Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-13-2003, 05:40 PM   #21
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

when there's a painting or something from whenever that time period was when flab was fashionable... and it shows nude women that happen not to be as anorexic as britney spears... i hate it when people are like "EEEE CHUBBY WOMEN! HAHAHAHA LOOK THEYRE ALL GROSS!" I'm like, give me a break. A lot of people aren't mature enough to handle nude depictions, or sexual depictions. I think they're really beautiful... other people start giggling or think it's weird. When drawing, I always draw a figure first, so i can figure out how to drape the clothes and how they would form around the figure. I mean, the people aren't nude... they could be wearing tight body suits for all you know... but everyone's like "LIZ DRAWS NAKED PEOPLE!!!" geeshsh
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:04 PM   #22
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yeah. People are immature.

Nudity is not a good idea if it's winter in Michigan. It would be very cold.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:25 PM   #23
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I was actually thinking along the lines of nudity in art and cinema (and would like to thank sween), but as long as it stays (relatively) clean.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:28 PM   #24
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
When drawing, I always draw a figure first, so i can figure out how to drape the clothes and how they would form around the figure. I mean, the people aren't nude... they could be wearing tight body suits for all you know... but everyone's like "LIZ DRAWS NAKED PEOPLE!!!" geeshsh
wow, that always happens to me too! Well it used to in high school. I was always drawing figures first too, people would be all 'lemme see' and then practically everyone said 'ooooh naked' or 'eeek their nekkid' lol I thought it was just my school. I guess not..
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:29 PM   #25
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

I once drew mermaids... the real kind, with tits... I put it on my art webpage and got lots of comments and everyone thought i was a pervy lesbian
Old 04-13-2003, 07:45 PM   #26
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Ugh...I hate that word...the T-word. LoL.

I agree. I'm a junior, but I'm taking Art 1, a freshman class (I didn't have space in my schedule to take it until now), and some kid who thinks he's "all that and boom shock a lock a" came up to me and said "I don't understand why all those Renaissance guys liked to paint naked people. Pervs!" I gave him a quick talking to about his immaturity.

I drew nude mermaids in sixth grade and was afraid to show them to my friends. Still have them somewhere.

Nudity can be tasteful. I love Renaissance art.
Old 04-13-2003, 09:51 PM   #27
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
Nudity is not a good idea if it's winter in Michigan. It would be very cold.
Same thing in Maine!

Anyways, I'm not exactly an artist, but I can see why someone would draw a nude person: To show the beauty of someone's body. It's not gross, it's just a person! People are so immature. I too enjoy Renaissance art, though I haven't seen much. Only what's at the Art Museum (very fun place to visit).
Old 04-13-2003, 10:25 PM   #28
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

I'm an artist, and I'll say figure drawing isn't easy but I'm currently doing a nude drawing from life of a male statue. Its for college portfolio and i'm doing it on grey pastel paper with white conte only (which isn't easy rendering value from just white conte and the grey paper being your darkest tone.) Although its just a statue of a nude male and not an actual person standing there, I don't have a problem with it. I think I would feel more comfortable or it would feel less awkward painting someone nude of the opposite sex.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-13-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:30 PM   #29
Gwaimir Windgem

You don't have a problem with it, yet you think it would be less awkward...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-13-2003, 10:31 PM   #30
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Maybe he thinks it's a bit awkward, but isn't bothered by the awkwardness.....
Old 04-13-2003, 10:49 PM   #31
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
You don't have a problem with it, yet you think it would be less awkward...
Man, you sure like to try and contradict everyone and anyone when you get the chance. ... I don't have a problem with looking at nude paintings like a rennaisance painting. By that I mean I wouldn't say "Eeeeeeeeew, he/she is naked." if I saw a nude painting. If I had to draw from a life a nude person, I said I would feel less awkward drawing a female. For all you know that could just be my personal preference. I'm not saying that if I was in a college class and the model was a male, that I wouldn't draw him. I would draw the male. But my point from my original post was if I saw a nude painting I wouldn't say "Ewww" ... because I don't have a problem with it. However, perhaps my preference is towards nude females and not males could have an impact on why I would feel less awkward. The reason it would feel less awkward drawing a female nude (if i had a choice) is because as a male i'm attracted to females. If I had to draw a nude male I would feel less comfortable doing so but I wouldn't let it bother me completing the painting.

Last edited by Ragnarok : 04-13-2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:57 PM   #32
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Agalayth
Maybe he thinks it's a bit awkward, but isn't bothered by the awkwardness.....

Thank you for explaining that to him That is what I meant.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #33
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I can't draw very well, but there's this one picture that I made my art teacher show me how to draw...it's of Ginny Weasley (from the Harry Potter books ) sitting with a towel around her waist, leaning on one arm, with the other one holding her hair up. It's from the back, and it's incredible. I think I really like this one because I'm obsessed with people's backs. My friend did some photography of her ex-girlfriend nude once, and I still have some of those pictures. The human body is a beautiful thing, and I'm kind of ashamed that the American culture doesn't seem to realize that.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:33 PM   #34
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
My friend did some photography of her ex-girlfriend
His or her ex-girlfriend. Just looking for clarification.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:37 PM   #35
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok
Man, you sure like to try and contradict everyone and anyone when you get the chance. ...
Huh...well excuse for not understanding what you were saying. I'll try to not be so stupid in the future.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-14-2003, 12:41 AM   #36
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I just want to say all good things happen in the nude

Nudity Rules!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:09 AM   #37
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nudity historically is more taboo in America since it was founded mostly by very religious societies escaping from European persecution. People may think that after 400 years that the pilgrim attitude would have diminished - and in some ways it has - but it is still a part of American society and morals. The US still has the Amish, the Mormons and there are still even cities and counties where a person can't buy alcohol - including in NJ - because of religious beliefs. The two towns in NJ were founded by New England religious societies back in the 1800's and it's in their charter that no alchohol can be sold - the two shore towns are currently in the process of trying to get it changed though.

As for using nudes in paintings - Tater went to a high school in Massachusetts where they had nude models come in to pose for his art class (male and female). Not everywhere in the US is nudity taboo. In NJ there is also a nude beach in Sandy Hook.

As far as movies are concerned - I think that an example of gratuitous "nudity" was demonstrated in Two Towers with Arwen in the see through "nightgown" thing. Jackson - did a close up of her necklace for one reason - to have a "breast" shot. There has to be a reason for the nudity in a movie. Sometimes there are valid reasons - but other times it's just for the sake of nudity.

In Ohio a couple of years ago they had the Statue of David on display (or a similar one) and they had to cover up with a fig leaf. In NY - anything goes with art. In NY they photograph nude models on the streets of Manhattan with everyone around.

You will see a different attitude toward nudity throughout America - but generally it's more of a taboo than in Europe. But Europe has Rome as their history and it's no secret what Rome was like. It makes Las Vegas look like a convent.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:22 AM   #38
Baby-K
Corruptor

Mmmmmmmm, finally a topic that makes sense!

I can't speak for the South African public as a whole, as I believe that nudity & one's acceptance thereof is a very personal thing.

However, I can give you an idea how I feel about it.........

I believe in a sense that we impose our own insecurities on other people & that in many cases is why people are opposed to nudity in films etc (this is especially the case with women as we might feel we are fat, don't have big enough / small enough breasts, thighs are too big, stomach not flat or whatever and face it, in the movie industry you need to be 'perfect' to make it, so when a woman already has doubts about her own body, she doesn't want to be confronted by a 'perfect' specimen on the big screen after she has paid good money to see a film - and hearing her husband / boyfriend loudly proclaim the magnificence of the actress is enough to make any woman want to hurl). I suppose it might work the same for men, but I cannot say as I'm a woman & do not want to make any false suppositions.

I have absolutely no problem with nudity in film, art or any other form, but the 'nudity' must suit the market (for instance you cannot have nude scenes in children's movies - not because I think it is wrong for the kids to see naked people, but because I feel they might not understand the significance of having nude scenes).

Although nudity to a large extent has become about sex it does not necessarily hold true that sex is ALL hat you think about when you see someone naked. I am a naturist myself (most people call us nudists), this does not mean that I walk around naked all the time, but we have a break-away place were we (a group of us) go for weekends & holidays. We are a mixed group with people of all ages (ranging from 11 years to about 58) from all walks of life - school kids, professionals (including psycologists, engineers & accountants) and even retired people. When we are there we all stay in our own houses, but we often get together for walks (it's a private game reserve) or braais (barbeques) or even parties. When we get together, believe me there is nothing sexual about it, we are simply celebrating life in the most natural way possible (besides it's too hot to wear clothes) After a while you don't even realise peole aren't wearing clothes, it's just a natural thing for us.

Last edited by Baby-K : 04-14-2003 at 06:29 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:43 AM   #39
Millane
The Dude

just curious i got 2 questions
are they people you know or just strangers with a common love for going nude? coz i wouldnt be comfortable being nude with strangers but im sure there many cases were friends have seen me nude and.....
do you get confined to a nudy area coz i would think that if i went out and had a barbie nude then the people next door would have a whinge and call the police (after they had a good perv mind i know im immature)
nudity is overrated my friend had a whinge the other night coz i had just got out of the shower and they rang and i couldnt really be bothered putting clothes on... whinge whinge ill ring you back later beep beep beep
Old 04-14-2003, 06:56 AM   #40
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
are they people you know or just strangers with a common love for going nude?
Both (people I know & strangers). I used to go with the ex - that was the only 'sexual' nudity (some beautiful places to get romantic ), but I understand what you mean about not feeling comfortable getting naked in front of some people - I would never have in front of the ex's friends 'cos I know what pervs they are, but I had no problem being naked in front of his family (they are also naturists)

Quote:
do you get confined to a nudy area coz i would think that if i went out and had a barbie nude then the people next door would have a whinge and call the police
We stay on the reserve (it's very big, so we don't really have to go away from it unless we go into town for some shopping & then, fo the sake of public propiety we keep our clothes on - until we get back to the gate of the reserve )

Last edited by Baby-K : 04-14-2003 at 06:58 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote