupid

World champions........has a nice ring to it