Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-07-2003, 01:00 AM   #21
Huan
Elven Warrior

eeek, didn't even occur to me. I guess I just assumed everyone would see it on opening weekend. Sorry, Gwaimir (why isn't there a smilie conveying a really sheepish don't-hit-me expression?). Meanwhile, when I got home from my second helping of X2, the first movie "happened" to be on television, and I have to say, though I definitely dig the original movie, I'm beginning to understand those people who said that X-Men was basically an extended trailer for X-Men 2. I mean, the first movie is like a high school play compared to the second one. Another thing that occured to me seeing them one after another like that: maybe Professor X should consider taking a sledgehammer to Cerebro. I mean, how many times do villains have to sabotage a device you hook up to your own BRAIN before it outlives its usefulness? Another spoiler, I know. Go see the movie already!
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 09:51 AM   #22
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

No, I saw the movie. I was referring to all the talk of "Phoenix".

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:49 PM   #23
Huan
Elven Warrior

Oh. Well my feeling is, if anyone doesn't know what happens to Phoenix, they deserve to have it spoiled for them. You know, that was my only disappointment on the first viewing: I was anxiously waiting for a cinematic version of the comic's iconic money shot of Phoenix bursting out of the water (where in the comic she says "I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever I am Phoenix!" or some gobbledygook like that). I was so sure at the very end when you see that birdlike shape rising in the water that the flick would end with Famke Janssen bursting from the water, and I was SO FRUSTRATED. But I'm over it now.

By the way, I just love saying the name Famke Janssen. Famke Janssen. Sometimes I just repeat it over and over.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:00 PM   #24
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Oh darn, somebody better lock the thread I stupidly started.

But in there I did put a link in case anyone doesn't know about the Pheonix Force. Or you could just type Pheonix Force into Goggle and see what that tells you.

Nightcrawler rocked. What a crazed medieval mentality. Still no Beast, no Gambit, but another cameo for Kitty Pride.

They are totally botching the X-men stories. It's bad enough we had to reconcile several writers' disagreements over the years, but now we have another non-standard timeline. Sigh.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:35 PM   #25
Huan
Elven Warrior

Well, the movie is a thing unto itself. All of the changes help to keep the movie coherent. I haven't had a problem with a single change. By the way, the Beast was in fact in the movie: when Mystique hits on the guard in the bar, the tv shows a talking-head discussion of the "mutant problem," and one of the talking heads is Dr. Hank McCoy. The other was named Shaw, and I know that's a reference to the comic but I can't remember who it is. Maybe the guy the X-Men fought in space before the shuttle crash that created Phoenix. I am personally praying that they never include even a cameo of Gambit, as I don't believe in him, Bishop, Cable, or any other mutant who appeared after 1988, when I quit reading anything with an X on it up until Grant Morrison took over the writing.
Old 05-07-2003, 04:17 PM   #26
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Well if I ever get off the moot today, I'll walk to the theatre and see it. When I saw the first one I though it pretty much sets you up for a crap sequel, but a lot of people are saying it's really good. And now that I know the storyline (Dark Pheonix Saga) I think it and the rest will also be very good.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:58 AM   #27
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I've seen it 4 times since wednesday last week. I like it. Much, much better than the first one, with which I think they held back a lot. Personally, I don't care if they change anything from the comic books as long as it becomes coherent based on the premises onscreen. You can always call it another alterverse or pretend it's some mutant's dream.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 05-08-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 AM   #28
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Woohoo! I finally did see it yesterday. I agree Arathorn, they did hold back a lot. It was great.

In the beginning when the camera was traveling through space, was anybody else waiting for Patrick Stewart to say "Space, the final frontier...."?

Last edited by Bombadillo : 05-11-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 11:48 AM   #29
Huan
Elven Warrior

Arathorn, to be fair it wasn't the filmmakers holding back on the first one, it was the fact that the studio wouldn't give them either the money or sufficient shooting schedule to make the film they wanted to make, the reason being, I believe, that the superhero thing was considered riskyat the time, as the last superhero movie was Batman and Robin. And studios being how they are, they blamed the flop of that movie on superheroes in general rather than the fact that Batman and Robin sucked.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:49 PM   #30
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Fair enough, Huan. The understandably cautious investors held back on the support. My main point is that, although I enjoyed the first X-Men movie, I never felt like watching again or buying a DVD. X-2 has me going back time and again to look for things to nitpick and easter eggs to hunt. It was awesome!

I also liked that they didn't go easy on the violence since most of the fans have been exposed to that through the comic books anyway. The only thing they did hold back on in this one was the blood but Logan's meat-mincing and Pyro's home-cooking scenes were nicely done.

And I also agree with some of you guys: My favorite scene was Ganda..er... Magneto's escape. Woooha!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 05-08-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:18 PM   #31
Huan
Elven Warrior

Yeah, my favorite thing about the movie's bloodlessness is that the illusion of nasty violence is handled through the sound effects. When Wolverine cuts someone it SOUNDS brutal. And that scene when Lady Deathstrike just goes medieval on Logan: shunk-shunk-shunk-shunk-shunk-shunk!!!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:11 PM   #32
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

I am going to see it tomorrow

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2003, 10:42 PM   #33
Gwaimir Windgem

"Many are my names in many coutries, he said. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf, and in America Magneto."

I agree that was probably my favourite scene, although now that I know what the end was...it's something of a tossup. I LOVE the whole Phoenix concept.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-09-2003, 10:44 PM   #34
Gwaimir Windgem

Speaking of Lady Deathspike, some of the people in the theater were sick! When she clunked on the bottom of the tank, there were several laughs! That was NOT funny! It was realistic (considering the circumstances ), it was dramatic, but it was NOT funny!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-09-2003, 10:52 PM   #35
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I heard laughs too, Gwaimir. I thought it was kinda morbid that they laughed!
Anywho, loved Nightcrawler. Heck I loved the whole movie, and all the characters! Im going to see it again tomorrow!!
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 02:38 AM   #36
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
"Many are my names in many coutries, he said. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf, and in America Magneto."
LOL! Can I borrow this quote, Gwaimir? Please pretty please with mutant genes on top?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-10-2003, 02:46 AM   #37
Gwaimir Windgem

Throw in a million bucks, and you got a deal.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 05-10-2003 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:47 AM   #38
Huan
Elven Warrior

Alas Gwaimir, the unwashed also laughed when Gollum was shrieking at being burned by the elven rope around his neck. Pearls before swine.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:11 AM   #39
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Throw in a million bucks, and you got a deal.
Here's a million middle-earth bucks. Thanks!

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 05-10-2003, 03:15 AM   #40
Gwaimir Windgem

Pleasure doing business with you, sir.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle