Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-22-2002, 09:38 AM   #21
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Cassiopeia:
*Aragorn hitting the pillow in Lothlorien. I still do not understand his motives.
He hits a pillow? I thought he hit Sam, or something. Granted I wasn't paying too much attention to that scene. Still, I don't think it was necessary for anyone to hit a pillow with such anger and hatred.

What annoys me? Well, the main thing is the new way the fellowship meets Celeborn and Galadriel. They seriously messed up the score cues. The theatrical version does it just right.

Another thing: every time I watch the fight scene with Aragorn and Lurtz, I foam at the mouth when Aragorn gets hit against the tree, his sword flying out of his hand. Well, I haven't foamed at the mouth yet. I foam at the mouth when I see the very next frame has Aragorn's sword in his hand.

*foam, wipe, dribble, wipe*

Another thing, could the scene where Isildur puts on the One Ring be any faker? It should be obvious to anyone that they were using rear projection special effects.

Another thing, the scene where Frodo and Aragorn plummet toward the rest of the fellowship on that rock in Khazad-dum. Jarring.

And why did they have to botch the Galadriel ....."thing"? Why why why plus why?

And the wings on the balrog, how annoying are those? Jeebus Cripes!

And why did they have to cast such a blatant batty-boy for Legolas?

And why does the R2 PAL set have player-generated subtitles? And why does PowerDVD have such a crappy subtitle font?

Aragorn's singing annoys me. Deeply.

And why does Aragorn have to be such a wimp? Boromir gets hit by the cave troll to the other side of the room, and he shakes his head. Aragorn gets hit over a smaller distance and he ends up dreaming about Luthien.

It annoys me to a large extent that Glorfindel did not make an appearance, dammit.

I can't think of anything else to be annoyed at -- how annoying!

Last edited by Andúril : 11-22-2002 at 10:04 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 11:10 AM   #22
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I really am not too annoyed with the movies at all.

My BIGGEST pet peeve is that people are confused about the scene with Aragorn "hitting a pillow" He is hitting Gimli because he is snoring during Sam's singing a song about Gandalf.

I am also annoyed that people dont understand that one scene with the Lembas. I believe it is Pippen, but they BURP that is why they cover their mouths. Remember how Pippen is clearly very frightened at the thought he wont get all of the meals? (on their way to weathertop) This I guess is a little bit of a joke, maybe aimed at the younger people watching. I thought it was pretty funny considering how important food is to hobbits.

And just a couple things that are annoying about the movie

Gandalf and Elrond dont do the whole water horses thing when Arwen is taking Frodo to Rivendell. UGH!

They dont explain that it is also Frodo's birthday

They dont have the Sackville Baggins take care of Bags End when Frodo leaves for Bree.

And probably the most annoying thing is Merry line when they are being chased by the Nazgul just before they get to Buckleberry Ferry, when he says something like "Those black riders were looking for something, or someone, Frodo?" It seems like he knows something, or way more than Frodo. Really really annoys me everytime that part comes on.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:32 PM   #23
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

It's all silver apples

This is my first and only foray into this forum, as I'm a 'book' person all the way and am eternally grateful to the Lords of the Entmoot for their wisdom in separating the two, movie and book.

However, this morning I stumbled across news that Apple was hosting the Two Towers trailer and checked in here to see if the Mooters knew about it: it seems they do, which is not surprising.

I decided to watch it, as I hadn't gone to the first movie (read about its progress online a few years ago and knew it wouldn't make me happy; that sense has been confirmed by hearing others talk about it since, especially many of those who praise it). Well, I have Quicktime, but with a 56K connection, it took forever to load, and maybe wouldn't have played at all, though I did get one quick shot of background music. However, I was given an image of two of the film's hobbits, presumably Sam and Frodo, as I waited. I won't go into the thoughts it inspired, as this is a forum for people who love the film. Respect and good wishes to those whom it delights.

Suffice to say I ended the download before it was complete after realizing that the hilarious argument between Wilhelm and Serlo on how to edit "Hamlet" for a modern audience, in Goethe's "Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship," was replaying in my mind.

“It is not chaff and wheat together,” said he: “It is a trunk with boughs, twigs, leaves, buds, blossoms and fruit. Is not the one there with the others, and by means of them?” To which Serlo would reply, that people did not bring a whole tree upon the table; that the artist was required to present his guests with silver apples in platters of silver. . . ."
Book V, Chapter IV, at http://www.bartleby.com/314/504.html
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 08:58 PM   #24
Eglantine Banks
Hobbit

one line grates ...

In the EE of FOTR when the Fellowship are approaching Moria, and Gimli says something about a certain Dwarf secret being lost even to the Dwarves, and Legolas says the following howler:

"Why am I not surprised?"

What's this? The script writers had a bad day and couldn't think of anything elegant for Legolas to say, so they had him use a weak contemporary cliche? Why didn't he just say:

"D'oh, why am I not surprised, dude?"

(Btw, mostly I love the movie but I find it fun to pick it apart like this.)

-Eglantine
Eglantine Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:41 AM   #25
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

ummm, I think Galadriel and Frodo "talk funny" at her mirror. Frodo's "What will I see" and Galadriel's answer, "Even the bravest...." (I can't remember what she says!) are in this funny sing-song voice. I also get annoyed cause she is going for the ring, reaching for it, then trips out totally. When she comes down, she says she passes the test. What test! She got so whacky, I can't tell what she would have done. Who can take a ring when they're growing 5 feet and turning purple green and pewter! It's nothing really!

Last edited by Lizra : 11-27-2002 at 12:07 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 12:20 PM   #26
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Sam Gamgee

I know what you mean. Frodo sounds really weird there.

I dont have any annoying bits. I love the film I wish they had
Tom Bombadil in it though
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:59 PM   #27
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

THE PILLOWS IN LOTHLORIEN!! I seriously do feel like sending them decent ones! I hate those things, they are such an eyesore. EEEE. Okay. On to next nitpick...

The way Frodo and Gandalf stand suppressing laughter with each other in the beginning is annoying. It seems like they're not letting us in on a personal joke or something.

Frodo's purple-shot eyes... it looks so entirely fake.

Boromir wins the cheesy WI prize! "It's not a mine...it's a tomb!" Honestly

Dirty hands in perfectly fine places! (Like the Shire.)

As you can tell, I dug very deep in my memory to find these. I loved the movie...seriously, I just had to get those out in the open. Because they are annoying to my small brain.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:03 AM   #28
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

"what's this a ranger caught off his guard"

"so you have chosen the way of ..................PAIN"

"let's hunt some orc"

"I do not want that power, I have never wanted it"

"if you want him, come and claim him"

'GANDALF THE RING CAN'T STAY HERE!"

"the..enemy........knows....you..have .......entered........here"

"Frodo, lean forward!"

"this is one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily.....................oh!!"

The Lord Of The Rings is poetry from beginning to end, this kind of writing belongs in Terminator.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 11-27-2002 at 02:02 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 12:06 AM   #29
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I still have pain when Saruman say "The way of pain"!
Old 11-27-2002, 02:09 AM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner
Please post the quote from letters where Tolkien contradicts his paragraph at the end of FoTR. I have read, but no longer own, letters and don't recall that statement but would be interested in being corrected if it is there.
"The Two Towers gets as near as possible to finding a title to cover the widely divergent Books 3 & 4; and can be left ambiguous - it might refer to Isengard and Barad-dur, or to Minas Tirith and B; or Isengard and Cirith Ungol (1)." [Letter #140]

And in the footnote to the above (1):

"In a subsequent letter to Ranyer Unwin (#143), Tolkien is more definite that the Two Towers are 'Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol'. On the other hand, in his original design for the jacket of The Two Towers (see #151) the Towers are certainly Orthanc and Minas Morgul. Orthanc is shown as a black tower, three-horned (as seen in Pictures no. 27), and with the sign of the White Hand beside it; Minas Morgul is a white tower, with a thin waning moon above it, in reference to its original name, Minas Ithil, the Tower of the Rising Moon (FotR p. 257). Between the two towers a Nazgul flies."

"I am not at all happy about the title 'the Two Towers'. It must if there is any real reference in it to Vol II refer to Orthanc and the Tower of Cirith Ungol. But since there is so much made of the basic opposition of the Dark Tower and Minas Tirith, that seems very misleading." [Letter #143]

Last edited by BeardofPants : 11-27-2002 at 02:11 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:25 AM   #31
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

you know what really bugs me? (...awaits eager replies of 'tell us! tell us! we want to know! )

. . .is that people are STILL nit-picking endlessly about the movies. okay, okay, half of this stuff we've heard a million times, the other half are barely significant. don't get me wrong, i think we're all entitled to a bit of nit-picking, and really i don't have to read this thread in fact i could pretend it doesn't exist, but since this is an annoying things thread, i shall state my annoyances. why can't we just appreciate that there is a movie at all and deal with the minor (or not so minor) problems it might have?

...and now i'm going to invalidate my previous statement/question by saying that a. there are many things that bother me about the movie and b. that i've done my share of complaining.

so what i really mean is, well, it's rather silly to complain so much at this point but i guess it's alright. um. *sighs hopelessly* why do i even bother? i contradict myself too much. ..

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:38 AM   #32
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Anyone who tries to be perfect will be nitpicked to death! It's Ok, EG....loosen up, Now...complain! see...that was easy!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:33 AM   #33
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Thanks for posting the quotes, that is definitely less clear than I remembered.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:49 PM   #34
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner
"so you have chosen the way of ..................PAIN"
I thought it was death not pain.

Quote:

"Frodo, lean forward!"

I dont remember this! When was it said and who said it?????? I WANNA KNOW!!!! lol
Old 11-27-2002, 02:17 PM   #35
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Origionally posted by Firekitten2006

Frodo, lean forward! I dont remember this! When was it said and who said it?????? I WANNA KNOW!!!! lol

This is said by Aragorn to Frodo when they are on the bridge in Moria, that help?
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:59 PM   #36
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I thought it was death too. Either way, it's DUMB!
Old 11-27-2002, 03:05 PM   #37
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

DUH! *smacks herself in the forhead* completely forgot about that!
Old 11-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #38
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

must...not...complain...

*gives up*

ARGH i think the thing that annoyed me most was the 'wizard's duel.' yeah. hated that. next up galadriel. why couldn't they have kept the nenya thing in the normal release at least? it was bad enough that galadriel went crazy but they could have at least kept that what 3 second line about nenya!

oh and i thought the SE DVD would at least have the scene that i saw pictures from with the elves in lothlorien killing the orcs or something like, but no they didn't even have that! not too big of a deal but still...

okay and here for something that's even annoying about the books but the movie also: potatoes. might i point out that potatoes are a new world plant? if middle earth is supposed to be a sort of pre-history europe, which i believe it to be, then they would NOT have potatoes!!! i'm sorry i always think of middle earth as that and it drives me absolutely crazy when there's potatoes. and worse, tomatoes. all new world.

thank you.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:12 PM   #39
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Saruman actually says "so you have elected the way of ...PAIN" right before Gandalf gets lifted up the tower.
"Lean forward" is from the collapsing staircase scene.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:40 PM   #40
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

I was thinking of Saruman's bad line when he's talking to his Moria book! I skip the wizard duel usually, and had forgotten "The way of pain" there. I bet he does something that makes me cackle in TTT!