And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:19 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
I know it's supposed to be Tol-keen, but I say Tol-kin. Too hard to break the bad habits I'm afraid.
Yeah, me too.

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
If I remember correctly, Tolkien said in the Letters that it's pronounced 'Tol-keen'. If that's how Tolkien says it, then that's how we should say it. Unfortunately I've been saying 'Tol-kin' for years, so I always have to correct myself. Like I always said 'Leg-gol-las', instead of 'Lego-las'. [/B]
Yes, IIRC he says in Letters that it's Tol-keen, but I've been saying Tol-kin for years, too, and it's hard to break. I said Legolas as "Le-GO-las" because it reminded me of the Legos toys to say it the other way.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #23
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I say Tol-kee-en, with emphasis on the first syllable, but only because that's the natural Norwegian pronunciation
The same with my language, it's natural to say 'TOL-kee-en'. I don't think anyone says 'tohl-keen' where I live.

I pronounce Legolas 'leh-goh-las', don't care that it reminds me of the Lego toys
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 03:19 PM   #24
Ruinel
Banned

We pronounce his name...
Velicë Ingolmo Eldaron
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:47 PM   #25
HobbitChick88
Elven Warrior

I've heard Tolkien pronounced both ways, but I think Tol-keen is the right way, though I'm not sure. However, I usually pronounce it Tolkin b/c people around here will give me weird looks if I pronounce it the other way . No idea why though...

"And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whose you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."
-Joshua 24:15

Step follows step,
Hope follows courage.
Set your face toward danger
Set your heart on victory!

"Where is Elizabeth?"
"She's safe, just like I promised. She's all set to marry Norrington just like she promised, and you get to die for her just like you promised. So we're all men of our word, really....except for Elizabeth who is, in fact, a woman."
~Will Turner and Jack Sparrow, POTC

fROdO LIVeS!!!!
HobbitChick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:07 PM   #26
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I've always heard it as Tol-keen, so that's how I've pronounced it.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:44 AM   #27
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

When I first came across the name, I pronounced it like: "toh-ki-en", with not much of an L sound in there. Though I still think that sounds better, I use tol-keen now.

"Most people never been to Hell," Jacob said.

She looked at him and he could hear the smile in her voice. "And I suppose you have?"
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:38 AM   #28
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I still can't say "Souron" instead of "Sawron".

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:49 AM   #29
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I say Toll-kun. As in, a toll atr a bridge, and then something that rhymes with gun.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:41 PM   #30
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

don't know if anyone remembers me, haven't been for a while. but pople where nice and even sayd happy birthday to me.

I have no idea what's the diffrence between Tolkin to tolkeen to anything else that have been written, I think I could hear the diffrence. but even if I can I don't know to spel it, so I don't know which of them I'm saying.

But I have no problem saying Sauron of legolas of any other name. Maby hebrew accent good for the names, but it'll probebly just sound wierd to anyone who doesn't know it.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 08:43 AM   #31
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Definitely pronounce it the British way! Americans are Americans and they will have their own peculiarities concerning pronunciation of words (meant as no offence!), but Tolkien was British and the name itself has a long history so it should be pronounced the way the Tolkien family would have.

p.s (only slightly relevant)

I'm from Birmingham, England, which just happens to be where Tolkien was brought up and where his family was from. It's probably well known but Tolkien got a lot of inspiration for names from the regional dialect - "Gamgee" for instance
Old 08-29-2003, 09:26 PM   #32
TopazJedi
Elven Warrior

What does Gamgee mean?
Old 08-31-2003, 02:36 PM   #33
azalea
Long lost mooter

I forget (I don't think it has a meaning, but is an actual English name or play on an English name), but it was discussed in a couple of threads. If you do a search, you're sure to find one.
Ooh, an opportunity to use my new knowlege from reading Letters! Tolkien wished he had given a different last name, one that made more sense in terms of geography (? I think) -- that his mental equivalent to the Gamgees was a different type of English counrtyside type. But his son Christopher (in the army at that time) would not let him change it because he liked Gamgee (so do I!).

I am currently listening to the American radio play of LotR (I wanted the BBC version, but didn't know this was not it), and it's driving me batty because they keep placing the accent of names on the second syllable instead of the first, and I say the names with the accent on the first syllable (which I think is correct). For instance, they pronounce SARuman as sarUman. And LEGolas as legOlas. They are doing that with other names, too.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:41 PM   #34
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I listened to the same play, azalea. What annoyed me was that they pronounced "Sauron" as "Sore-ron" All you have to do is have a peep in the appendices to check how it's pronounced. And Frodo with an American accent does not sound right to me.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:15 PM   #35
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I listened to the same play, azalea. What annoyed me was that they pronounced "Sauron" as "Sore-ron" All you have to do is have a peep in the appendices to check how it's pronounced. And Frodo with an American accent does not sound right to me.
Oh, yeah, Sore-on bugs me, too!
I don't know that I'm going to even have time to finish listening to it before I have to take it back.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 09:02 PM   #36
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Oh, yeah, Sore-on bugs me, too!
I don't know that I'm going to even have time to finish listening to it before I have to take it back.
I didn't get to finish it all either; I only listened to about half of the CDs. Reading the book is so much better.