Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #21
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
that sounds like youve pulled it out of a dictionary.
Eh, I have read my fair share of articles and researched some information about depression (no I'm not claiming to be a know-it-all but those things i had listed above were common). I have also looked into shyness and social anxiety disorder which I might have. I'm not sure which one I have because shyness and social phobia are very closely related but I think its just shyness. Anyway it is a fact that almost half of social phobics also suffer from depression or some other mental illness such as obsessive-compulsive disorder for example. The reason I am mentioning this is because most social phobics suffer from low self-esteem, poor self-image, and little self-worth which are the same symptoms that are found in some cases of depression.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:40 PM   #22
azalea
Long lost mooter

I used to want to kill myself when I was a teenager (My favorite fantasy about it was that I wanted to cut open the side of my mattress, take out some of the springs and hide them, then get inside and sew it up from the inside and then stay there, and no one would know where I was) -- I think many do, because it's such an awful time in life for most of us, despite what the media is constantly telling us (and the images we see of perfect teens with perfect lives -- or not so perfect teens who always find a way to deal with things that allow them to come out on top -- probably make it worse). But I was too curious about who I would be and what I'd be doing as an adult to go through with it (along with other more obvious reasons). And I'm I glad I didn't do it? Absolutely -- being an adult is hard in many ways, but life is definately worth living. You have the freedom to be who you want and to make your own choices (of course, that does come with responsibilities). Besides, I was never one to shy away from a challenge, and that's how I look at life a lot of times -- as a challenge that I can attempt to "win" by taking it day by day and acting in the best way I can to "succeed." It's worked so far!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #23
Ruinel
Banned

Re: Depression

Quote:
Originally posted by Valaróma
errrr... ... excuse me for pointing this out to all of you... but... isn't this the same stupid @$$ that claimed her sister was killed in a car accident? And then she posted a pic, from an accident that occured 8 yrs ago, of the actual accident where Blackboar supposedly died. Give me a break people!

There's more I could say, but I just won't.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 11:36 PM   #24
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Re: Re: Depression

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
errrr... ... excuse me for pointing this out to all of you... but... isn't this the same stupid @$$ that claimed her sister was killed in a car accident? And then she posted a pic, from an accident that occured 8 yrs ago, of the actual accident where Blackboar supposedly died. Give me a break people!

There's more I could say, but I just won't.
Oh... I had no idea... I don't check these boards enough to keep track of these types of things.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:48 AM   #25
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Re: Re: Depression

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
errrr... ... excuse me for pointing this out to all of you...
Some of us had noticed. Does that somehow invalidate this topic?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 12:27 PM   #26
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Don't let that distract you from the legitimate discussion here.

A word of advice to the depressed: self-mutilation is completely unnecessary, I assure you. I highly recommend the following:

- reading cheerful literature
- watching movies (particularly musicals)
- board games (you wouldn't believe how well this works)

Having never felt suicidal in my life I can't entirely sympathize, but it might also help to remember that you have so much more to look forward to. Two more Harry Potter books, another Star Wars movie, another LOTR movie - and that's just for starters...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:02 PM   #27
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Somehow, I don't think musicals would help me if I was depressed. Unless you consider The Blues Brothers a musical.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:49 PM   #28
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
...remember that you have so much more to look forward to. Two more Harry Potter books, another Star Wars movie, another LOTR movie - and that's just for starters...
LOL, I love this! I know, sometimes I think "oh, no, what if I die before seeing the final SW installment!" As if that is right up there with "I won't get to experience my kids' growing up," etc.!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 10:25 PM   #29
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

i think anyone who's been here a while,,, came here when I used to come here has guessed my answer... mebbe lol
I wrote an interesting paper on teen depression (+suicide and self mutilation) for my school. Interesting stuff. men are something like 4 times as likely to kill themselves as women... but women make more efforts...
Old 08-24-2003, 12:55 AM   #30
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Ahh depression. It's a hard topic. But I think everyone has their own individual ways of dealing with it. Mostly because everybody's idea of happiness is different. The only danger in happiness is if it's an object or a person responsible for your happiness and it goes away, then you are right back at sqaure one and probably worse off than to begin with.

It's hard to find happiness that stays, mostly because it has to come from inside, not outside. I hate to say this but it's true, NOTHING OUTSIDE OF YOURSELF IS GARUANTEED 100% PERMANENT. I guess for me it's not so much an issue about finding happiness but being able to accept things as the natural flow of life, realizing that there will be lows and doing all you can to prepare for them and riding the storm to its end.

Argh, I hate to ramble about such a personal topic but this is how it is for me. I'm not asking you to agree, but this is how I view depression and my apparent distrust of happiness.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 06:44 PM   #31
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Don't let that distract you from the legitimate discussion here.

A word of advice to the depressed: self-mutilation is completely unnecessary, I assure you. I highly recommend the following:

- reading cheerful literature
- board games (you wouldn't believe how well this works)

Having never felt suicidal in my life I can't entirely sympathize, but it might also help to remember that you have so much more to look forward to. Two more Harry Potter books, another Star Wars movie, another LOTR movie - and that's just for starters...
I think if I was depressed and I took your advice here, I'd probably just feel crazy. I'm not sure why, that's just how it would happen.

Anglorfin-
Really? I actually find it extremely easy to deal with losses and bad times and whatnot. I always ask myself "What are you gonna do?" in any situation. If there is no answer, if you can't do anything, then meh, no reason to fuss then is there? Problem solved.
Trust me, I do know what you mean and I know my method is a bit abnormal and in some cases it seems socially unacceptable. Like if Dad died or something, I'd still have memories of him and I know it would suck that he's dead, but honestly, I wouldn't care. I couldn't, so I wouldn't.

Either way I hope this helps people. "What are you gonna do?"

Last edited by Bombadillo : 08-24-2003 at 06:50 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:41 PM   #32
kiwi
Elven Warrior

thanx! it has helped slightly!
Old 09-10-2003, 02:19 PM   #33
dorfsquest
Sapling

it's a difficult discussion

I've been depressed quite often. Not THAT suicidal. Small things that people stopped me at, but I'd rather not get into talking about it.

I don't want to kill myself though. Too many things to like in my life. I just sometimes hate myself. I feel incompetent at whatever I put my hands to, even though people say it isn't true.
Now I like potato chips now don't get me wrong
But I havn't tasted momma's rhubarb pie in so very long

chorus

Rhubarb pie in the summer
Rhubarb pie made by my mother
Nothing better in the winter
Than Rhubarb pie after dinnner

Twinkies may be better
Than a hole in the sweater
And the hole in the sweater
beats a poke in the eye
If I had my choice I'd leave this
gas station store
And then I'd travel back in time and
I'd sit down and have some more
~Five Iron Frenzy "Rhubarb Pie"
--------------------

Mad shout out to my peeps at http://www.mfgg.cjb.net
and http://www.gamemaker.nl

Quote:
The Wizard needs food badly! The Volron can't be incomplete!
dorfsquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 04:50 PM   #34
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Sminty, isn't that because men are more likely to use more effective methods, such as guns, while women usually choose pills, which often simply make you really sick? I remember that from my psych class.

Cheerful literature and happy sappy movies make me more depressed when I'm in an extremely low, dark mood. Being around certain people helps if they aren't trying too hard to cheer me up. If they try to hard I just get angry for some reason.

A good thing I've found is turning up the radio extremely loud (I suggest Dashboard Confessional or Thursday) and screaming the lyrics.

I think that in the past decade or so depression has become 1) more acceptable to admit to and 2) glorified and glamorized. Pressure on teens HAS become extremely high, and I can't stand the whole "this person isn't perfect but managed to get exactly what he/she wanted anyway", because it's so unrealistic. I've never been diagnosed with depression, but I have had what I call "episodes", and I've gotten into some destructive behaviors because of self esteem problems and the like. I guess I'm very good at hiding it, because people that don't know me very well think I'm very confident when that's a complete lie.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:55 PM   #35
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I've been depressed before. I've had suicidal thoughts before. I've never actually done anything to myself, though. I can't willingly inflict that kind of pain on my body.

My depression wasn't about hating myself. It was life that I had the big issue with. I was pissed off with everyone else and hating everyone but me. I challenged and forsook all my beliefs and came out as a completely different person. I was quite self-destructive for about a year, though. I became an anarchist. Not exactly the best times of my life.

I think getting caught breaking the law was a good thing for me, because that's what woke me up. If that had not have happened, I would have continued down that path and something worse would have happened to me. I think if you're doing something bad, you should be introduced to the consequences of it in a way that will scare the crap out of you, and chances are you'll come around. That's what happened to me.

I'm well past my depressive state, and I honestly can't see myself going there again because I've faced most of the worst that life can throw at me already. And I'm only seventeen years old.

I hope you can figure out a way out of it. Life will get better somehow. It always does. Most people just don't give it the chance.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote