Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2000, 10:40 PM   #21
Gilthalion

Mushrooms & Bacon!

Please recall that it is a "mighty dish of mushrooms and bacon" that turns hobbits on!

I can personally testify that this is a Good Thing.

Directly inspired by the account, I have melted butter in a skillet, fried bacon just a little, tossed in some chopped onion, fresh crushed garlic, a little red wine, and giant portabello mushrooms over the top.

All of this gets stirred around frequently and the mushrooms turned a couple of times, with a lid to keep the moisture in most of the time.

It doesn't take long!

Soon you have tender mushrooms flavored with bacon, wine, butter, onion, and garlic.

Ooooooooooh!

(And with that, the little hobbit scuttled off to the pantry for an after-dinner corner-filler! Now, if he could only get some Miruvor...)
Old 09-20-2000, 09:41 PM   #22
Elanor

Re: Mushrooms & Bacon!

Hey I was thinking...(I do this occasionally) and I came up with another very influential food, in the Silmarillion when Ungoliant sucks the light from the Two Trees and drinks dry the wells of Varda. Eventually she devours herself, doesn't she? ugh.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:17 AM   #23
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Re: Re: The Answer (SPOILER)

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
Theonering.net has a whole section dedicated to fan recipes for food from Middle Earth. I think I'll print some out one of these days and make a great big ancient feast.
I'm trying to find some recipies for food from Middle Earth, so dose anyone know exsacly where one theonering.net I can find them? I've been there half a million times, and I haven't seen them!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:11 AM   #24
francod
Enting

mutton

muttton and venison, you could live totaly large on that food stuffs. Beorn food sound tasty but if i am going to fight in the goblin dwarf wars veggies ain't gonna get it done
Old 03-09-2003, 07:12 PM   #25
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

Strider

I think that Lembas would be nice, but i dislike mushrooms(but i love hobbits, go figure)
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Indril Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:57 PM   #26
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

Tom Bombadil's water that refreshes you instantly sounds very nice. So does the Lembas bread. Mutton sounds nastey though. I don't like mushrooms so I wouldn't like those either.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #27
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Nazgul

Worst food has to be "Manflesh" (You will taste it!)
Old 03-09-2003, 09:58 PM   #28
Heather Wooltoes
Elven Warrior

How's about some dwarf-ridden pony? mmmmmmmmmm...........if a dragon likes it you know it has to be good!!!

Don't p*** me off.....I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!
Heather Wooltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 05:45 PM   #29
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Quote:
"And you need not turn up your nose at the provender, Master Gimli," said Merry. "This is not orc-stuff, but man-food, as Treebeard calls it. Will you have wine or beer? There's a barrel inside there-very passable. And this is first-rate salted pork. Or I can cut you some rashers of bacon and broil them, if you like. I am sorry there is no green stuff: deliveries have been rather interrupted in the last few days! I cannot offer you anything to follow but butter and honey for your bread. Are you content?"
Not turkey and stuffing, but still...

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 11-27-2003 at 05:47 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:49 AM   #30
Jade of Mordor
Sapling

I can't say that lembas sounds appealing to me....ugh. Mushrooms either. I'd like to get my hands on some of Bilbo's cakes, though!
Jade of Mordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #31
Bilbo
Enting

Being of the genus Hobbitus Hungarius, I am in fact particular to ALL foods in general.
After asking a few of my friends (who are too shy to join this humble forum), I have decided that some of the foods do not seem to have been thought up out of thin air. Not even Lembas, which seems to be a sort of doughy-cake, has been 100% invented.
This really annoys me. After spending six years eating Lembas iI find it actually tastes like dough.
I do like my cakes
Old 12-04-2003, 12:29 PM   #32
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

lembas has always made me think of hard-tack, the hard as bricks crackers they ate in teh Civil War. I have always wanted to try them, even if they sound horrible, which they do.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:53 PM   #33
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Beor
lembas has always made me think of hard-tack, the hard as bricks crackers they ate in teh Civil War. I have always wanted to try them, even if they sound horrible, which they do.

You may have been thinking of cram (which I'd forgotten about until lembas was brought up).

"The food was mostly in the form of very thin cakes, made of a meal that was baked a light brown on the outside, and inside was the colour of cream. Gimli took up one of the cakes and looked at it with a doubtful eye.
'Cram,' he said under his breath, as he broke off a crisp corner and nibbled at it. His expression quickly changed, and he ate all the rest of the cake with relish.
'No more, no more!' cried the Elves laughing. 'You have eaten enough already for a long day's march.'
"I thought it was only a kind of cram, such as the Dale-men make for journeys in the wild," said the Dwarf.
'So it is,' they answered. 'But we call it lembas or waybread, and it is more strengthening than any food made by Men, and it is more pleasant than cram, by all accounts.' "

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-04-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:50 PM   #34
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

actually, I was thinking of lembas, I dont know, it just seems like it would be like hard tack. Just let me be wierd !

by the way, it also reminds me of the pound cakes in MRE's, the food we get now (which is a far cry to the good side of hard tack most likely, but still not quite right)
Old 12-09-2003, 09:02 AM   #35
Naugrim
Hobbit

Gimli

The worst? Here's a quote from the movies regarding this particular food:

"Meat's back on the menu, boys!"

Orc sashimi...tasty
Naugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #36
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Re: One of Smaug's favorite foods...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hernalt
"Do Virgins Taste Better?" A dragon has come to our village today. We've asked him to leave, but he won't go away. Now he's talked to our king and they worked out a deal. No homes will he burn and no crops will he steal. Now there is but one catch, we dislike it a bunch. Twice a year he invites him a virgin to lunch. Well, we've no other choice, so the deal we'll respect. But we can't help but wonder and pause to reflect. Chorus Do virgins taste better than those who are not? Are they salty, or sweeter, more juicy or what? Do you savor them slowly? Gulp them down on the spot? Do virgins taste better than those who are not? Now we'd like to be shed you, and many have tried. But no one can get through your thick scaly hide. We hope that some day, some brave knight will come by. 'Cause we can't wait around 'til you're too fat to fly. Now you have such good taste in your women for sure, They always are pretty, they always are pure. But your notion of dining, it makes us all flinch, For your favorite entree is barbecued wench. Chorus Now we've found a solution, it works out so neat, If you insist on nothing but virgins to eat. No more will our number ever grow small, We'll simply make sure there's no virgins at all! Chorus
by the Brobdingnagian Bards. The great duo.

I think cram is a little closer to hard tack then lembas, though I always imagined it more like twice-baked bread. I always pictured lembas to look like (but not taste like) these fried, flat, rectangular, golden hash-browns they used to serve at my high school's concession stand.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #37
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I always imagined lembas to taste like Zagnut candy bars. Don't laugh. JRRT is on record as saying that he thought that ambrosia tasted like very sweet Coca-Cola.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #38
Anadriewen
Enting

I always wanted to try lemabas. My guess is that it would taste like a sweet bread-thing-kinda-stuff-thats-good.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #39
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Re: Mushrooms & Bacon!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilthalion
Please recall that it is a "mighty dish of mushrooms and bacon" Directly inspired by the account, I have melted butter in a skillet, fried bacon just a little, tossed in some chopped onion, fresh crushed garlic, a little red wine, and giant portabello mushrooms over the top.
All of this gets stirred around frequently and the mushrooms turned a couple of times, with a lid to keep the moisture in most of the time.
Yep good stuff, and remeber that fresh Thyme leaves are a wonderous match with mushrooms.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote