Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2003, 09:32 AM   #21
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Do I count as a newbie?
I only joined in November.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #22
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackboar
Do I count as a newbie?
I only joined in November.
No way. You have quickly established yourself as an actual member and part of the community, so you're definetely not a newbie anymore. And you're not such a bad fangirl either.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:44 AM   #23
Blackboar

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Elenka
No way. You have quickly established yourself as an actual member and part of the community, so you're definetely not a newbie anymore. And you're not such a bad fangirl either.
Aww! Thanks Elenka!
Old 02-22-2003, 11:06 AM   #24
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Please shrink "My Chat Room" down to normal size! I can read.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:15 AM   #25
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

"Newbies
how do you feel about them?"

Most of them a tender and juicy, but some require a good soak in amrinade and tenderizer before you barbeque them.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:20 AM   #26
Elf Girl
Lurker

Usually I'm glad when this board gains more members, but sometimes I long for the dayse when I could name every regular, and we all knew each other. *sigh* Some of those regulars can sympathize with me, I'm sure.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:23 AM   #27
Blackboar

This small enough Lizra?

I still think myself as a newbie, no as I think I am one, There great!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:21 PM   #28
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Well there are over 2000 members (incredible IMHO) so it's not as tight as it was-and when I joined Entmoot wasn't small at all.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:14 PM   #29
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Usually I'm glad when this board gains more members, but sometimes I long for the dayse when I could name every regular, and we all knew each other. *sigh* Some of those regulars can sympathize with me, I'm sure.
No kidding. I miss that too.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #30
Blackboar

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
I wish I was there then, knowing everyone and everything!
Old 02-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #31
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Well you all are newbies
Aha! So....what do you think of "newbies" then?

It's better Blackboar......thank you.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #32
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Laurelyn
I can't remember that. Oh, well, probably because I didn't post a lot than. (I didn't know that there is General Messeges than...) I think I had 20 posts in my first month. Still, I didn't care.

I think that newbies are necessary in every forum, but there are some annoying newbies... I guess that there are some annoying newbies in every forum. (not just newbies. Old people too.)
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #33
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
*sigh* A lot of us who were there then are still posting but it isn't the same with all these nasty newbies, no precious, we hates them forever...

*cough* Yes, as I was saying, newbies are an incridibly valuable addition to this board.

[offtopic] Laurelyn, speaking of the "old days", why aren't you in Return of TLA? You started the original thread, we'd be glad if you'd post... *hint hint*[/offtopic]
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:01 PM   #34
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its interesting how this thread parallels almost exactly the political arguments you hear about immigration in many countries.

old mooter: god i miss the good old days when everyone here was alike and we all knew each other and there were none of these new annoying people taking up all the bandwidth with meaningless strange chatter and mispellings.

mooter who has been here less then a thousand years but is still trying to fit in: oh... uh was I here then? *post ignored by old mooter*

moderator: hey well we need new blood to keep things vital here. we can all interact together, new and old.

new mooter: yeah. i like this place. doesnt this place like me?

old mooter You are ok as long as you dont say anything annoying, make six threads about the same thing all in the wrong forum, or make a better argument then any of the old mooters. Or EVEN interrupt.....

new fangirl mooter: HI! WHO LIKES ORLI!! DID YOU KNOW I LIKE ORLI!! I THINK I SHOULD START A THREAD ABOUT ORLI!
*six or seven of her classmates instintly respond in kind*

But enough comedy. As someone who has only been here a month and a half I consider myself extremely new as I have been in places where I spent years as a regular and there were others still more senior to me. So every time I post (like here for example) I wonder hmmm Ive seen the attitude of some of the old mooters I wonder if this will just annoy them cause Im new? But I post it anyway because I dont really care. But I worry that there are others like me who arent quite as intrusive and disrespectful as me (in a good way of course ). And they hold back their posts because they fear the reaction they will get as a "newbie". And eventually they wonder off and figure "this place isnt for me. They dont like new people here" which would be a shame because hey they could become a decent contributing member. So when I see someone make a useless post in a thread and theyve only been here 2 days I think eh thats ok let them post thats the important thing. At least they arent afraid to. And hopefully over time they will evolve into a decent contirbuting member because that will only add to the whole community. Even in my short time here I have seen some younger members do that and I think thats really cool that they now jump right in there in the Iraq arguments and the Religion threads and give us their own thoughts. Thats progress. Thats what we want I would think. Not a shrinking community of elitist posters who talk intellectually and a growing community of fangirls or 3 word posters who make their own threads and the two never mix. Thats sad.

All that being said though.... I still miss Coney. And I hope he didnt leave just because he felt a new population was taking over and there was no place for him now. Kind of like an elf. And hopefully we wont lose any others for that same reason. Turn over happens and change is inevitable but I hope we can all roll with it and make it work for the best.

old mooter: shut up Insidious. Stop making speeches. You havent been here long enough to be taken seriously.

sorry!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #35
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Its interesting how this thread parallels almost exactly the political arguments you hear about immigration in many countries.

old mooter: god i miss the good old days when everyone here was alike and we all knew each other and there were none of these new annoying people taking up all the bandwidth with meaningless strange chatter and mispellings.

mooter who has been here less then a thousand years but is still trying to fit in: oh... uh was I here then? *post ignored by old mooter*

moderator: hey well we need new blood to keep things vital here. we can all interact together, new and old.

new mooter: yeah. i like this place. doesnt this place like me?

old mooter You are ok as long as you dont say anything annoying, make six threads about the same thing all in the wrong forum, or make a better argument then any of the old mooters. Or EVEN interrupt.....

new fangirl mooter: HI! WHO LIKES ORLI!! DID YOU KNOW I LIKE ORLI!! I THINK I SHOULD START A THREAD ABOUT ORLI!
*six or seven of her classmates instintly respond in kind*

But enough comedy. As someone who has only been here a month and a half I consider myself extremely new as I have been in places where I spent years as a regular and there were others still more senior to me. So every time I post (like here for example) I wonder hmmm Ive seen the attitude of some of the old mooters I wonder if this will just annoy them cause Im new? But I post it anyway because I dont really care. But I worry that there are others like me who arent quite as intrusive and disrespectful as me (in a good way of course ). And they hold back their posts because they fear the reaction they will get as a "newbie". And eventually they wonder off and figure "this place isnt for me. They dont like new people here" which would be a shame because hey they could become a decent contributing member. So when I see someone make a useless post in a thread and theyve only been here 2 days I think eh thats ok let them post thats the important thing. At least they arent afraid to. And hopefully over time they will evolve into a decent contirbuting member because that will only add to the whole community. Even in my short time here I have seen some younger members do that and I think thats really cool that they now jump right in there in the Iraq arguments and the Religion threads and give us their own thoughts. Thats progress. Thats what we want I would think. Not a shrinking community of elitist posters who talk intellectually and a growing community of fangirls or 3 word posters who make their own threads and the two never mix. Thats sad.

All that being said though.... I still miss Coney. And I hope he didnt leave just because he felt a new population was taking over and there was no place for him now. Kind of like an elf. And hopefully we wont lose any others for that same reason. Turn over happens and change is inevitable but I hope we can all roll with it and make it work for the best.

old mooter: shut up Insidious. Stop making speeches. You havent been here long enough to be taken seriously.

sorry!
Well, it needed to be said

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:37 PM   #36
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

hey you! come back here!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:48 PM   #37
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
^^^Very well put IR

I think newbies can be of 2 extremes. One extreme is the newbies who just spam i swear just to annoy us. The other are thoses who get stuck in straght away and have 500 posts within a month. Both can be annoying, however those who get stuck in can also be very useful contributors.
Also entmoot is increasing its age range. To keep this going we need to let newbies come, express their views, keep them interested, welcome them,, make them spread the word.
When i came to the 'moot i was welcomed and did take a while to start off. But regulars welcomed me helped me along and became friends with me. As i stayed here longer i helped more newbies and as in blackboars case they beat me in post in a bout 2 months. But i didnt care because they were fun to talk to, contributed wisely and didnt spam.
Overall i think newbies are great if they dont spam and contribute wisely.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??

Last edited by Hanza : 02-22-2003 at 07:55 PM.
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:59 PM   #38
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
hey you! come back here!
Still here

*Glances up at thread topic*

Newbies?

I remember when I was a newbie (1st joined as Osszie).

I was back-chatted, ignored, dismissed and even had derogatory comments made at me

But, I was stubborn

Do I like newbies? Of course I do! I love the fact that there is someone new to chat with practically every day

Newbies have their faults (sometimes) sure, look how many folks have posted absolutely anything until they reach 100/500 posts but once they reach their "goal" they usually go away (why they can't just spend a couple of days in the "Anything" thread like I did is a mystery to me).

But without new victims........erm, posters, where would the moot be?.........same old faces having the same old convo's (trust me, for the last couple of day's I've been on such a board....it was like trying to break through a nun's chasitity belt )

So come on newbies.........get to know us. Be intelligent, enlightening, friendly..........failing that at least give us something to laugh at

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:03 PM   #39
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
coney i thought you left. but i guess not

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:06 PM   #40
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit