Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2002, 07:56 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Nah, that Dutch edition is safe. Too old to get interested in learning a new language. However, if your copy is in English, BEWARE!!!
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:00 PM   #22
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Off course you get one! *runs to the cupboard in the kitchen, takes one nice tasty Belgian chocolate bar, runs back upstairs, crams it into the computer, makes it virtual and sends it over*

Tengwar's coming along slowly, I'm starting to recognize some of the symbols. But I'm still three phases away from actually writing something down.
Quote:
*SGH runs by the bookstore and picks up "Dutch in 10 easy lessons" *
Oh no! Quickly hides nice shining white copy of 'Brieven' (Dutch translation of 'Letters')

Later edit after reading SGH's reply: *sigh of relief*
Old 10-27-2002, 08:00 PM   #23
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, Radagast The Brown And how did your bar mitzvah (sp?) go? What a special day - hope it was nice. Yes, I really dove in, didn't I? But there's so many interesting topics that it's hard to resist My laundry has suffered, though...

Thanks, Sween I like Christmas, too. It's getting close! Don't worry about spelling, just keep posting I hope to see you more often on the threads I hang out in (mostly ME forum and Sil).

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:05 PM   #24
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thanks, Eärniel - yum!

And I found out, strangely enough, that the actual WRITING of the characters is what really helped me to learn them. I don't know if it was just pulling it into a physical, vs. wholly mental, area that helped, but it sure did. Maybe it will work for you. But I think learning English and Quenya at the same time would be really difficult - I know I would be totally confused. Good luck!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-27-2002, 08:10 PM   #25
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Yes, writing them does help me too to learn them, well at least that's the way it went when I learned the dwarf runes. But I want to be sure that I use the tengwar the way Tolkien used them, so I plan on reading the part about writing Tengwar in LOTR as soon as I can at least tell them apart and afterwards I'm going to look at Letters how the great man himself used them. As soon as I got there, I'm moving to the writing stuff.

Maybe I should have put that in the tengwar thread...

Oh well...
Old 10-27-2002, 08:59 PM   #26
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Congratulations, R*an!

Entmoot rcoks . . . oh, do have fun with that laundry, please, your Elf Lord-liness!

(note: I put this post in this thread on purpose: This, for anyone who cares, is my 1000th post! Figured it'd be on topic here. )

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 09:17 PM   #27
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
Congratulations, R*an!

Entmoot rcoks . . . oh, do have fun with that laundry, please, your Elf Lord-liness!

(note: I put this post in this thread on purpose: This, for anyone who cares, is my 1000th post! Figured it'd be on topic here. )
Why don't you have a custom title Laurelyn?
Old 10-27-2002, 10:07 PM   #28
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
The CS Lewis thread – what amazing works this man wrote, and how I’ve enjoyed discussing them here, especially with crickhollow, the only other person in the entire world that I know of that has read and likes Till We Have Faces!
I never said I didn't LIKE it! Uh!

Congrats!
Old 10-28-2002, 01:06 AM   #29
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I got a mention! I'm so proud! Congradulations Rian! Great choice for you title. I promise I'll try and post some tengwar soon!

(woah, many exclaimation points )
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:13 PM   #30
Rían

Thanks, Laurelyn - and congrats to you, too!

and I just LOVE doing laundry ................. NOT!

(hard to picture elves doing laundry, isn't it? "oh, those darn lembas stains are so hard to get out!!")

Old 10-28-2002, 01:17 PM   #31
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I never said I didn't LIKE it! Uh!
Sorry Put it on the shelf for a few years, let it age a bit, and try again - you might come to like it in a new way. I'll try to comment some more on the CSL thread on the areas that I really like, and why, if you're interested. I'm glad you're over there, I really like discussing his works with other people.

And thanks for the congrats!!

Last edited by Rían : 10-28-2002 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:21 PM   #32
Rían

Thanks, Menelvagor! I'm really looking forward to seeing your writing

re my title - do you feel that way, too?

Old 10-28-2002, 01:30 PM   #33
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Congraulations Rian!! btw how do I find Tengwar??? I have been looking for it but have never found it.(not the thread, the real stuff) PLease PM me with information how! I am very good at learning how to write in different langueges. I found Greek and learned it fluently in a week! I am hopeing my next one to learn will be tengwer!!! Congrads again!

~*Ms. Undomial*~
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:37 PM   #34
Rían

Ms. Undomial - thanks for the congrats!

Let me just say quickly here that in the Tengwar thread in the ME forum you will find lots of info - links, references to books, etc. I gotta run now, so can't give you more details at this point - let me know by PM or a post here or the Tengwar thread if you found what you needed. YAY! Another Tengwar person!! I hope you have a scanner and can share some of your stuff with us.

Old 10-29-2002, 07:32 AM   #35
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Congrats

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 09:40 PM   #36
Rían

Thanks, Elenka!

Argh! I knew I would forget some people! Believe me, horse people, I had intended to put you guys in here. I had been thinking of the various people that I wanted to mention in the days before my 500th post, and you guys were definitely in the group. But in posts like this, you are absolutely fated to forget someone, and I forgot the horse thread when I actually sat down to write the post. Sorry! I'll amend my post.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:01 PM   #37
Rían

Argh AGAIN! Apparently I hit the post length limit - it wouldn't let me add all this. But this is what I tried to put in:

The Horses thread - where we discuss all the joys of being around the most beautiful animal in all creation (IMHO ) - everything from shovelling muck to winning ribbons in a tough class! It's been great sharing with Elenka, Erawyn, Shadowfax, ArwenEvenstar, LadyMelia, Iron Parrot, Duddun, and Azalea - the only people who really understand why, after having been kicked, bitten, stepped on, thrown, etc., I still want to be around horses!

Keep riding, guys! And kiss your horses for me, please, I miss them so much!

Old 11-18-2002, 12:14 AM   #38
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Well, this is my 1000th post.

I just wanna say thanks to everyone for making these past 8 months here at Entmoot great. It's been lots of fun.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 12:35 AM   #39
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Well, this is my 1000th post.

I just wanna say thanks to everyone for making these past 8 months here at Entmoot great. It's been lots of fun.
Ok fella, want a custom title?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-18-2002, 12:44 AM   #40
Rían

Re: Re: My 500th post! with thanks to lots of Mooters!

Hey, congrats Khamûl!! *throws War Eagle confetti*

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Actually, to tell you the truth... *whispers* I'm not an admin. I'm only a super-moderator.
Oh, moderator-schmoderator! You'll always be a super admin to me