Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2003, 09:59 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

Letters! I've got Letters! I've got lots and lots of Letters!

My husband had gotten me a Borders gift card for Mom's Day, and I went today and bought Letters and also Bilbo's Last Song. I couldn't resist that one even though it was $13 and put me over the amount of the card, because I've been looking for it for so long. Of course reading it made me tear up. I really wanted to get one of Tolkien's other stories that I haven't read yet, like Tree and Leaf or The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, but they didn't have any. I'm glad to have Letters, though. I think I'll read UT first, in any case (which I already have). I'm bummed because my library doesn't have BoLT I, only II, which I have checked out right now (for the second time -- I had to return it before I got a chance to read it last time), and I really wanted to read them in order. Do you think it will matter?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 10:45 PM   #22
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

oooh, congrats! You've got mail

Yeah, Bilbo's last song is really sweet, and Tolkien really liked that illustrator (Pauline Baynes), as you'll discover in Letters - look in the index, there's a really funny one about what one of Tolkien's friends said about her!

ps - I only have BoLT 2, but I don't see it making any difference, really - at this point, we all know how the story goes , so the order/part of the books shouldn't make a difference for the supplementary stuff...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-31-2003 at 10:47 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 11:45 PM   #23
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

If you want a sense of the evolution of the stories (*pokes tongues at Rian*), then I believe that it's important to read the books in order. However, if you're only after supplementary reading to the Sil, then I guess the later HoMEs are the crucial ones - Morgoth's Ring, War of the Jewels, and Peoples of Middle Earth.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:08 AM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*pokes tongue back at Sheeana*
Evolution, huh?

What do you like better, azalea? First age stuff, like in much of the Sil, or LoTR age stuff?

Yeah, in order is prob. nice, but I just take what I can get! I found Lays of B. at half price once, so I snatched it up (and I absolutely love it, BTW!) I'm hoping to get WoTJ next.

Have you really enjoyed the LoTR development stuff, Sheeana? I found Treason of Isengard to be kinda dull.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-01-2003, 12:27 AM   #25
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Have you really enjoyed the LoTR development stuff, Sheeana? I found Treason of Isengard to be kinda dull.
Here's a clue: I'm still stuck on the Treason of Isengard months later. The first one wasn't so bad (Return of the Shadow), but so far Isengard has just been one manuscript after another, just slightly changed. *Jaw breaking yawn* Oh well, once I finish this next few books I'm supposed to read, I'll make an effort to get back into it. *Seriously questioning the sanity of Christopher Tolkien for making me comb through repetitive manuscripts like that.*
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:05 AM   #26
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I really liked the History of the Lord of the Rings, but then I like the LOTR more than the Sil. The Return of the Shadow was really good, though the changing of the hobbits' names got confusing at times. And part that annoyed me was when Tolkien was considering putting in the FOTR that Frodo had killed one of Farmer Maggot's dogs!
I really, really want to buy the Letters, but I can't find it anywhere. I'll probably have to buy it online. *sigh*
Old 06-01-2003, 11:02 AM   #27
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I'm bummed because my library doesn't have BoLT I, only II, which I have checked out right now (for the second time -- I had to return it before I got a chance to read it last time), and I really wanted to read them in order. Do you think it will matter?
I got the advice to read the stories in BoLT 1 & 2 in order, because there's a story about Eriol running through both books, a narrative frame, on how he came to the Lonely Isle and how he came to learn the history of the Elves.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #28
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Here's a clue: I'm still stuck on the Treason of Isengard months later. [/SIZE]
Note to self: avoid Treason of Isengard until all other books are read.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 PM   #29
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
I got the advice to read the stories in BoLT 1 & 2 in order, because there's a story about Eriol running through both books, a narrative frame, on how he came to the Lonely Isle and how he came to learn the history of the Elves.
AHA! See, I knew it would make a difference! Well, I've said before I'm also an "in order" kind of person. For instance, I insist on reading all forwards, introductions, acknowledgments, and prologues to any book before I read it.
Rian: I'm a LotR lover more than the Silm (I've only gotten through The Silm one time, but I did like it after all).
Old 06-02-2003, 03:07 PM   #30
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I'm more of a First Age person. I love all that stuff, when the Big Bad Guys were even Bigger and Badder! But I'm rather an "in order" person, too, and I probably will re-read LOTR, re-read the Sil, and then armed with these precious volumes of beauty wade forth into the sea of the Unfinished Tales, which has alas! repelled me on two previous attempts. I'm struggling through it now, but not very well.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #31
azalea
Long lost mooter

Uh-oh, that doesn't bode well for me. But I'm determined! Let's have a positive attitude! When are you going to start it? (IOW, how long will it take you to reread the other two?) Because if it will be fairly soon, we should start a "Reading UT" thread so it can be like we're reading it together, along with anyone else who wants to read or reread it!
Old 06-03-2003, 01:06 AM   #32
Gwaimir Windgem

Alas, I wouldn't be able to participate, due to the fact that I'm leaving the country in the middle of June. I don't really have any idea when I'll start it again. If I do see a Reading UT thread, I'll certainly drop in for a break from my struggles.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #33
azalea
Long lost mooter

Oh, well. I didn't realize you were leaving so soon! I guess whenever I finally start reading it I'll do a thread, so that at least maybe people who have read it can help me understand it, or encourage me.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:14 AM   #34
Rían

I gave in to temptation! I was looking at an Amazon link that ElfGirl gave me, and it just /happened/ to mention WoTJ, and, um, well, CLICK! (heh heh)

WoTJ in 2 days! Woo hoo!!!!!!

("justified" by the fact that I"ll be in the Arizona high desert for a week (starting Sat.) with my husband's side of the family and will need a good read when I get bored of the scenery )

Old 06-18-2003, 01:18 AM   #35
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Alas, I wouldn't be able to participate, due to the fact that I'm leaving the country in the middle of June. I don't really have any idea when I'll start it again. If I do see a Reading UT thread, I'll certainly drop in for a break from my struggles.
Gwai, how often will you be able to get on? I'll sure miss you but I hope you can get on a few times a week, at least, to stay in touch with us all.

GO FIRST AGERS!!!

And where are you in UT? I'm an orderly person, but I say "order begone!" if it's keeping you from some good Tolkien stuff.

*looks at UT*

Eep! You mean you don't like "Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin"??? I LOVE that one! Why, "RÃ*an" is the very first word in that story!

Old 06-18-2003, 01:21 AM   #36
Rían

azalea, how's "Letters" coming along?

Gwai, you should get "Letters" - it's really fascinating, IMO.

Old 06-18-2003, 02:21 AM   #37
Gwaimir Windgem

I'll be able to have access to the Internet a limited time; most likely two hours a week, though that number is certainly subject to change.

Didn't do too well before, but then I started to get into it; then, I had an hour-or-two wait at the doctors office, and voila! Tuor and His Coming is read. Though my (brand new) UT is falling apart now.

Right now, I'm still in the Narn i Hin Hurin ( slowpoke ), reading about the trials of Morwen in the house of Hurin after his capture by Morgoth. I like Morwen.

Quote:
Gwai, you should get "Letters" - it's really fascinating, IMO.
I have two copies (one for Russia, one "nicer" -barely - one to keep secret and safe here, so it doesn't get banged around and out of shape from moving etc.). And I agree.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-18-2003, 02:22 PM   #38
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
azalea, how's "Letters" coming along?
Well, I actually haven't started yet, because I have been reading "The Fall of Gondolin" from BoLT II. But I keep having to return it to the library before I finish! It is taking me a while because a)I'm taking notes and b)I'm having a busy June, what with the kids in swim lessons, science camp, etc., so my reading time is very limited.
But I like having Letters even if I'm not starting it yet, because it gives me something to look forward to. I have it upright on a shelf, so I can see it every time I walk by there.
I used to be able to read several books at one time w/ out a problem until I became a parent -- too much to store in my brain at one time! Plus the fact that BoLT II is written in a style that is different from what I like to read, so I really have to concentrate.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #39
Gwaimir Windgem

"But I like having Letters even if I'm not starting it yet, because it gives me something to look forward to"

I know exactly what you mean. That why I'm quite excited for my HoMe books to get here. All but the last three (including the famed "Morgoth's Ring" ) are ordered, and they will be ordered the next time we have an amazon order.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 06-18-2003, 03:03 PM   #40
Rían

Yes, the writing in F of G is pretty thick, but very beautiful, IMO.

Here's a suggestion from another busy mom *written as she's trying to start packing for a week-long camping trip with 20 family members* - keep "Letters" in your car! It's a wonderful car book, because the letters really stand by themselves as individual units (IOW, there's not a storyline you have to keep up with), so during those swim lessons or waiting to pick them up from science camp, you can enjoy a few letters. That may not be your style, tho, but for me I tend to have unexpected waiting time, and "Letters" turned that time from dull to great!

And I just got a confirmation from Amazon that my books shipped! Yay! I should have them by Friday, and we leave Saturday. It'll be rather a contrast reading about beautiful Beleriand in the Arizona desert ....