Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2002, 07:52 AM   #21
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I wish there were ghosts, and Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, The Sandman.....Sorry, no ghosts in this world.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:45 PM   #22
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Not to say you'r wrong in all but do you have proof that they exist or not. Some people could have been so in to ghost that they thought they saw one. But tell you the truth they can exist but you just can't proove it.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:26 PM   #23
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

We only know a small fraction of the world around us - so no one can say there are no ghosts. In all actuality, and I'd hate to do this, but ghosts are as likely as god and so many people seem to believe in that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:42 PM   #24
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I don't know about ghosts, but I do believe in God and spirits, and I wouldn't say I'm delusional.

There was something in our old high school, though it may have just risen from multiple imaginations. I've heard a lot of stories, some about a dead janitor, some about a dead student, but I don't really believe all those. What I do believe is what I've seen.

My freshman year, our lockers where on the third floor (the floor with the 'ghost'). I went to a school function (can't remember what) with some friends, and one of them remembered he had left his English book in his locker, and he had an assignment. So five of us went up to the third floor, freaked out because it was so dark. When we finally got to the third floor, we looked into the door that leads to the hallway and all we could see was a red light filling up the entire floor. It wasn't just light from the exit sign, because it was just flooding the hallway, all the way down. We all ran downstairs. It's kind of funny to think about now.

Also, I've heard from several people, most who I trust deeply, that in the art room the water would just randomly turn on and off (the art room is in the third floor, and supposedly where the janitor or student died). You could blame it on old plumbing, because the school is over 100 years old, but it never happened anywhere else in the building.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:07 PM   #25
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I had an encounter with a ghost once.

In my imagination.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:25 PM   #26
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicirus
Not to say you'r wrong in all but do you have proof that they exist or not. Some people could have been so in to ghost that they thought they saw one. But tell you the truth they can exist but you just can't proove it.
If you can't prove something is real, it doesn't exist. I've been living next door to a house where some one was "murdered". I'v been living in the the same house next to it for seven years. Have I seen anything wierd? NO. This is part of the reason I don't believe in Ghosts.
==========================
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!

Last edited by Faramir : 08-24-2002 at 02:23 PM.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:39 PM   #27
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
If you can't prove something is real, it doesn't exist.
That's not true.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:47 PM   #28
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir

If you can't prove something is real, it doesn't exist...
Actually, I would say that if you cannot prove that something is real, it just means that you are not certain of its existence. You have to prove that it does not exist as well or can be explained by some other plausible means for you to be certain that it is not real.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:58 PM   #29
BeardofPants
the Shrike

There are a lot of things in the realm of science that can only be postulated... Quantum Physics is a good example of this. Doesn't mean that particles don't exist. It just means that we can't observe them effectively. Yet.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:58 PM   #30
Faramir
Elven Warrior

Quantum Physics??? That's confusing...
And what pray tell is real but can't be proved Starr Polish?
YODA IS DA MAN!!!
I Love Jesus!
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:08 PM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Faramir
And what pray tell is real but can't be proved Starr Polish?
I just gave an example. Particles. We can't observe them. Everytime we try to measure them, they collapse. Does this mean they don't exist? No. It just means that we dont' currently have the means to do so.

Ultimately, we can't even prove WE exist.
Old 08-23-2002, 09:21 PM   #32
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Ultimately, we can't even prove WE exist.
Yep, I can be BoP's recurring nightmare everytime she eats meat and dairy products...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 08-23-2002, 11:40 PM   #33
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn

Actually, I would say that if you cannot prove that something is real, it just means that you are not certain of its existence. You have to prove that it does not exist as well or can be explained by some other plausible means for you to be certain that it is not real.
Thank you for saying what I couldn't find the words for.

According to science, you can never prove something is true, but you can prove that something isn't true.

Quote:
A hypothesis is a proposition that might be true. We call the test of a hypothesis an experiment. An experiment evaluates alternative hypotheses. "there is no light in this dark room because the light switch is turned off" is a hypothesis; an alternative hypothesis is "There is no light in the room because the light bulb is burnt out"; yet another alternative might be "I am going blind." An experiment works by eliminating one of the hypotheses. For example, we might test these alternatives by reversing the position. Let us say that when we do this the light does not come on. The result of our experiment is thuse to disprove the first hypotheses -- something other than teh setting of the light switch must be at fault. Note that a test such as this does not prove that any one alternative is true, but rather deomnstrates that one of them is not. In this instance, the fact that the light does not come on does not establish that the switch was in fact in the 'on' position (it might have been either 'on' or 'off' if the light bulb was burnt out). A successful experiment is one in which one or more of the alternative hypotheses is demonstrated to be inconsisten with experimental or observational results and is thus rejected. Scientific progress is made teh same way a marble statue is, by chipping away the unwanted bits.
Courtesy of my AP Biology book.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:48 AM   #34
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quantum physics is confusing, I did a course on it last semester. The gist of it is that you can't similtaneously know the exact velocity and momentum of a particle, such as an electron. But since we don't experience very small things like an electron everday, we didn't know about it till about 100 years ago. Quantum mechanics is a good model, as it agrees with all experiments so far.

I see the world as atoms and forces and the laws of nature. I don't understand how there could be ghosts.

If anyone has proof - I mean real proof, not second hand stories or blurry photos - I would really like to know about it.

The trouble with society today is that we are beginning to become less skeptical. Those stupid TV shows with psychics are just one example. Read some books by Carl Sagan and you will be informed.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:54 AM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn

Yep, I can be BoP's recurring nightmare everytime she eats meat and dairy products...
So that's the tug of remorse I get everytime I drink a glass of milk!
Old 08-24-2002, 01:04 AM   #36
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

So that's the tug of remorse I get everytime I drink a glass of milk!
BoP drinks milk; therefore I am.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 08-24-2002, 01:13 AM   #37
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, but the question is, whose dream am I in, and are there ghosts in it?
Old 08-24-2002, 03:03 AM   #38
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Faramir your supercillious attitude is only bested your insulse discernment.

Quote:
Jersey Devil saw thought he felt his mom because he had been drinking and felt guilty(no offense JD).
Do you truly think that by putting ( no offense) that it exonerates you.

Then you make this totally fallacious statement:
Quote:
If you can't prove something is real, it doesn't exist
And THEN you say:
Quote:
You've got a lot of nerve to pair God with ghosts too
God, Santa Claus, unicorns, ghosts, faeries etc....all the same for some people.

Using your own faulty logic prove that God does exist.

Then be prepared to have Anduril show you the errors of your ways.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 08-24-2002 at 03:10 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 10:40 AM   #39
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
I don't know about ghosts, but I do believe in God and spirits, and I wouldn't say I'm delusional.
Uh . . . ghosts ARE spirits . . . when are people going to realize that?

GHOST: 1.) The spirit (KEYWORD: spirit) of a dead person, especially one believed to appear in bodily likeness to living persons or to haunt former habitats. 2.) The center of spiritual life; the soul.

Wake up people: ghosts and spirits are the SAME friggin' thing.

Sorry, this just annoys the heck outta my poor little brain.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-24-2002 at 12:32 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 01:23 PM   #40
Sween
im quite stupid

ive never seen an imbodiment of a spirt but i do often feel there pressence. Just like you can feel been watched you can sence spirts. I beilive very strongly in personal space i have like 3 metres either side if anything comes into that im very aware of it.