Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #21
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I thought that Smeagol would have looked different but he sounds the same as I thought.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:23 PM   #22
azalea
Long lost mooter

As this is really tending to be about Gollum in the movie, I'm moving it to the movies forum.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #23
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I agree with Elf Girl; He was corrupt long before the Ring-making ever began, and the chief lieutenant of Morgoth, I believe.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:46 PM   #24
straight_face
Enting

Strider Gollum/Smeagol

You've got to remember all that has happened to Gollum to make him the way that he is. He can't help being an evil imp, can he?
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:47 PM   #25
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I never ever felt pity for Gollum in the books -- and I've read the books countless times over the years.

But when I actually saw Gollum for the first time in the movie theatre, I really did view the character in a whole new light.

After seeing the movie on opening night, I said to my daughter, "you know, I'm just like Frodo---now that I've seen him, I do pity him."
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:16 PM   #26
Gwaimir Windgem

straight_face; I wouldn't call Gollum evil; pitiful, wretched, and wicked, yes, but not evil.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 02-05-2003, 12:12 AM   #27
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Gollum

I loved and hated book Gollum, and movie Gollum moved me just as much. This says a lot, since I felt Gollum was a very powerful character.

I loved Gollum when I pitied him and wanted Smeagol to come out on top.

Hated him when he pissed off Sam, my favourite character!

Go Sam!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #28
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

I felt so sorry of Smeagol because Golllum was always telling him want he should do and Gollum is not evil he is just like that because of the way he has lived his live.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:35 PM   #29
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

Kiwi is saying that I'm Gollum and that she is Smeagol. She is so wrong!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 09:04 PM   #30
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Not sure if anyone noticed, but I was watching my copy of TTT before, yes I have a copy , and I paid close attention to the Gollum/Smeagol scenes. If you notice, the only times you see his eyes bright blue, it is when he is Smeagol. When he is Gollum, the brightness goes away in his eyes and you can barely tell they are blue. I just thought it was awesome the way they did that, even though it is a small little feature, it shows Smeagol breaking through the evil Gollum!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 03:45 PM   #31
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

Yea it is amazing how they make Gollum and do all of his movements and stuff like that.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:50 PM   #32
Gwaimir Windgem

But they still forgot the green glow.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-02-2003, 03:52 PM   #33
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

But they still did a good job on Smeagol.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #34
straight_face
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Gollum is strange in the book but even stranger in the movie.
You've been to the Barrow-Downs, haven't you? Great website.
'There was no need. He halted just by us and looked down at us. "Gandalf!" I said at last, but my voice was only a whisper. Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasant surprise!" No, indeed! He said: "Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard? I want him. Quick!"'

'What are we going to do now then?' asked Pippin, undaunted by the wizard's bristling brows.
"Knock on the door with your head, Peregrin Took,' said Gandalf. 'But if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'

'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!'
straight_face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 12:48 PM   #35
L@ur@y Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gollum

Yes I have been on Barrow-Downs it's an ok website.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #36
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

barrow downs is a pretty good site. how long do their themes last there?
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 04:43 PM   #37
azalea
Long lost mooter

Please stay on topic. PMs are great for that kind of thing.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 07:32 PM   #38
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

I love the way that the Gollum/Smeagol split personality thing was played out. I love Smeagol, he's so cute and you pity him. Gollum on the other hand, doesn't evoke one ounce of sympathy out of me.
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Indril Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:04 PM   #39
Fanëar
Hobbit

i loved smeagol and gollum I felt so sorry for him in FotR and I thought he was sooooo cute in TTT too bad he has to go andbite of frodos finger and somehow make sam go blind(?)
~Omentuva~
Fanëar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:19 PM   #40
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Fanëar
i loved smeagol and gollum I felt so sorry for him in FotR and I thought he was sooooo cute in TTT too bad he has to go andbite of frodos finger and somehow make sam go blind(?)
huh? he doesn't make Sam go blind....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote