Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-28-2003, 11:17 AM   #21
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by LutraMage
If you don't care about the movies, why bother to post a thread on the Movie Forum?
Now, LutraMage you should read what one is saying first, before complaining.
I said I don’t care if they win the Oscars, because they are not LotR. Not the same thing you are saying, is it?

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Peter Jackson on The Today Show, December 5, 2002
Nazgul King Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 11:35 AM   #22
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgul King Squirrel
Now, LutraMage you should read what one is saying first, before complaining.
I said I don’t care if they win the Oscars, because they are not LotR. Not the same thing you are saying, is it?
I'm a little confused.

Your first quote was
Quote:
"Since the movies are not really about tLotR why would I care?"
So I thought you were saying you don't care if the LotR's movies don't win the Oscars, because they are not the 'real' LotR (ie the books). If I got that wrong I'm sorry NKS

However, if I did get it wrong, what did you mean exactly?

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-28-2003 at 11:37 AM.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:28 PM   #23
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Are they entertaining movies? Yes, they are reasonable sword & sorcery movies and I enjoyed them.

Are they truly LotR? No, they are inspired in tLotR but are not LotR.

Are they classics that I would feel it as an injustice if they don’t win the Oscars? No. But then, I don’t enjoy only Oscar material.

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Old 06-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #24
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

"quote"
Are they truly LotR? No, they are inspired in tLotR but are not LotR

......so the books are LOTR but nothing else is? or do you think other movies are real and LOTR, TTT,ROTK are fantasy?........
...................."reality, what a concept".........
Old 06-28-2003, 03:27 PM   #25
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

No, calling something LotR doesn’t makes it LotR.

If they don’t do the same thing they do in the book, if they don’t speak the same lines they do in the book, if their personality is not the same of those in the book, they cannot be the same, can they? Calling them by the same names doesn’t make them the same. Logic, Mr. Spock, logic.

QUOTES:
PJ

Old 06-28-2003, 03:32 PM   #26
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nazgul King Squirrel
[B]No, calling something LotR doesn’t makes it LotR.

If they don’t do the same thing they do in the book, if they don’t speak the same lines they do in the book, if their personality is not the same of those in the book, they cannot be the same, can they? Calling them by the same names doesn’t make them the same. Logic, Mr. Spock, logic.
I completely agree and understand. However, I've yet to see a movie that was that perfect. Some are closer than others to the book version but none are exact. By your definition no movie is worth it?[ [URL=http://www.bellaonline.com/birding/photos/squi/squirrel.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Spock : 06-28-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #27
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I haven't seen TTT (tho' I'll probably rent the extended edition DVD once it's out), but I did see FoTR. Could NOT care less if any of the LoTR movies win, but I have to say I'm surprised FoTR didn't win. The Oscars, after all, are not about quality or artistic vision. They are about box office and popular appeal.

As proof, here are three miscarriages of justice (there are many more, believe me):

2000 Best Actress: Julia Roberts for Erin Brockovich beat out Ellen Burstyn in Requiem for a Dream
1976 Best Picture: Rocky beat Taxi Driver
1964 Best Picture: My Fair Lady won instead of Dr Strangelove

we curse the Academy, we do!
Old 06-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #28
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock

I completely agree and understand. However, I've yet to see a movie that was that perfect. Some are closer than others to the book version but none are exact. By your definition no movie is worth it? [URL=http://www.bellaonline.com/birding/photos/squi/squirrel.jpg[/IMG]

Some directors want to make their movies as close of the original as they can. Sometimes we, the viewers, see their movies and see it as truly a version of the book, different, but close enough. Sometimes being close to the book is good, sometimes is not.
Yet, sometimes the director don’t want to ”just” make the movie version of the book, and wants to tell a story, his story, based on the book. A valid option, and that is what I believe PJ did.

By the way, nice squirrel pic.

QUOTES:
PJ

Old 07-01-2003, 03:57 PM   #29
gdl96
the greg the admin

I haven't been in this forum in a while...and now i see why. Too many damn purists.

Anyway, I do think the movie deserves to win many Oscars next year.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 04:25 PM   #30
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I don't care, no... well, I do want them to win, but I won't be sad if they won't win.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 05:48 PM   #31
The Dunadan
Sapling

i'm going to be sooo angry if ROTK doesn't win best picture, we already got robbed cause FOTR didn't win, a beautiful mind did. i know ROTK will be a nomination, and better win!
Old 07-05-2003, 06:59 AM   #32
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Of course I want LotR to win oscars but if not ... I won't die.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:49 AM   #33
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Let's hope you're right and you don't die if TTT doesn't win.

As for your Cayman experience, sounds like it was a positive growth experience. Having been to those islands several times I find them delightful.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:07 PM   #34
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I, for one, care about the movies winning Oscars.

Nobody's pretending that the Oscars are some kind of authority on what's good, bad and ugly on the movie scene in a given year. Nobody will ever agree with every single one of their choices (nor will they disagree with all of them), and everybody can point to a few years when the upsets were outrageous (Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan? A Beautiful Mind over both Moulin Rouge! and The Fellowship of the Ring?).

But at the same time, nobody can deny that the Oscars have tremendous influence, and are important to the film industry in the same way box office tallies are.

Simply put: if a risky, high-quality fantasy film wins a whole smackload of Oscars, the big production companies will be more likely to finance similarly huge fantasy projects, or future films by the same director. George Lucas got the money to do Star Wars because American Graffiti was such a hit with moviegoers and critics alike. It's a chain reaction: movie wins Oscars, movie makes more money, studios begin to wonder what that movie did right and start financing similar projects. The result: more good movies.

Awards will also mean continued prestige for the films, though the impact is much bigger on smaller films than these big ones. There are many classic films I would never have stumbled upon had they not been rewarded with as many awards as they did in order to pique my interest. I was first introduced to Gone With The Wind because I was interested in how any film could possibly top The Wizard of Oz in awards in 1939. I heard of Cabaret because it was the film that very nearly beat The Godfather. This is how we remember movies like An American in Paris. More recently, this is how so many people were introduced to the sensation that was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - because it got a whopping ten nominations, a record for a foreign-language film.

Last but not least, here's something specific to LOTR: if it nabs up a Best Picture, it will break the sci-fi/fantasy curse that put Annie Hall over Star Wars, Chariots of Fire over Raiders of the Lost Ark, Gandhi over E.T.. Nobody can deny that genre films - good genre films - have been marginalized. LOTR is the perfect film to break that trend, as well as the misconception that films like it are "popcorn movies" by default, when these few special ones are in fact far greater.

Best of all: if the film wins Oscars, more people will read the book. Cases in point: I otherwise would never have read Mario Puzo's The Godfather or Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind.

On the other hand, LOTR could enter the pantheon of legendary films that didn't win (and arguably already has). Citizen Kane, Singin' in the Rain, 2001: A Space Odyssey - the list goes on.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:04 PM   #35
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Well said, IronParrot! I do hope they win the awards, and if they don't I do admit that I'll be rather disappointed. If they don't, it's not the end of the world. But the more awards, the more attention the movie gets. As the last movie in the trilogy, I truly hope that the Return of the King gets some awards.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:21 PM   #36
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Annie Hall! Ugh! Don't remind me!
Old 07-09-2003, 12:31 PM   #37
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

I think the movie itself is unworthy, but the soundtrack was truly marvelous.

Go Howard!
Old 07-09-2003, 01:21 PM   #38
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Nobody's pretending that the Oscars are some kind of authority on what's good, bad and ugly on the movie scene in a given year. Nobody will ever agree with every single one of their choices (nor will they disagree with all of them), and everybody can point to a few years when the upsets were outrageous (Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan? A Beautiful Mind over both Moulin Rouge! and The Fellowship of the Ring?).

Amen.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:10 PM   #39
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I can say this. The A.M.P.A.S. only(mostly) picks are biographical films, theres nothing wrong with that, but if rotk doesnt win there will be! I was sad for the losses of some of my favs though i.e...ghandi over e.t., annie hall over starwars,chariots of fire over raidersof the lost ark, terms of endearment over the mission, and so on....

p.s: i see my thread is in favor?
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:00 PM   #40
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Hi.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote