Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2003, 07:41 AM   #21
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Yes, but sometimes people forget to draw the line between national pride and overwhelming national dedication. Remember, a sense of "our country is the best" superiority was one of the primary causes for the rise (and election) of fascist leaders.

In this continually globalizing world, I would say nationalism and patriotism are really becoming things of the past. It's one thing to think of one's own culture as really great, but there are limits to this.

Certainly, crickhollow, the approach you take to it - the personal feeling that there's no place like home - is totally legitimate and harmless. But a lot of people extend the concept of patriotism leaps and bounds beyond that, and that's when it becomes dangerous.
Just a note on my point of getting behind the troops a lot of the MP (members of parliment) seem to want this line your not patrioric if you dont support your troops. Now i want all our troops to have a quick and safe return but i dont support nessarily what they are doing.

I agree with you that patriotism is in some ways becomming a thing of the past but this is more to do with intergaration rather than globlization i know that many of the muslims in this country are still very loyal to there own countries and there faith. I know during vietnam that black americans were very opposed to been called up as they drew a distinction between the country which they lived in and there own belifes. I can see that what is considered to be english patraiotism is going to have to change (the birth rates of all colours of skin is now pretty equal).
Old 03-24-2003, 10:42 AM   #22
Elvellon
Elf Lord

In relation with the original post:

Patriotism can be both a positive and a negative force. It is true that dictators often use nationalistic rhetoric to keep their people motivated and unquestioning, that is a well-known fact. On the other hand patriotism can be simply the expression of one’s love for one’s country and nation, and not reflect a sense of superiority but simply one of uniqueness.

So, that said, should one avoid criticizing a war when one doesn’t believe the reasons behind it?

Personally, I think a delicate balance must be reach here. Those fighting in the name of one’s country deserve respect for what they are doing, even if we perceive the war they are fighting as unjust and unnecessary, after all, they are putting their lives on the line for one’s country there. But, sacrificing one’s beliefs, one’s sense of right and wrong is also unacceptable. So, in my view, it all comes down to good sense; it is up to each one of us to find a middle term were our sense of justice and of respect for those fighting and dying can coexist. This is a personal endeavour, and not all will agree with our personal solution, but the important thing is, that we try to find it anyway. Doing less then that is disrespecting what our forefathers in our respective countries fought, and died for; they have sacrificed themselves so that today we would be citizens of our nations, and not servants of an oppressive regime, that implies also the responsibility of exercising fully our citizenship, including taking our own decisions, when it would be much more comfortable to simply accept what others want us to do.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:25 PM   #23
Ornelírë Mistë
Elven Warrior

My response, to the original question:

In the Iraq situation: The U.S. didnt decide to go to war, the people in Washington did. Being patriotic is not necessarily siding with your gov't, but your country and what's best for it. I am a U.S. citizen, and I do not think this war in Iraq will be in any way beneficial, yet I do not feel I am unpatriotic. I feel powerless in my government.

What sense in borders and nations and patriotism?--- Maude, from Harold and Maude
Ornelírë Mistë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:14 PM   #24
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Just want to point out that I think around 65% of Americans support the war.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:19 PM   #25
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by OrnelÃ*rë Mistë
My response, to the original question:

In the Iraq situation: The U.S. didnt decide to go to war, the people in Washington did. Being patriotic is not necessarily siding with your gov't, but your country and what's best for it. I am a U.S. citizen, and I do not think this war in Iraq will be in any way beneficial, yet I do not feel I am unpatriotic. I feel powerless in my government.

What sense in borders and nations and patriotism?--- Maude, from Harold and Maude
The U.S. didn't, but people in Washington did? Ummm, last poll shows 72% of Americans support this war, so I'd say your statement might be true for you, but it isn't true for the U.S.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:23 PM   #26
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Looks like another thread doomed to closure (taking SGH's warning in the "presidents address" thread ....can't say I blame her really.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:26 PM   #27
Gwaimir Windgem

I didn't notice anything rude...This seems like a considerably more intelligent discussion than the ones I saw closed.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-02-2003, 11:29 PM   #28
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
I didn't notice anything rude...This seems like a considerably more intelligent discussion than the ones I saw closed.
Nah, it's her warning about degenerating other threads off-topic into Iraq. This thread isn't supposed to be about the war.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:30 PM   #29
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Nope, nothing rude........the Iraq discussion is supposed to be contained to one thread now......or all such discussion is banned *shrugs*

Beatallica
Old 04-02-2003, 11:31 PM   #30
Gwaimir Windgem

O....forgot about that.

But that was just a little, um, correctional sidetrack, yes, that's it. We're all done now. No need to shoot us, SGH. No, no, NO! -BLAM!- -falls limp to the floor-

So sad.

Hmm, what's wrong with my brain tonight?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-02-2003, 11:36 PM   #31
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Right. No discussion Iraq outside the President's Address thread. Otherwise SGH might have to come in with her admin stick of wrath.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 11:39 PM   #32
Gwaimir Windgem

She already used her admin BAZOOKA of wrath.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-02-2003, 11:40 PM   #33
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Right. No discussion Iraq outside the President's Address thread. Otherwise SGH might have to come in with her admin stick of wrath.
off like the last bunny at the greyhound track

------------------------------------------------------------>>>>>

Beatallica
Old 04-03-2003, 04:51 AM   #34
Baby-K
Corruptor

Quote:
O....forgot about that.

But that was just a little, um, correctional sidetrack, yes, that's it. We're all done now. No need to shoot us, SGH. No, no, NO! -BLAM!- -falls limp to the floor-

So sad.

Hmm, what's wrong with my brain tonight?
What do you mean tonight ?
Old 04-03-2003, 09:59 AM   #35
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yay. I like this thread. See my sig.
Yeah . . . patriotism to me is general thankfulness that I'm not living in a shack somewhere starving. Patriotism to me is thankfulness that I'm not in Iraq or something. The ol' red-white-and-blue gets a vague amount of love from my direction. But I went and fell in love with Ireland, so my plans consist of moving. Soon.
But, y'know, I really don't think patriotism has anything to do with agreeing with your leaders. (especially when one's leader is a plant. A shrub.) Or backing your army (although I think the troops out there trying not to get themselves killed would probably appreciate our support, hmm?)

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka

Last edited by Laurelyn : 04-03-2003 at 10:01 AM.
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #36
Huan
Elven Warrior

This post is guranteed to offend someone. I personally chafe at the word patriotism whenever I hear it, for it is one of those code words used as a short cut to having to think too deeply about a subject, and one used by leaders to hide what they're really saying. Further, the word derives from Latin, literally loyalty to the patria, the fatherland (what historical regime of this century was heavy into talk of the fatherland?). I find it a very imperialistic, anti-individual word.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:47 PM   #37
sun-star
Lady of Letters

When patriotism means someone liking/loving their country, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Somehow it seems to come naturally to people, although it's utterly irrational The problem comes when you go on to believing your country is the best possible, and can therefore do what it likes - because that's just stupid. No country (or culture) is inherently better than any other, is it?

Also, I can understand loving your country, but I don't quite understand being proud of it. Doesn't pride imply it's something you have a hand in? I mean, I love Britain, but I don't credit myself with its history or the fact that it's a nice place to live
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:49 PM   #38
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Oh, don't worry, I'm watching all of you.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 02:52 PM   #39
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Oh, don't worry, I'm watching all of you.
lucky us
Old 04-03-2003, 03:06 PM   #40
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
lucky us
You're such a nice guy Sween.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote