Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-23-2003, 03:55 PM   #21
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Hmm... Cuba is an island in the Americas, so I would guess NZ to be a continent in Australia. Maybe Asia. Or Australasia.
The continent site that I had posted says it's common now to refer to the Australian continent as Oceania - which includes New Zealand. I put the text in my last post as to what is considered Australia/Oceania. I will therefore repeat it here...

Quote:
Many modern atlases and geography experts now consider the long-established continent of Australia to be better defined as Australia/Oceania, which then combines and includes all of (Australia), the large island groups of New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Solomons, and the countless volcanic and coral islands of the south Pacific Ocean including those of Micronesia, Melanesia and Polynesia.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-23-2003 at 03:56 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #22
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Erhem. Of course I meant that I would expect NZ to be an island in Australia, not a continent.

Anyway, pardon me, I haven't really been keeping up in those thrad, I just read the last two posts.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 04:51 PM   #23
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Erhem. Of course I meant that I would expect NZ to be an island in Australia, not a continent.

Anyway, pardon me, I haven't really been keeping up in those thrad, I just read the last two posts.
it was just addressed to you - your's was just the last post that questioned the status of New Zealand and what the continent was called after I had posted it. There was also Sun-Star and Elfgirl too.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-23-2003, 08:31 PM   #24
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

In NZ we call it Australasia. The term "Australia" has since, as you pointed out, been changed/expanded to Oceania. Either way, the Australasian/Australian/Oceanic plate includes Australia, New Zealand, and Oceania (pacific.). Anyway, my point is that since the continent encompasses more than just Australia, it should either be called Australasia (as we call it), or Oceania. And YES, the term is a perfectly valid one as any general search on google will show.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 08:36 PM   #25
jerseydevil

I think we still use the term Australia generally - even in schools - but I'm not sure. When we learned about the continents (which is not much) we were never taught about the islands or anything.

Basically as far as I knew - North America was 3 countries - Mexico, United States of America and Canada. I didn't even know it included the Carribean island nations. I also thought that the Australian continent was just Australia. I thought the island nations again - were just islands and not part of any continent.

I don't really know if I like the term "Oceania" - it sort of reminds me of George Orwell's "1984".

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-23-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:55 PM   #26
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I don't really know if I like the term "Oceania" - it sort of reminds me of George Orwell's "1984".
I agree with you there. I also thought of 1984.

When I was in school, I was taught about the seven continents:
Africa
Antartica
Asia
Australia
Europe
North America
South America

My cousin (from Europe) considers North/South America as one continent.

JD,

Cool site on geography.

Here is a sad study. They asked 8th graders from the US to find the US on a globe. Only 25% were able to accomplish this difficult task. [I do not remember when or where this info came from exactly. I think it was about 4-8 years from Educational Testing Service.]

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:25 PM   #27
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I have to say I don't believe that! Where are these incredibly stupid children hiding? Even my mildly mentally retarded daughter could answer that question when she was in 8th grade!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:48 PM   #28
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
Here is a sad study. They asked 8th graders from the US to find the US on a globe. Only 25% were able to accomplish this difficult task. [I do not remember when or where this info came from exactly. I think it was about 4-8 years from Educational Testing Service.]
I saw a TV programme about how poor knowledge US students have about geography. It was really shocking. And these students were studying to be lawyers and doctors and other high educational professions. It's a shame they didn't know more about the world.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:40 PM   #29
jerseydevil

I don't knwo where they are either. IN school we always had to know where the states were and work with maps. I had maps hanging up in my room all the time though - I always needed to know where places were. I still have a hard time believing that 25% number though. I knwo hardly anyone can find NJ on a map though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #30
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
I don't knwo where they are either. IN school we always had to know where the states were and work with maps. I had maps hanging up in my room all the time though - I always needed to know where places were. I still have a hard time believing that 25% number though. I knwo hardly anyone can find NJ on a map though.
Doing a search on google I was able to find the article:
How Can We Help Children Learn Geography?

and here is the quote from the article.

Quote:
A recent survey revealed that one in five Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 could not locate the United States on an outline map of the world. What explains this lack of geographic knowledge? In the United States, geography is not considered a basic academic course. Geography content in the middle grades (5-8) is often integrated into a world history or social studies course, and only one student in seven takes a high school geography course.
This is even worse than I remember. (1 in 5 or 20%; ouch!!!)
This article is from about 1990-91.

Although I personnally did not experience or witness such geographic ineptitude, if this study was even about half as bad (ie only 40-50% could find the US on a globe) it would reflect poorly on US students.

Some more articles I found while trying to dig up the previous article.

NAEP 1994 Geographic Assessment

The article makes the following statements:
» At grades 4, 8, and 12, approximately 70 percent of students were able to reach the Basic level.
» The Proficient level was reached by 22 percent of fourth graders, 28 percent of eighth graders, and 27 percent of twelfth graders.

National Geographic

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Last edited by mithrand1r : 06-24-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:37 PM   #31
jerseydevil

I was going to point out that the US is not the only country with problems. There was a previous thread about the lack of knowledge concerning Europe by Europeans.

The National Geographic link also demonstrates this...

Quote:
Young adults worldwide are not markedly more literate about geography than the Americans.

On average, fewer than 25 percent of young people worldwide could locate Israel on the map. Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

Of all the young adults in the survey, only about one-third in Germany, Sweden and Japan, could name four countries that officially acknowledge having nuclear weapons. In the rest of the countries that number dropped to less than a quarter. In France 24 percent did not know that that their own country was a nuclear nation.
To me - knowledge has always been power. If students can be taught this and believe it - maybe they would be more inclined to understand that knowing where Israel is and what is going on - is important.

As a side note - I would also like these surveys to be broken up by state. Each state has their own requirements and education is a STATE right. The educational requirements in Indiana are no where near the the educational requirements of New Jersey (from personal experience).

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-24-2003 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 04:18 PM   #32
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
I was going to point out that the US is not the only country with problems. There was a previous thread about the lack of knowledge concerning Europe by Europeans.
I don't think anyone said the US was the only country.

I know my geography knowledge is faaaaaar from exemplary. But I think I can manage to locate the different continents though. That is, if we ever reach a consensus on just how many continents there are!
Old 06-25-2003, 04:40 PM   #33
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I don't think anyone said the US was the only country.
No - but based on past experience - too many people like to think that America is the only country that contains ignorant people.
Quote:

I know my geography knowledge is faaaaaar from exemplary. But I think I can manage to locate the different continents though. That is, if we ever reach a consensus on just how many continents there are!
I just go by the American way. If other countries want to consider them differently - then that's up to them. I don't really understand how they consider North and South America as being one continent though.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-25-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:26 PM   #34
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Well, I still don't believe it! Sometimes kids act like they don't know stuff just cause they are being goofy. No way 20% can't find USA on a world map or globe. Sorry, I don't buy it! Now, I can believe people not being able to find lots of the countries that have changed names and boundaries in the past fifty years. There's been quite a bit of that, I don't keep up with africa or the former soviet state. I wonder if they still make kids do those salt maps....I remember making quite a few south american countries with that flour/salt/food color goo! (It was fun! )
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 04:43 PM   #35
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
A recent survey revealed that one in five Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 could not locate the United States on an outline map of the world.
Have you ever heard the phrase 'lies, damned lies, and statistics?'

Last edited by LutraMage : 06-26-2003 at 04:45 PM.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:55 AM   #36
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by LutraMage
Have you ever heard the phrase 'lies, damned lies, and statistics?'
Yes and you make a good point.

I am glad I found the article, so people may read the source and decide for themselves how much credence they wish to attribute to the survey.

Lizra also makes a good point that people may sometimes act "dumber" than they truly are.

I do know some people that are geographically chalenged. (can not read a map for navigation purposes)

Old 06-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #37
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....Hell, I can't keep up with what country Afro Elf is in much less find it!!
Old 06-30-2003, 08:20 PM   #38
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
....Hell, I can't keep up with what country Afro Elf is in much less find it!!

LOL.
Who said 1/2 Vulcans had no humor.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #39
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

I'm just resurrecting this old thread to point out that the Olimpic Flag agrees with us: there are five continents

BTW, where's A-E now?
Old 08-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #40
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
I'm just resurrecting this old thread to point out that the Olimpic Flag agrees with us: there are five continents

BTW, where's A-E now?
It doesn't agree with you - they just didn't want six rings - because it would the rings would look lopsided - so they just combined South and North America. The two together are called THE AmericaS.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide