Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2003, 01:52 PM   #21
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
And my picture of the average Tolkien fan is now becoming a quiet bookish girl who likes horses and nature and is passionate about her Tolkien books. And the age range seems to be 13-aging hippie.
Well thanks. That describes me exactly (isn't that ironic, don't you think), lol
Old 04-11-2003, 03:48 PM   #22
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Heres this thread! Ive been looking for this. And yes quite ironic Lalaith The Black Sheep. Although I dont remember you saying anything about horses before....

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #23
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I guess we're finding all the 13 year old horse-tolkien-bookish types

I'm female and the 'moot is the only place I find Tolkien fans! Isn't that crazy? No one I know likes Tolkien. They think he's wierd or aren't in to fantasy. There is one girl down the street who likes Tolkien but mostly the movies.

Of course where I live I have a reputation as a book person and a freak so I don't have to worry about tarnishing my rep by reading LOTR etc.

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 05:03 AM   #24
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm female, a teenager (probably a better guess for typical age than 13) and obviously bookish. I never read fantasy apart from Tolkien though, and most of the fantasy fans I've met are male. Sort of like the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 05:53 AM   #25
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Heres this thread! Ive been looking for this. And yes quite ironic Lalaith The Black Sheep. Although I dont remember you saying anything about horses before....
And guess what, me the Black Sheep, isn't a girlie anymore. Today is the day. hahaha
Now I'm an andult Black Sheep. Hihihi. And I'm not fond of horses.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:19 PM   #26
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Happy birthday, Lalaith!

I had been meaning to post in this thread before.

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
And my picture of the average Tolkien fan is now becoming a quiet bookish girl who likes horses and nature and is passionate about her Tolkien books. And the age range seems to be 13-aging hippie.
I pretty much fit this.
quiet...at times
bookish...yes
girl...yes
horses...sure why not
nature...yes
13...yes

Oh joy, I'm a stereotype.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:11 AM   #27
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Happy birthday, Lalaith!
Thanks.

Quote:
Old 04-13-2003, 09:38 AM   #28
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Re: The Tolkien Fan: male or female

Quote:
...And my picture of the average Tolkien fan is now becoming a quiet bookish girl who likes horses and nature and is passionate about her Tolkien books. And the age range seems to be 13-aging hippie. So am I just over generalizing here or are there really significantly more pure Tolkien fans that are female then male now?
Funny. Your description reminds me strongly of ... me. Quiet...most of the time. Bookish...They call me the Bookworm. Horses...yep, for better or for worse, I suppose. Passionate about her Tolkien books...I threatened to burn Jen's copy of Harry Potter & TSS if she insulted Tolkien again. I was going to follow through on it, but she stopped bringing 'em to school. Age: 13. Yep, you've got me covered.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 12:34 PM   #29
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
I pretty much fit this.
quiet...at times
bookish...yes
girl...yes
horses...sure why not
nature...yes
13...yes

See! Now dont you feel special Elvellyn! Uh wait....

Old 04-13-2003, 05:11 PM   #30
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

He has changed his title ... finally!

Sorry, off-topic!
Old 04-13-2003, 05:20 PM   #31
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Re: The Tolkien Fan: male or female

Quote:
quiet- yes, but only cuz i'm antisocial and am not interested in talking to most people

bookish- No, I hate to read lately... used to be moderately bookish. If I get involved enough in a book, I can read it in a day without eating or sleeping. Tolkien's books are somewhat harder to get involved in for me.

likes horses- THINGS WITH RECTANGULAR BAR PUPILS SCARE ME! things with hooves have rectangular pupils. Me and horses don't mix anyways.

nature- well I would like to become emotionally attatched to nature, however, there isn't enough nature in my neighborhood lol I would love to spend some time in a woods becoming acquainted with the trees though. I'm sure they're better company than most humans.

I'm probably not a typical tolkien fan, but I'm not a typical anything. People think I'm gothic , but if you crammed me in that little genre, I wouldn't be a typical goth at all.

Insidious, do you think I'm the typical tolkien fan?
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:33 PM   #32
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Re: Re: The Tolkien Fan: male or female

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol

Insidious, do you think I'm the typical tolkien fan?
Sminty yer not the typical anything. but thats what i like about you hun. by the way yer asocial not antisocial. well that thing about hitting people with sticks was antisocial but overall yer asocial. keep it up.

Old 04-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #33
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Re: Re: Re: The Tolkien Fan: male or female

Quote:
Sminty yer not the typical anything. but thats what i like about you hun. by the way yer asocial not antisocial. well that thing about hitting people with sticks was antisocial but overall yer asocial. keep it up.
"hun"? I didn't think upstaters were allowed to say "hun".

Well, I thought about it, and I'm not everybody's stereotypical Tolkien fan; just IR's. That makes me feel a little better.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:53 PM   #34
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

lol yeah... i imagine different types of people have different stereotypes of tolkien fans. Most of them (the outsiders... people who aren't tolkien fans) seem to consider us "geeks" or something (well, not like thats a bad thing!). But since the movies, it seems like a lot of people associate tolkien with gothic ness. I know a lot of tolkien fans who are goths, and a LOT of goths who are fans of lotr (esp the movies).
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 08:49 PM   #35
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Re: Re: The Tolkien Fan: male or female

Quote:
Originally posted by Elenka
Funny. Your description reminds me strongly of ... me. Quiet...most of the time. Bookish...They call me the Bookworm. Horses...yep, for better or for worse, I suppose. Passionate about her Tolkien books...I threatened to burn Jen's copy of Harry Potter & TSS if she insulted Tolkien again. I was going to follow through on it, but she stopped bringing 'em to school. Age: 13. Yep, you've got me covered.
Elenka you are the typical Tolkien fan but you definitely have an edge hun. Maybe yer the typical Tolkien fan with enough angst for 8 people.

Old 04-13-2003, 08:55 PM   #36
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Tolkien Fan: male or female

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellyn
"hun"? I didn't think upstaters were allowed to say "hun".

Well, I thought about it, and I'm not everybody's stereotypical Tolkien fan; just IR's. That makes me feel a little better.
hey I hunned elenka too so there. And Im glad it makes you feel better that you aspire to be my image of the ultimate Tolkien fan.

Old 04-14-2003, 01:28 AM   #37
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
For my part (and I am female, btw, for those of you who are still confused), I love Tolkien not because it is Fantasy, but because it is great literature. I'm not into Rpgs, or Starwars--I love Dickens, Macdonald, Lewis, and Austin. So I guess I fit your classification, markedel.
Exactly my feelings! (pass that Austen over here!) (and be sure and get to Dickens' Bleak House this year, crick!) But Tolkien affects me in a much deeper way than those other wonderful authors.

BTW, I was once 13, and I still am female, bookish, quiet, and love horses! Nature is beautiful, but I"m definitely NOT a PETA/Greenpeace type.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 01:44 AM   #38
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I haven't read any Dickens or George Macdonald besides Lilith, I think. I enjoyed Lilith. Is "At the Back of the North Wind" by George Macdonald as well?

As for Jane Austin and C.S. Lewis, I really like their writing . I've only read "Northanger Abbey" by Jane Austin, but I've seen many of the movie adaptations of her works and enjoyed them a lot. C.S. Lewis I primarily admire for his theology books, but I also enjoyed the Narnia series . Perhaps they weren't quite as advanced in terms of writing style as would have given me more full enjoyment of them, but I liked them all the same.

Meanwhile . . . Star Wars and RPGs rule!

Can't agree with you two there . On Star Wars, there's probably no hope for you, but with RPGs, I think it's doubtful that any of you have played any really, really good RPGs before. They can be really enjoyable, though me and several of my friends in the RPG forum have specific tastes in RPGs that we tend to taylor our RPGs to satisfy.

Fantasy, like RPGs, has a lot of them which aren't so splendid. I tend to go for specific authors, and after reading all of their books I just be sad .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #39
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
[i]BTW, I was once 13, and I still am female, bookish, quiet, and love horses! Nature is beautiful, but I"m definitely NOT a PETA/Greenpeace type.
well thats close enough. so theres not even a little bit of hippie in you at all RÃ*an?

Old 04-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #40
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

What's the stereotype of a male reader?