Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2003, 11:44 PM   #21
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I always felt that leaving the Entwives a mystery was supposed to help highlight the fact that the "old world" was passing away and the Age of Men was about to begin. All other races would hopelessly dwindle down to either extinction or sail West (Elves). I take the mystery of the Entwives to mean that Ents too will at some point become extinct or become more tree-ish, and that their story is also wrought with much sorrow throughout its history.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #22
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

It doesn't matter if he was right to or not, you know? It was his decision to make. . . That sounds really b!tchy doesn't it?

Anyway, it leaves something for you to imagine, something that you can create a 'dialogue' for in your mind, and I like that. Although, I have to say, I would have liked a hint! It's been mentioned before, but I think it was just to add weight to the fact that the Age of Man was rising, and all things old were passing away (in a general sense).
Old 04-25-2003, 02:02 AM   #23
Heather Wooltoes
Elven Warrior

When I was a 13 yr. old hardcore scifi/fantasy nutcase of a bookworm, I decided Xanth was attached to middle earth somewhere and that's where all the Entwives went after their gardens got trashed.....They bred the Tangle Trees and nightmare gourds....carnivorous grass.. IQ vines...ect.....

A garden that harvests YOU!

That's also where Hobbits come from...heheheh anyone familiar with the xanth series know that folk tend to change if they hang around a few generastions. Hobbits were Men at first, or Orcs? that immigrated into Xanth, changed and then some generations later went back out into the world

lol...god I was a stupid kid!

Don't p*** me off.....I'm running out of places to hide the bodies!
Heather Wooltoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 06:04 PM   #24
druss
Hobbit

Gimli

Tolkien had to highlight the lack of entwives. To leave the ents purely asexual would have made a mockery of the theme of nature that is prevalent throughout the book. Also chick trees would be pretty damn huorn(y). Sorry.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:28 PM   #25
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I like your terminology Druss. Welcome to the moot!

I've never looked into the lack of entwives (hehe... chick trees) so deeply. I just think that Tolkien had the right to leave them out if he wanted to. So he decided to leave them out. I never saw any reason for it, but what reason would they have to stay really? (<--rhetorical)