Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2002, 12:25 AM   #21
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Yes, but Wal-Mart is still pure, distilled evil.
Wrong! Wal-Mart hired my handicapped daughter! I will forever be grateful.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:28 AM   #22
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

eeeeeevvvviiiilllll, I tell you, EEEEEVVVVIIIILLL!!!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 12:48 AM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

So is Walmart like our K-mart?

Hey Cirdan, what did you get up to then, eh?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:51 AM   #24
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
So is Walmart like our K-mart?
Sorta. It's more like our K-mart. 0:-)
Old 09-30-2002, 12:58 AM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Why does it not surprise me that that K-mart came from you guys? I always knew that Mordor still existed....
Old 09-30-2002, 01:02 AM   #26
Cirdan

...and we will fill the world with giant non-descript boxes of chinese merchandise in order to destroy your culture, your "mom-and-pop" shops, and your fashion sense!!! BWAHAHAHA!!!

Umm, I'm off me meds today.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 09-30-2002, 08:26 AM   #27
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wal-Mart ran our K-Mart out of town. It's funny, everyone looks so happy there! Saving all that money! Help us, wise Utopian sage! Save us from ourselves! We must have our fashion sense!

Last edited by Lizra : 09-30-2002 at 03:14 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:41 AM   #28
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Hurm...sorry to bust your bubble, but I'm sure most stores would have done the same.
I've known a few people to get caught at other stores, and stuff like this has never happened to them. They either got warnings or probation, but never any fines. So, yes, evil Wal-mart.

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Um why evil walmart? Stealing is wrong and against the law. They can't make special exceptions for you and not others. They don't care about your problems and why would they?
First question answered above. But how can you for sure say stealing is wrong. Yeah, it's against the law, but who ever said law was a good thing? Example: being naked in public can get you arrested, even though that's what you came in the world looking like. Law is phooey.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 08:16 AM   #29
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

First question answered above. But how can you for sure say stealing is wrong. Yeah, it's against the law, but who ever said law was a good thing? Example: being naked in public can get you arrested, even though that's what you came in the world looking like. Law is phooey. [/B][/QUOTE]

Whoo Boy! You have some growing up to do! Reading this is painful! Look, You made a mistake, we all do sometimes. Take it like a woman and quit whining. Your life will go on, you'll get over it, Just check that childish attitute and move ahead! Quit wasting your time arguing! Move forward! (I'm saying this, not to ridicule you or make you feel bad, but to get you to think, if you want to be treated as an adult, you have to act like on) Shoplifting was an indulgent, childish mistake, you're beyond that now (Right!!? )
Old 10-01-2002, 04:44 PM   #30
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Yes. I am a bit disturbed that you are thinking this way. It must suck now, but the fact is that you were going to have to learn this lesson sometime, somehow. I'd be much more disturbed if you had gotten off easy. Shoplifting is still theft and it's still a crime, so the honourable thing to do would be to accept the consequences of your actions and set yourself straight from here on. You can't change what you did in the past, but you can make amends and decide what you will do in the future.
Sorry if that sounds preachy, but we are just concerned you will "go down the wrong path", as it were, and this is the only way I can express it.
Good luck.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 04:47 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You're just damned lucky it's just a fine. My brother got busted a month ago for burglary, and he got to spend a week in jail ... with no toilet paper. Luckily for him, it was first offence, so he didn't get sentenced for it, but still.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:07 PM   #32
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Whoo Boy! You have some growing up to do! Reading this is painful! Look, You made a mistake, we all do sometimes. Take it like a woman and quit whining. Your life will go on, you'll get over it, Just check that childish attitute and move ahead! Quit wasting your time arguing! Move forward! (I'm saying this, not to ridicule you or make you feel bad, but to get you to think, if you want to be treated as an adult, you have to act like on) Shoplifting was an indulgent, childish mistake, you're beyond that now (Right!!? )
Is that how you think my mind works? Okay then.

Yes, I know it was a mistake. Preferably why, I'll say not. And I'm not whining - I'm speaking my mind. I haven't "whined" about this at all since it happened; I have, however, had some strong disagreements with what Wal-mart is doing to me because I have my own standards of what a mistake is, and what they are doing is just as bad as what I did, if not worse. I may have taken $17 worth of products that they got back, but I do not see fairness in them taking $150 and maybe more of mine. I find that childish.

I wasn't arguing either, I was just speaking my mind about law. So what? You can find it childish, but I'm not dwelling on this; I'm merely (or was merely) trying to find some opinions about whether or not my dad was right about what he said, and some people made some slightly off-topic comments that I replied to.

And I don't remember saying, "Treat me like an adult, you big meanies!"

I really wish people would stop taking things the wrong way these days.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 10-01-2002 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:11 PM   #33
Cirdan

This is turning into the 'Moot's "Les Miserables. Breaking the law *is* a mistake. Justice is the next part of the process. The question is not just one of guilt or innocene but also what is an appropriate level of punishment. It is a waste of time and money to take this particular case any further since the process of being caught and prosecuted is punishment in and of itself. If you disagree you should spend a day or two in your nearest courtroom to get an idea of what people get away with today. Long sentences have filled the prisons (the population of which has doubled in the last ten years) to the point where cash strapped districts must hand out weak sentences.

Everyoner is entitled to a mistake. R-E, you should work on your "regret" speech. It's critical to a light sentence. Lucky for me my family is full of lawyers.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-01-2002, 05:15 PM   #34
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
You're just damned lucky it's just a fine. My brother got busted a month ago for burglary, and he got to spend a week in jail ... with no toilet paper. Luckily for him, it was first offence, so he didn't get sentenced for it, but still.
That would be cruel and unusual punishment (unconstitutional) here. It's strange that they see no problem with the sodomy.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-01-2002, 05:15 PM   #35
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
Breaking the law *is* a mistake.
I think I've pointed out before: that's an opinion. It may sound childish to most, but I'm not fond of law. If you have a problem with someone, work it out with them - sending in people with guns and handcuffs to catch them is primitive and (now I know this isn't the right word, but it's close enough) unnatural, so to speak.

It's been seen as cruel for a long time, but humans are animals. Let's face it. Since when did rules suddenly apply to us and us alone absolutely?

But in this world, yes, things like that are relatively mistakes. However, in the real world (as I call it), stuff like that just does not exist.

And question, Cirdan - "regret" speech?

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 10-01-2002 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:23 PM   #36
Cirdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
"Regret" speech?
You know... I'm very, very, very, very sorry and I'll never do it again. It was a mistake and I promise I'll never ever, ever, do it again. yadayadayada

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-01-2002, 05:26 PM   #37
Sween
im quite stupid

her only mistake was getting caught
Old 10-01-2002, 05:28 PM   #38
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Well, see, under pressure of much higher authority I breakdown and say a lot of funny things. I can't tell if it's natural instinct or what, but I've never had to work on saying sorry - it comes out perfectly on it's own.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:32 PM   #39
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
Well, see, under pressure of much higher authority I breakdown and say a lot of funny things. I can't tell if it's natural instinct or what, but I've never had to work on saying sorry - it comes out perfectly on it's own.
only say sorry if you mean it. I make no appolgies every but i have an uncanny nack of worming my way out of trouble of slipping into the shadows and not been caught .

I have never been charged or caught for any act of crimality that i may of commited.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #40
osszie
Elven Warrior

It's strange when you have your first brush with the law.........never been to jail personally but came close once or twice (it would have been juvinile prison/borstal) decided against that and been an, almost, law abiding citizen ever since.

The thought of sharing a shower/bathroom every morning with a hundred other men didn't appeal at all. (Coincidentally the same reason I never joined the army).

BoP that's just terrible could your brother not trade for a loo roll
osszie is offline   Reply With Quote