Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2003, 03:44 AM   #21
Jedi X
Hobbit

This is something of the order of attempting to determine who is the better composer; Wagner or Verdi. However, since the proposition is on the table, I will venture to set forth an exegetical effort to examine the fundamental principles of the two works. Now, don't let my user name fool you as I am a huge fan of both works and, indeed, though they differ in style of form and overall depth of communicative relay one could almost consider them the same story yet, as it were, from a differing point of view.

With that said, I would surmise that the better of the two would surely have to be [This portion of the post has been deleted as the poster engages in an overly lengthy discourse replete with pseudo-intellectual presuppositions, faulty analogies, oversimplifications, ad-hoc reasonings and myriad other poorly constructed "proofs" to support his conclusion which is completely non-sequitar- ED.]

So, in the end, I think we could all agree, given the abundance of the adequately presented considerations [poorly thought-out tripe- ED.], that this is the only true answer to the idea of which of the two is the better work.

Comments? [Please do not encourage him- ED.]
Old 09-25-2003, 09:36 PM   #22
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

yeah so umm.... star wars isnt as good as LOTR cause is prequels are just a joke.

Padme: (wearing tight black dress that shes practically falling out of) Anikin, we cant have a relationship!! (GASPGASP)

AnAkin: (pouty, im about to throw a temper tantrum face) But... we can keep it a secret!!! (PRETTYPLEASEWITHACHERRYONTOP)
Old 10-01-2003, 07:18 AM   #23
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

I would have to disagree... Starwars is sooooo much cooler that lort... (well maybe a little atleast)

FOr one thing, StartWars has the sexy Luke Skywalker, while lotr has this midgit Frodo.

and SW has space travel, lotr has well boring earth travel

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #24
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by eowyngirl14
I would have to disagree... Starwars is sooooo much cooler that lort... (well maybe a little atleast)

FOr one thing, StartWars has the sexy Luke Skywalker, while lotr has this midgit Frodo.

and SW has space travel, lotr has well boring earth travel
How can anyone argue with this logic? eowyngirl has certainly convinced me!!! Hopefully, it's not too late for Peter Jackson to change his CGI for ROTK so the ringwraiths can attack Minas Tirith in cool-looking jet speeders.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 02:49 PM   #25
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

God, you're annoying.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #26
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

yes eowyngirl14.......... star wars IS much better than LORT. LORT doesnt even exist.... therefore star wars is better (but not by much) by the way.... what the hell is LORT?

luke skywalker IS NOT SEXY.
and boring earth travel is much better anyway.

and the people in star wars are really stupid. for instance, one of the storm troopers bangs his head on the door as he walks into the room. you dont see anyone doing that in lotr without doing it because its in the script.

lotr IS better cause hobbits and elves rock!!!
Old 10-02-2003, 12:00 AM   #27
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

This is such a pointless debate on so many levels, the only reason I'm leaving the threadopen is because I'm a nice guy.

What happened to intelligent comparative analysis? Are we, as consumers, truly reduced to such a level today that we can't talk about two works of (cinematic) literature without saying, "Hamlet could beat up MacBeth any day"?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:46 PM   #28
Jedi X
Hobbit

IronParrot, didn't you see my in-depth critical analysis of the two works above?

I'm surprised no one has commented on my superb use of neo-Homeric reductionism.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:48 PM   #29
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Actually, I think the thane could probably nuke the dane ... hehehe
Old 10-02-2003, 05:57 PM   #30
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
star wars is cool

tou cant really compare because starwars is totally differrent and you are right about jar jar
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:31 PM   #31
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

Jedi X, you obviously have spent so much time analyizing star wars and talking about it using lots of big words, but you cant make your point if no one knows what ur saying.

sorry, not trying to be mean.

and star wars still sucks.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:29 PM   #32
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Indeed! Circumlocution is the very epitome of obfuscation! I would suggest you deter from further grandeloquence and focus on the hermeneutic process at hand.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 10-02-2003 at 07:30 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:31 PM   #33
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Gimli do you like starwars

i love starwars and lotr if you like superheros i say go to my thread
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 10-02-2003, 07:39 PM   #34
b.banner
Elf Lord

Gollum to you eowyn girl because you love starwars

i love starwars and love luke he is awsome but obi-wan rocks more

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 10-02-2003, 08:53 PM   #35
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
IronParrot, didn't you see my in-depth critical analysis of the two works above?

I'm surprised no one has commented on my superb use of neo-Homeric reductionism.
Jedi X, that's because you're an exception to the rule, and furthermore, your post rules.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 12:35 PM   #36
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

this thread should not exist! i hate this place! its so depressing!
LotR is more mature than star wars. but i like star wars more.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:01 PM   #37
b.banner
Elf Lord

Nazgul lotr is not better

lotr is not better than the classic starwars .and obi-wan could beat gandalf anytime. plus aragorn has stupid love issues and obi-wan doesnt . i love lotr but not as much as starwars

HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 10-03-2003, 06:18 PM   #38
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

If the mere mention of the films can cause administrators to jump into action in the books forum, then I propose that from now on:

Mentioning the name STAR WARS in this forum -- or worse, yet comparing it to LOTR -- should be grounds to immediately eliminate the post, close the thread and shoot to death the poster!!!

Old 10-03-2003, 10:49 PM   #39
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

how about not? all the admins like star wars

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2003, 07:57 PM   #40
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

That explains alot.