Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-19-2003, 02:31 AM   #21
Millane
The Dude

yeah i just loved how you see after he falls he just flails down but then he gets the determined look and dives down sword in hadn and canes that balrog.

and if the Balrog did get the ring i think it would keep it for itself... people see him as just a monster and dont really remember that he is a Maiar and that it is just like gandalf except that it has a different form.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:52 AM   #22
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Could you imagine that balrog stomping down to Barad-dur wearing the One Ring and calling Sauron out to play? Whoa!
Old 01-19-2003, 01:27 PM   #23
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by Balrog_of_Morgoth
Could you imagine that balrog stomping down to Barad-dur wearing the One Ring and calling Sauron out to play? Whoa!
haha THAT would be a lovely scene
Old 01-19-2003, 05:01 PM   #24
legolasluvr2931
Hobbit

In the book wasnt the Balrog supposed to become weak in the water and then there be a staircase or something. And before Gandalf fell, why didnt Boromir let Frodo help him? He could have saved him. Oh well.
legolasluvr2931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:20 PM   #25
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by legolasluvr2931
In the book wasnt the Balrog supposed to become weak in the water and then there be a staircase or something. And before Gandalf fell, why didnt Boromir let Frodo help him? He could have saved him. Oh well.
Priority One: Defend the ring bearer at all costs. He didnt want him going into a dangerous situation like that. Even at the expense of Gandolf.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 PM   #26
unregistered
Enting

I thought it was good, but it was in the wrong place... Gandalf did not discuss these events until much later in the book. Also Gandalf did not give that much detail as was portrayed in the movie... I guess they had to do something though to make it look good

I enjoyed it tho

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:43 PM   #27
unregistered
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by legolasluvr2931
Frodo save Gandalf eh?

Not very likely

I'm old Gandalf. I know I don't look it, but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel...thin, sort of...stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.
I need a holiday, a very long holiday, and I don't expect
I shall return. In fact, I mean not to.-Biblo Baggins
unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:48 PM   #28
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Sam Gamgee

i thought it was good..but my practical logical brain (only when it wants to be) realized that gandalf could've never caught up with the balrog acoring to *newtons?* law

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:54 PM   #29
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
i thought it was good..but my practical logical brain (only when it wants to be) realized that gandalf could've never caught up with the balrog acoring to *newtons?* law
Oh but in the fall the Balrog hits the side of the wall, thus slowing his air velocity which enables Gandalf to catch him
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:06 PM   #30
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Sam Gamgee

ahhhhhhhhh

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:01 PM   #31
Noahamir
Hobbit

In reference to an earlier post:

I was reading that chapter a week ago and the Balrog was "a creature of slime" untill he reached the top of the endless stair.

Gandalf said he burst back into flame at the top of the mountain. I am guessing that maybe the mountain winds helped stoke his flames back up.
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:13 PM   #32
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

The opening TTT Balrog scene

Was it just me or did that scene's special effects look even better than in FOTR? I realize that the end of the scene on the bridge was being shown from a different angle than before, which was really cool, but it seemed even better. Especially when Gandalf strikes the bridge with his staff. That white flash seemed much more powerful.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:45 PM   #33
azalea
Long lost mooter

I went ahead and merged the thread you started with the original thread about the Balrog scene in TTT, and we can make this the "official" thread to discuss all aspects of the TT balrog scene. Bringing it to the top...
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:04 AM   #34
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
and we can make this the "official" thread to discuss all aspects of the TT balrog scene
all aspects? Including wings?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-09-2003, 12:10 AM   #35
azalea
Long lost mooter

Uh...sure.. The way they looked, his use of them. If you dare.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:21 AM   #36
Aranwe
Enting

Quote:
Finally, if the balrogs were Maiar, we can assume that each was unique rather than being churned out in a production line, so there's no reason why Durin's Bane couldn't have greater power than other balrogs.
In the Silm. it's not clear whether the Balrogs are Maiar or not... it describes them as spirits, but whether they are of similar power to the Maiar or not isn't said (as far as I remember).

Quote:
The dwarves dug too deep in the mines of Moria and that is when the Balrog awoke, while Durin was the Lord of Moria, hence the Balrog being called "Durin's Bane".
In one of the books (can't remember which, I think it was one of the appendices in RotK) it says that EITHER the hammering of the dwarves or sauron himself had awoken the balrog, but Sauron wanted it either way because he hated the dwarves for not being bent to his will by their rings.

Quote:
Interesting to think "what if the balrog got the ring". I wouldn't think it would necessarily hand it over to Sauron; it might decide that IT was the Lord of the Rings instead!
Well Sauron was originally AT LEAST equal or greater in power to the Balrogs, because he was one of the Maiar and the Balrogs were definately not greater than the Maiar. Even though much of his power was put into the ring and therefore he could be weaker than a Balrog without it, with the ring he would be at his full power again.

Plus, a Balrogs finger is too fat to fit the ring on, so maybe he could never even use it for himself

Last edited by Aranwe : 02-09-2003 at 10:24 AM.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 11:59 AM   #37
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Loved the Balrog fight in TTT, especially the shot when they are falling into the water

Aranwe, doesn't the ring change size depending on its user or something? It would have to grow pretty big to fit on a Balrog hand, but you never know...

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:18 PM   #38
Aranwe
Enting

Never thought of that... I guess it must do, Sauron's finger would be alot bigger than a Hobbit finger, and it fitted perfectly on Frodo's finger.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #39
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

The thing I liked about the TTT Balrog fight was the sound of Gandalf's sword Glamdring as it was falling and then when he keeps pounding it into the Balrog, hehe

--Linaewen
Old 03-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #40
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aranwe
Never thought of that... I guess it must do, Sauron's finger would be alot bigger than a Hobbit finger, and it fitted perfectly on Frodo's finger.
There was a scene in the first movie when Isildur had just picked the Ring up after cutting Sauron's fingers off. When Isildur held the Ring in his hand, you could see how it shrinked.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote