Old 09-17-2000, 07:12 PM   #21
andustar

Re: Favorite heroes of the Sil?

i know that poem by heart

i like finrod and hurin
Old 09-29-2000, 06:14 PM   #22
emilsson

Beren and LuthiƩn. I just love their story .
Old 09-29-2000, 11:33 PM   #23
Finduilas

I prefer the version in the LOTR though, but yes they are 2 other favourites of mine.
Old 09-30-2000, 12:41 AM   #24
SarahStar

Re: Poll: favourite Silmarillion hero?

Quote:
"...In that day Tulkas shall strive with Melko, and on his right shall stand Fionwe and on his left Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, Conqueror of Fate; and it shall be the black sword of Turin that deals unto Melko his death and final end; and so shall the Children of Hurin and all men be avenged.

"...But of Men in that day the prophecy speaks not, save of Turin only, and him it names among the Gods."

(HoME, vol 4, section 19 or something like that)
Need I say more?

(Hey, this is way off topic, but I just noticed that the above passage refers to Turin as "Conqueror of Fate." I know that's basically what "Turambar" means, but usually it's applied a) in defiance (i.e. by Turin) or b) ironically. But I have a hard time imagining Mandos being ironic. Hmmm. Could it be that the epithet is actually used seriously here? And aren't the implications cool? )
Old 10-02-2000, 10:56 AM   #25
Shanamir Duntak

Time to get my old Quenya/Westron dictionnary out...

*Shan tought during a second that this book was on the verge of being destroyed but it still hold itself, but how..?*

*After blowing the dust on it, Shan could read in gold letter: "Great Dictionnary of translation: Quenya/Westron & Sindarin/Westron"

Tur-: power, control over.
-ambar: Destiny, Fate.
Old 10-05-2000, 05:28 PM   #26
Xivigg

However great Turin might be he is still only a mortal and is no match agains't Melkor.
Old 10-05-2000, 07:46 PM   #27
SarahStar

That's precisely what is so cool.

According to the prophecy, Turin would not only be a match for Melkor, he would win! (Ok, I know that Tolkien eventually discarded this particular end of world scenario, but for a good long while at least the idea of Turin Turambar striking the death blow remained intact.)

Along those same lines, one might point out that Frodo the hobbit was never much of a match for Sauron. For that matter, how did Gil-Galad and Elendil defeat Sauron? While certainly quite powerful, neither of them was one of the Maiar!
Old 10-06-2000, 12:53 AM   #28
Finduilas

In the same vein, Fingolfin, no match for a Vala, such as Morgoth, managed to wound him so he limped until he was thrown out of the Circles of the World.
Old 10-06-2000, 11:51 AM   #29
X Rogue

Finrod and Fingolfin. And Melian for the ladies. Didn't Glorfindel manage to actually kill a Balrog? I don't think there are any hard and fast rules against an Elf being able to kill a Maiar, judging by that. Wound them seriously, well that's obvious from Fingolfin battling Morgoth. Shame he got killed in the process, of course.
Must ingest more caffeine, I'm babbling like a brook, here!
Old 10-06-2000, 04:51 PM   #30
Xivigg

Well i know only 2 people who fight agains't Morgoth
Fingolfin the most powerfull Elf-Lord, except maybe Tingol, and Tulkas.

When Fingolfin chalenge Morgoth the elves were losing the battle and it was a desesperate attempte to win the day.

I will point out that Frodon never even see Sauron and only luck destroy the ONE RING. If Golum hasen't fall in the volcano the ringwraith would have arrive and retrive the RING. As say in the lost tale third age Sauron was confident thet even if the Witch King found the ring he will surender it to him.

Gil-Galad and Elendil dosen't win over Sauron they were both kill and the last alliance win only because Isildur sever the RING from Sauron hand.

Again Etchelion and Glorfindel manage to destroy a Balrog each but they were both kill in the process. I read somewere *dosen't remember were* that the Glorfindel in LORE is not the same as the one in the Silmarilion
Old 10-06-2000, 05:30 PM   #31
Finduilas

No go. It's pretty much stated in Peoples Of Middle-Earth that Glorfindel of Gondolin and Glorfindel in the LOTR are one and the same.
Old 10-06-2000, 07:56 PM   #32
emilsson

Finduilas, I disagree, but only a little. I prefer the Silmarillion version. Actually I don't like to compare them since they are a bit too different, IMO .
Old 10-07-2000, 09:34 PM   #33
Morkhon

Actually Isildur severed the ring from Sauron's dead body. Gil-galad and Elendil died fighting Sauron, but Sauron was killed in the process. You have to remember that Gil-galad was a high elf and that Elendil was a powerful lord of men from Numenor.
Old 10-10-2000, 04:39 PM   #34
Xivigg

Humm i have to read the book again
i have alway's though that sauron lose because he had the ring severed from him.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:01 AM   #35
Elanor

Luthien
Old 10-14-2000, 01:52 PM   #36
Lothwen

Re. Favorite Heroes of the Sil?

Hail All,

My favorite are Beren and Luthien.

2nd Fingolfin, Tuor and Hurin.

3rd Galadriel and Glorfindel.

4th Fingol and Finrod

Fare ye well and Good luck friends
Old 01-05-2001, 03:49 AM   #37
Sephiroth9611

Re: Re. Favorite Heroes of the Sil?

On the Turin subject, just because his victory over Morgoth at the final battle isn't mentioned in the Silmarillion doesn't mean that Tolkien had discarded it. The Silmarillion was due for a major revision when its author died.

One of my favorite heros is Tuor. His story and that of Gondolin are the ones I most enjoy reading. Second to that is Turin.

The point made earlier that Feanor isn't really a hero is correct. However, he is the most intriguing character. He was the greatest of the Noldor, yet his pride led to their destruction; yet his hatred of Morgoth was the greatest of all.
Old 01-05-2001, 05:30 PM   #38
X Rogue

Re: Re. Favorite Heroes of the Sil?

Feanor was always very interesting to me. He was my favorite semi/anti-hero in the Silmarillion. Brilliant and determined, posessed by his own abilities, but the downfall of the Noldor, and of everything he loved. My favorite anti-heroes in LOTR were Denethor, Boromir and Lobelia Sackville Baggins, but that is a whole other thread.
Old 01-06-2001, 07:46 AM   #39
Lief Erikson

Favorite characters . . .

My favorite hero is either Fingolfin or Beleg.

My favorite character on the other hand is probably Melkor, because he actually survives through the whole book, and is always planning and striking out, making strategies that only end up failing because of the Valar's invasion.
Old 01-12-2001, 04:33 AM   #40
Curandir

Re: Favorite characters . . .

I really like Cirdan the Shipwright. I'm a sailor and identify with his love of the sea. Also I think besides those in Valinor he's the only one to make it from beginning to the end of the 3rd age in Middle Earth