Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2003, 12:17 AM   #21
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I meant to include something about sliding scales since obviously while one can select a dividing line it is not a black and white but grey areas (no, not technicolor, just a bit subjective). LotR is still a big budget film but it does relie more heavily on content onviously displayed by the choice of source material, hardly pulp fiction or even (sorry IP) comic books. That doesn't preclude an inspired adaptation of less inspired material but the priciple is sound.

LotR is somewhat more film than The Matrix (although both employ strong thematic content, relatively more complex relationships, abstract concept, etc) yet both are quite saturated with special effects, a high percentage of action sequences, marginally developed character relationships (Legolas and Gimli are reduced to the sort of Lethal Weapon buddy movie interaction), physical humor, so I don't see them as being in a different category, just different quantitatively.

Gangs of New York could arguably (though pointlessly) be something near to being wedged between the two. I found the Star Wars prequel trilogy to be more toward the Spiderman/Gladiator end of the spectrum. Braveheart was (still just IMO) better in the areas of character development than any of the aforementioned, but this is likely due to a more focused approach on central characters.

This difference has no affect on Academy awards candidacy, so sorry for the way OT diatribe. I did want to point out that the academy is prone, on occasion, to be just a bit political and image conscious (just a bit ), so they tend to compensate for the past year's criticisms of being to elitist, too populist, racist, provincial, too pandering, favoritist, and some other big words.

Pictures that are first at something, and not neccesarily best, get special consideration.

Pictures by people who are overdue get special consideration. (Opie)

Pictures with heavy themes (The Piano) get special consideration.

Pictures with box office reciepts too huge too ignore get more attention than they may deserve (Titanic).

Besides, it's a school assembly for grownups, with awards for best penmanship. The only thing that should really matter to you is do YOU think it's the best picture. The award is mostly for promotional use only.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:01 PM   #22
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

sorry for the irellevency of this but...
my user cp will not show what threads i'm suscribed to anymore, it use to, but now...i dont know whats wrong..

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 05:07 PM   #23
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

As Cirdan said...

"Pictures that are first at something, and not neccesarily best, get special consideration.

Pictures by people who are overdue get special consideration. (Opie)

Pictures with heavy themes (The Piano) get special consideration.

Pictures with box office reciepts too huge too ignore get more attention than they may deserve (Titanic)."

Ahem... RotK should fit into all of those categories....

First time anyone attempted to make LOTR into a movie...

Didn't win best picture for FotR or TT...

Definitely has some heavy themes...

And it made TONS of $ in the box office...

So who should win????

ROTK!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 07:44 PM   #24
Cirdan

it (probably) will make a huge box office. Yes, I keep saying ought to win (even though I haven't seen it), but than doesn't mean it will. They (the academy) doesn't check in with me as often as it ought.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 09-30-2003 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:53 PM   #25
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

if rotk doesnt win....

would anyone join me in an angry mob (all lotr fans) to attack the academy until they make rotk best picture?

anyone at all???
Old 10-11-2003, 04:37 PM   #26
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Should get Best Picture and Best director (overdue for PJ and boxoffice gross for the three films will exceed $3 billion worldwide).

But does it have any realistic chance for supporting actor or actress (and if so, who)?

Miranda Otto? [seems doubtful]
Perhaps the best chance is Samwise (can't remember his name).
He's impressed me more then the other Hobbits so far, excluding Bilbo's cameos.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 06:55 PM   #27
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar1400
would anyone join me in an angry mob (all lotr fans) to attack the academy until they make rotk best picture?
I'll be content to throw popcorn at the screen, as I do every year.

Re: Best Supporting....

Viggo is technically a supporting character, but will get the bulk of the screen time for the final installment, so...

It's far too early too predict.

I say we reconvene after we've actually seen it.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #28
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuor of Gondolin
[
Perhaps the best chance is Samwise (can't remember his name).
It's Sean Astin.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 07:56 PM   #29
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Sean Astin!!!

Thanks, Elvengirl. (I guess short term memory goes first).

Actually I thought Sean Astin and Ian Holme seemed more like hobbits, while the others were more like actors playing hobbits (if that makes any sense).

Interesting point about VM. Would he be considered/have a better chance as a nominee for actor or supporting actor? And who makes that decision, the studio or the academy?

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:22 AM   #30
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Well - I didn't think that FotR or TT deserved even to be nominated for Best Picture - let alone when. The FotR was nominated there were a lot of good movies - Godford Park and A Beautiful Mind. I thought A Beautiful Mind deserved to win.

Based on Jackson's track record with the overall quality of the films - I still don't think he deserves to win. But I will reserve my perdiction until I ACTUALLY see the film.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:07 AM   #31
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

Making judgments on whether RotK will win before watching the film? For all we know (and all we pray not to happen), Jackson could have just lost his touch and utterly bombed up the last film. What I'd find ironic is if RotK turns out worse than FotR or TTT but wins an Oscar because of the inclination to give the trilogy its recognition.

For the record though, has any movie sequel won Best Picture before? (I think the Godfather did...?)

I think too that RotK will be shut out of the supporting actors nominations (even if they prove to be outstanding), or if one or two of the cast are nominated, they'd be lightweight contenders. The film just has too large and diverse a cast for each character to receive enough attention. These categories are usually dominated by films with a few central characters that drive the story. Which characters drive LotR? Frodo? Aragorn? Gandalf? Sam? Somebody else? You can't point to one definitively. LotR is more a team-driven vehicle to me, and from my impression, supporting actor/lead actor Oscars are usually won by a definitive character you can automatically associate to the film and whose absence would utterly change the film. The actors in the latter usually leave a deeper impression. Say the nod was up for grabs between an actor from Spiderman and an actor from X-Men. I'd say the Spiderman actor wins the supporting actor award hands down.

Are the Oscars really going to be held on Feb 28? That's my birthday! A RotK win for Best Picture would be the best birthday gift I could have In the meantime, I'll also be rooting for RotK to take home the MTV Movie Awards Best Picture, completing a 3-year sweep.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #32
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I hope RotK wins but it does have some competition. Mystic River, Lost in Translation, and Seabiscuit might make strong contenders.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:12 AM   #33
hectorberlioz

Quote:
Mystic River, Lost in Translation,
no way these two will even make noms.
Quote:
and Seabiscuit might make strong contenders.
THAT IStrue

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-02-2003, 03:04 PM   #34
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
no way these two will even make noms
I don't know...I wouldn't be surprised if Clint Eastwood gets nominated for Best Director

Last edited by FoolofaTook : 11-02-2003 at 03:07 PM.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:59 PM   #35
thranduil
Elven Warrior

1. If rotk is as true to the book as I have heard, Sean Astin will come out with best supporting actor.

2. Visual effects will be stunning and give matrix r&r a run for there money.

3. Best picture will be awarded to rotk.

4. all the rest of the awards, who cares.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 12:30 AM   #36
hectorberlioz

Well I cant say Clint Eastwood wont get nominated, maybe he will. But Mystic River is not the type the academy would choose.
Never the less-even though i am an oscar freak-I could be wrong...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-05-2003, 05:19 PM   #37
thranduil
Elven Warrior

I just saw matrix revolution. And I must admit it was a lot better than I thought. Tonz better than the second one. I wouldn't be suprised if it might snatch a few awards from ROTK.
thranduil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 PM   #38
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
yeah right matrix would never win a oscar
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:10 PM   #39
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

I just saw Matrix 3, let's put it this way, Keanu Reaves acting may be the highlight of the film. The "action" scenes are repetitive and seem to go on forever and there seem to be too many stereotypes of the characters for any awards relating to screenplay. It's special effects are interesting, but mostly only of one kind "evil machines."
I did like Matrix 1, but ROTK should do much better in Oscar contention then Matrix 3.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-05-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:27 PM   #40
hectorberlioz

If Matrix gets anything its a Special Effects nomination. But the Original and the second were equally well done in special effects, so I dont think M3 will get any.

The Da CINDY Code
~