Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2003, 12:55 AM   #21
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I am so very happy that I don't live in California. We may have serious debt problems here in Alabama, but at least we don't have an action movie hero for our governor.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:49 AM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
I am so very happy that I don't live in California. We may have serious debt problems here in Alabama, but at least we don't have an action movie hero for our governor.
What does being an action movie hero have to do with his capabilities to govern? Does a doctor know any more about politcs than an action movie hero?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diaxion

But is this Re-Call truely apart of our American system. i doubt that many soldiers who have died for this country would have wanted to die for a Re-Call.
For your information the recall thing is part of CALIFORNIAN politcal law - not United States law. Therefore it has NOTHING to do with the United States - it has to do with a single state and what IT'S citizens detemrined was best for them.

Hasty Ent - your description of business is very distorted and one sided.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-08-2003 at 01:54 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:15 AM   #23
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
What does being an action movie hero have to do with his capabilities to govern? Does a doctor know any more about politcs than an action movie hero?
Well, nothing, obviously, but since it's clearly the reason he got elected, it's a very relevant comment to make. Are you trying to suggest that the good folks of California thought "I know that Arnie is an action hero, but I'm completely disregarding that fact and voting for him because of his sound fiscal policy."?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:45 AM   #24
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Hard to predict for sure, but my guess is that the aftermath of the recall process (including potential subsequent recall votes on Schwartzenegger and whoever comes after him) will get very messy - and that California will discard the procedure.

I'm not a fan of either Davis or Schwartzenegger - or Bustamante or Coleman, etc. I just think it could get to where whoever IS governor at a particular time - as well as his political opponents - may become so pre-occupied with the NEXT upcoming recall, that they can never really settle into governing.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:36 AM   #25
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Well, nothing, obviously, but since it's clearly the reason he got elected, it's a very relevant comment to make. Are you trying to suggest that the good folks of California thought "I know that Arnie is an action hero, but I'm completely disregarding that fact and voting for him because of his sound fiscal policy."?
Maybe they did look at the facts and what the others were offering - and felt Swarzenegger was the best choice. He is a business person who is VERY smart. People seem to have a very negative view of him because a) they don't agree with him being a Republican b) he's an action hero c) he has a heavy accent.

The funny thing about him being a Republican is that he's a moderate - he supports gay rights, he is for abortion, he supports gun control. It seems as if most people who are democrats on this board hear Republican and automatically have a negative opinion - without looking at what he supports.

As for a sound fiscal policy - look at Davis. He never mentioned the huge budget deficit until AFTER he was re-elected. Then he went and said - "oh - byu the way - we have this HUGE budget deficit I forgot to mention -- we have to raise taxes". That is what pissed people off.

My personal feeling about California - is that they give too much control over to the citizens - who do not have al the facts to make educated decisions. We vote in legislators and governors to represent us. California and the western states in general - have way too many referendums. In Washington state - they couldn't eve repair the schools (ceilings were sagging and falling) because the referendum was rejected by the voters.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-08-2003, 11:40 AM   #26
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

So you think he would've been elected anyway even if he wasn't a movie star?

Last edited by The Gaffer : 10-08-2003 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:53 AM   #27
jerseydevil

Quote:
So you think he would've been elected anyway even if he wasn't a movie star?
Yeah - why not? There have been A LOT of movie stars who have gone into politics and have done an excellent job.

The media generally concentrated on his movie star status - they didn't report (except here and there) on his youth programs, his education programs, or his many other things outside the of his movies.

It'll be interesting to watch French news tonight - because after the debates - they were saying how terrible Swarzengger did. They took the debates out of context and twisted them around. I saw the full debates and all the media here was also saying what a great job he did. I imagine a lot of Eiuropean news media tried to make Swarzenegger and Americans look like fools on their news programs. I know Le Journal did anyway.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-08-2003 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:08 PM   #28
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Hello. That was quick.
Quote:
Yeah - why not? There have been A LOT of movie stars who have gone into politics and have done an excellent job.
I agree there's no reason in principle why not. However, there have been a few presidential blocks of wood who should've been impeached...
Quote:
The media generally concentrated on his movie star status - they didn't report (except here and there) on his youth programs, his education programs, or his many other things outside the of his movies.[/B]
Well, I can't see it myself. Especially if as you say the media didn't report these lovely policies

See, the thing is, these are just ideas and he can't point to any proof that he means it or can deliver in real life. (Which may well be better than Davis, who seems to have a record of NOT delivering)
Quote:
It'll be interesting to watch French news tonight - because after the debates - they were saying how terribl Swarzengger did. They took the debates out of context and twisted them around - because I saw the full debates and all the media here was also saying what a great job he did. [/B]
Well, these are all scanners to look darkly through.

Good luck to him, though. At least it should mean we'll be spared his dire movie output for a few years.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 10-08-2003 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #29
jerseydevil

Quote:
I agree there's no reason in principle why not. However, there have been a few presidential blocks of wood who should've been impeached...
Why should they have been impeached? And can you name which ones?
Quote:

Well, I can't see it myself. Especially if as you say the media didn't report these lovely policies
it's hard to develop a sound policy - until you are in the office with all the facts. he has the drive, is a great business person and he hasmany chidrens orginizations.
Quote:

See, the thing is, these are just ideas and he can't point to any proof that he means it or can deliver in real life. (Which may well be better than Davis, who seems to have a record of NOT delivering)
By going with that feeling - then you might as well not vote for anyone. You can never tell if anyone means what they say on the campaing trail.
Quote:

Good luck to him, though. At least it should mean we'll be spared his dire movie output for a few years.
Well personally I don't think that Lord of the Rings was any better than Terminator 3. So I can't wait until we are relieved of the crap Jackson has titled the Lord of the Rings.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #30
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
It'll be interesting to watch French news tonight - because after the debates - they were saying how terrible Swarzengger did. They took the debates out of context and twisted them around. I saw the full debates and all the media here was also saying what a great job he did. I imagine a lot of Eiuropean news media tried to make Swarzenegger and Americans look like fools on their news programs. I know Le Journal did anyway.
Oh, puh-lease! Don't go judging European media on the French news. That'd be a huge generalisation! The methods of bringing news can vary immensly between nations.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:11 PM   #31
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Oh, puh-lease! Don't go judging European media on the French news. That'd be a huge generalisation! The methods of bringing news can vary immensly between nations.
I realize that. But I just happened to MENTION French news - I READ OTHER European news. So PUH-LEASE yourself.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-08-2003, 03:32 PM   #32
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Alright then, that's better. It's just that your post sounded like you only saw the French news.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:39 PM   #33
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

hahaha,and I have the joy of living in there!

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:15 PM   #34
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Before I say anything, I'll preface with the fact that I am a HUGE Arnie fan, so what follows has no bearing on his movie genius.

The man capitalized on his Action Star Status.

He did not participate in most of the debates.

He has not clearly stated his policies preceding the election.

He made corny Terminator jokes in response to debate questions.

Is this a man you want to be running the State?

I am extremely doubtful that most people voted him in on his political stance. It's more likely that it was his movie persona that won him the day. Having said that, I'll always love the Terminator, I just don't think he should be running the State. (Although, I think it's great that he's such a moderate - it's probably the only way the republicans *could* have won that seat.)
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 06:26 PM   #35
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
The man capitalized on his Action Star Status.
He didn't only capitalize onthat - he also capitalized on the many orginzations he runs too and his business expertise.
Quote:

He did not participate in most of the debates.
MOST of the candidates did not partake in the debates.
Quote:

He has not clearly stated his policies preceding the election.
He declared his policies as much as any of the other candidates - more in most cases.
Quote:

He made corny Terminator jokes in response to debate questions.
No worse than the many lame jokes the other lead politicians made.
Quote:

Is this a man you want to be running the State?
Well - it's who Californians chose and I think that people will be surprised by how well he does. If he doesn't then I seriously doubt California will be any worse shape then it is now.
Quote:

I am extremely doubtful that most people voted him in on his political stance. It's more likely that it was his movie persona that won him the day. Having said that, I'll always love the Terminator, I just don't think he should be running the State. (Although, I think it's great that he's such a moderate - it's probably the only way the republicans *could* have won that seat.)
I'm wondering how much news you got regarding his stance and stuff in New Zealand. Granted - he didn't say a lot on how he was going to go about fixing the problems - other than he was going to bring back the 2 million people California has lost in the last couple of years or the businesses that have been leaving California. But as I said - neither did anyone else lay out a plan - so why is everyone picking on him?

By the way - MOST Repulicans are moderate. Just as most democrats are moderate.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #36
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hey! Give Arnold a chance!
It's not the fact that he's an action hero that makes me root for him...heck, I hate movies, and have never watched an Arnold film from beginning to end. It's how he became a "star" that impresses me. An athelete..climbs the bodybuilding ranks through hard work and brute strength, a smart man who figures out how to capitalize on his atheletic fame...become a movie star, a mega star, and keep it going for decades! Here is a man who knows how to get things done...see things through, plus it's a republican married to a democrat...we have a chance for communucation here! Go Arnold...definately worth a go in my book!
Old 10-08-2003, 07:39 PM   #37
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
...plus it's a republican married to a democrat...we have a chance for communucation here!
Not just any democrat - but a member of the Kennedy clan at that. The most powerful democratic family in the country.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-08-2003, 07:45 PM   #38
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I know!! Isn't it exciting! Hey...I love this kind of stuff! Whoo hoo! Something besides politics as usual....you know, "I hate you, You hate me"
Old 10-08-2003, 07:54 PM   #39
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Does this mean no Terminator 4 (or at least not until his term i guess)?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 07:57 PM   #40
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Does this mean no Terminator 4 (or at least not until his term i guess)?
I'm not sure if a Terminator 4 would really require him. After seeing Terminator 3 - I like the series much better than I did before. I hope they do have a T4 - now that the world is destroyed and the machines have taken over.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide