Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-30-2003, 06:36 PM   #21
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Actually, you have to get permission to scatter your ashes in a lot of places these days, as it's considered pollution... So, what with the coffin costs, and the permits for scattering ashes... Next thing you know, we'll need a permit for dying.

Quote:
Hasty Ent:
Sheeana is right (as usual )
Now that deserves a replay. Ah!
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:35 PM   #22
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Next thing you know, we'll need a permit for dying.
If we ever do.....I won't pay it..........they can send me the fine

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:01 PM   #23
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I'm donating my doohickey to science.
well if you die young some people will still put your doohickey to good use....

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hasty Ent:
Sheeana is right (as usual )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that deserves a replay. Ah!
now hasty ent is half right too.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:10 PM   #24
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

But why do you have to buy a coffin? Surely they have SOME (most likely lame) excuse for it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:13 PM   #25
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
But why do you have to buy a coffin? Surely they have SOME (most likely lame) excuse for it.
In the UK you don't have to buy one............the local authority (local government) will pay for it if you don't have life insurance (strange term that, life insurance to pay for yer funeral)........I'm sure most countries do have some provision for a free funeral/creamtion..........ater all some people must die without leaving money or family to cover the expenses.

Beatallica
Old 04-30-2003, 09:21 PM   #26
Ruinel
Banned

Wow, makes me glad I'm an Elf....
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:58 PM   #27
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Don't look at me, I don't know. I guess part of it is because people like to view the body of the deceased before the cremation takes place. My grandma's funeral was exactly like that of a burial: church, service, lots of pointless singing, viewing her in the coffin, etc, before the cremation took place.

Cremation FAQ
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:23 PM   #28
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Okay so we needed to start a thread for this?!?!?!?
Being an elf and all I have no need for coffins but if I were evr to be killed I'd say burn me

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:28 PM   #29
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I plan on getting cremated when I die. We already use enough of the land as it is, just send me back to it. My soul doesn't need it's earthly host anymore anyway. It's funny how much emphasis and grief is wasted on the dead, when there is nothing you can do. I understand that pain is very real, because I have lost loved ones. Heck, I am still getting over the loss of a CAT (which, by the way, we got cremated).

And to those of you popping into this thread merely to say "Good thing I don't need to worry about it, I'm an elf", do you realize how irritating that is? If you don't really have a reason to contribute to the conversation, other than to try to establish that you are a mythical creature of immense beauty and wisdom that in actuality does not exist (and even if it did would not be visible to the human eye today, since the power of man causes Tolkien elves to fade physically), don't!

Phwoo...I'm sorry about that, it's just been building up.

edit: I'd like to keep this thread on topic, so if any of the alleged elves want to "duke it out", feel free to PM me. I'll be reserved, I promise.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 04-30-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:34 PM   #30
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
And to those of you popping into this thread merely to say "Good thing I don't need to worry about it, I'm an elf", do you realize how irritating that is?
Yes as a matter of fact we do. Thank you.

If i have to be a human in the real world why not indulge myself in fantasies? (In between math and biology)

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
Old 04-30-2003, 11:40 PM   #31
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well i dont think grief is waisted. its all a part of the mourning process. perfectly normal. its kind of silly to worry about whats going to happen to your body after you die. funerals are not for the dead. they are for the living. thats why coffins are important to people. you have something physical to identify. a little urn can only give the mourners so much. funerals are never about the dead. they are about providing a setting for shared social grief. why do you think irish wakes are so much fun.

EDIT: wait. last time i checked elves can die. so yeah this applies to you pretty folk as well.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 04-30-2003 at 11:42 PM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:45 PM   #32
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
if I were evr to be killed I'd say burn me
As I stated . . .
Grief should be given it's time. It's okay to be sad.
And even if there is nothing you can do after they're are dead you can still be sad because they've left.

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
Old 04-30-2003, 11:48 PM   #33
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Oh, I agree, grief is natural. It's just strange, when you think about it. I am quite willing to grieve openly, and I usually do not hide or stifle feelings of sadness at the loss of a loved one. I am a very emotional being.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:10 AM   #34
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

I am turning 18 tomorrow. i will procrastinate the argument prepared for this thread until after my BIRTHDAY.
Old 05-01-2003, 04:45 AM   #35
Millane
The Dude

hehehehe when i was young and that it was always a fear of mine of being buried alive, so i thought i wanted a christal coffin like Snow White and just rested in the garden until i wake up. im still **** scared of being buried alive but i think ill just be buried with a knife, bad thoughts i dont see the point of buying a coffin for cremation do they burn you in it or something? i like the idea of King Arthurs cremation in First Knight...
Geez what currency were you talking about for coffin prices? in Aussie dollars they start at $2000 for a plain one and about $3500 to $4000+ for a pretty classy one...
Old 05-01-2003, 05:46 AM   #36
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
hehehehe when i was young and that it was always a fear of mine of being buried alive,
Yer not alone there.....I remember reading in some magazine about how an insurance company is offering to bury people with a mobile phone in the coffin! ............ bit of a pointless exercise (and expense) considering that a body is kept at the mortuary for 3 days..........and the embalmer pierces both lungs and the stomach :/ (you go *pop* when the gasses and air swell otherwise..........be a bit off form if the congregation at the funeral were giving it welly with All Things Bright and Beautiful and the coffin provided the percussion ).

As for my preferred disposal of my body...........just light a fire (cremated)...........might as well throw a couple of 'taters in their to roast as well..........gotta feed the punters at the wake!

Beatallica
Old 05-01-2003, 06:39 AM   #37
Millane
The Dude

bah if theyve already buried me theyve alread paid money so theres no need for a phone but the knife will stay (in the slight chance there is some afterlife it might be of use aswell) hmmm now that i think of it i wouldnt mind that chrystil coffin but i dont think id be allowed to just chuck it in the backyard. i got some of that death money here so ill get some people to burn that...
Old 05-01-2003, 11:03 AM   #38
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
Originally posted by congressmn
I am turning 18 tomorrow. i will procrastinate the argument prepared for this thread until after my BIRTHDAY.
Then happy birthday for tomorrow (sorry I know this should go in another thread, but I don't have much time)

Erm 18 eh? Guess you'll only be 17 for a short while still.........about yer sig......
Old 05-01-2003, 05:06 PM   #39
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Millane
always a fear of mine of being buried alive
ooh......... when I stress out, that's what I dream about... being buried alive. I'll wake up in a sweat and I won't sleep for the rest of the night. Usually happens over a period of a couple of days and I'll look like hell. I gotta learn to relax. phew!!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:38 PM   #40
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Actually I'm not scared of dying. A bit worried about dying a painful death but not scared.

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead