Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2002, 01:31 AM   #21
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

NZ is an island....

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:32 AM   #22
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Yeah - actually I have been to Alabama several times. We almost moved outside Birmingham Alabama - but instead we moved to Indiana.

We used to go on vacation to Gulf Shores Alabama when we lived in Seymour. I know very typical of people that live in Indiana.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:44 AM   #23
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

That's cool. I'm actually going to Gulf Shores in a couple of weeks. I haven't been to too many states in my life. Let's see, there's Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, and that's about it. I hope to really get out and see it all one day.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:55 AM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I rescind. HOBBIT has just informed me that New Zealand is in fact an island. I consider myself duly enlightened.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:56 AM   #25
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I'll tell you which states I haven't been to - that'll be easier. By the way - these do not include just flying into the airport - otherwise I'd have several more states that could include as being to.

States left to see -
Alaska
Hawaii
Monatana
Nevada
North Dakota
South Dakota
Colorado
Kansas
Minnesota
Wisconsin

I've lived in 6 states -
New Jersey (Bricktown, Kendall Park, Plainsboro)
West Virginia (Salem)
Indiana (Seymour)
Illinois (Chicago)
Oregon (Portland)
California (San Diego)

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 07-04-2002 at 01:58 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 07:45 AM   #26
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

I've lived in 6 states -
I have never moved out of my house in my own little corner of West Virginia. How sad.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 08:36 AM   #27
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Oh, and Charlize Theron.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 10:06 AM   #28
Elvellon
Elf Lord

First we have the post card things:

Sun, beaches (ah yes the ocean), Fado (a local traditional musical style, the name means Destiny), and a hospitable people.

But then, that’s less then nothing compared with what is to be seen and experienced.

If you are not just into Sun worshiping and actually want to see how’s life in the most western country of continental Europe you’ll have a lot to see.

Geography:
For a small country there are remarkable geographical differences inside our borders. From mountains ranges to endless plains, from old misty mountain forests to dry Mediterranean plains, we’ve got it.

Some places, as in Sintra “county”(once known before Roman times as Mountain of the Moon, are truly magical. Byron once described it as a “glorious Eden.” And the legend claim it to be the place were the Grail is hidden. If you ever see it’s magical forests and wondrous castles and palaces you will know why. Yet, this is just one of such places, if the most well known).

Architecture:
You can find numerous examples of all European styles but most interesting is what you can find only here.

The Manuelino is a local variant of late Gothic. Buildings in this style were usually built in pure white limestone. It is a soft stone so it allowed the builders to create wondrous decorations upon it. The motifs used in decoration are also unique; the sea and nautical objects were frequently used, as were exotic themes from distant places, for Portugal was foremost in the European exploration drive during the XIV and XV centuries.

The Mozarabe is not unique to us, but you can’t find it in many other places neither. This style incorporates muslin and European style decoration. The result is something that makes one dream of the 1001 nights tales.

And if you are into really outrageous demonstrations of wealth in the form of architecture just don’t forget to see our Baroque buildings (specially the Mafra Monastery).

Poetry:
We like to call ourselves a nation of poets.

Native Languages:
Portuguese, and Mirandês.

Commonly Spoken Foreign Languages:
English and French.

Nightlife

Well here nightlife means ALL NIGHTLife. Yep, when many others are closing for the rest of the night things are just starting to warm up here. But you have to know where too look for.

Food
With so many cultural influences as we have had in our long history, and so many geographical differentiation to be found in so small a place, we have a plethora of national, regional and local dishes. Impossible to know all, but that doesn’t mean one cannot try, specially because they are delicious.

Whine
ok, now we are speaking of some of the finest whines in the world, period. France can be proud of its whines but so are we of ours. Especially good are the “Porto”, (sometimes known as “Oporto” outside our country). The “Madeira” and “Vinho Verde,” the name of this last whine means Green Whine. (Of course it is not green, the name only indicates that it have a very low alcohol percentage. It is reminiscent of champagne but is distinct from it. )
We have many other excellent wines but, since production is low, they are not usually sold outside our country. That means you’ll have to come here if you are into good and rare whines.

Beer
Since the European football cup of 2004 is going to be organized by us I’ll add this:
If you come from countries were beer is usually light, be careful. Here beer is usually strong.

Coffee
Well, if you ask for one you should know that coffee here means an espresso (and they are usually good and inexpensive), and is always black (unless you specifically ask for milk in it).

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion

Last edited by Elvellon : 07-09-2002 at 06:47 AM.
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 10:08 AM   #29
Elvellon
Elf Lord

BoP, NZ seems a very interesting place to visit, for the images I’ve seen of it on TV.

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 07-04-2002, 10:38 AM   #30
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Elvellon:
Well here nightlife means ALL NIGHTLife
Same here. I remember, on many occasions, exiting a club at 8am just to stand in the queue at another one that was just opening....

...hmmm those were the days...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:47 PM   #31
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm still interested in NZ, BoP. What do the New Zealanders look like, not the native ones, but the descendants of the immigrants. Is there a "New Zealand look". (I'm of Armenian descent myself and can usually spot other Armenians, too much brown hair, the eyebrow thing, and this really friendly smile, there's more, but hard to explain!). From what I saw of your little pix, you are blond with high cheekbones? What country are most New Zealanders descended from, or is it a big melting pot like the USA?
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:54 PM   #32
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:

Sounds like Indiana and the majority of the midwest. Wisconsin is actually one of the states I still have to see. But you did forget - you are the"Cheese State"

Happy 4th of July everyone.
Yeah. I forgot the cheese . I also forgot the lakes and our two "big cities" (Madison and Milwaukee) and ice cream. Lots of ice cream.

Seriously, though, Wisconsin isn't bad if you like cheese and forests and swamps.Plus, Marquette University in Milwaukee contains some of Tolkien's original works! (I still haven't seen them, but they're there.)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:13 PM   #33
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I have to start travelling more. I want to visit all these countries! I don't suppose I could tell you much about Britain that you don't know already, we don't have many surprises. But please continue describing your states! This is really interesting
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 06:03 PM   #34
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I live in British Columbia, Canada (more specifically, Vancouver Island). I love it here - everything's so green. And I don't think that I could stand not living near the ocean. I love the ocean!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 06:19 PM   #35
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvellon
BoP, NZ seems a very interesting place to visit, for the images I’ve seen of it on TV.
Yeah, it is. I tend to moan, and take it for granted, but there are so many things that are unique to New Zealand. For one thing, New Zealand has forrests like no other place in the world. The Waitakere Ranges (about 15 minutes away from where I live in the city!) were formulated with a volcanic eruption, and there are literally thousands of treks in that region alone. Just walking through them takes you millions of years back. The forrests are so ancient, and far removed from the flora of some of the more mainland places. I guess some of you saw a glimpse in FOTR, but that was nothing! And I can honestly tell you, there's nothing like trekking in our bushes, and going for a swim at the Cascade falls, and abseiling down the cliffs, and walking along our west coast beaches (my parents live on Bethells beach where Xena used to be filmed, and in Sturges road, where Hercules used to be filmed...) It's an amazing place to be.

Although it's still a baby compared to other cultures, you can still walk just about anywhere, and see history right in front of you. For instance, just around the corner from Bethells beach is Waitakere Bay (where I almost drowned! ), which is named after the maori chief that was beheaded and staked there. (head on a pike)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
I'm still interested in NZ, BoP. What do the New Zealanders look like, not the native ones, but the descendants of the immigrants. Is there a "New Zealand look". What country are most New Zealanders descended from, or is it a big melting pot like the USA?
It's such a melting pot! Originally France, England and some of the other colonies squabbled over NZ, but eventually England won over and sent out missionaries (to convert the maori), and ships of settlers for a "new life." New Zealand back then (circa 1840s) was a very hard life, pioneering in both gold rushes, forrestry, and the gum industry. Men far out numbered the women, and a lot of NZ development at that time was forrest clearing for land stakes. But it was nothing compared to the poverty of England - even if they did have to endure a 6 month boat trip to get here!

Yeah, so the initial wave of settlers came from England, Scottland, Ireland, and so forth. Our accent is considered more neutral and more close linguistically, to the victorian English accent, than the current English one!

Post World War II saw another wave of migrations, because of the devastation of Europe. So then we got an infusion of Dutch communities (I'm half dutch) with some German, and so forth. More recently we have been accepting refugees from Bosnia, Serbia, and other troubled regions.

If you had to define our look, well, it would be of European descent. It's strange - I wouldn't really know how to describe it. However, I could tell you what an Australian looked like generally, by just looking at hir!
Old 07-04-2002, 06:31 PM   #36
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Hmmm, mountains, old forests, the sea. My elvish hearth is already longing to see NZ.

The Caffeine Mantra

Elvellon Erelion
Old 07-04-2002, 07:26 PM   #37
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Quote:
Originally posted by Renille
Since "what it is like in America" could get a little boring after awhile, I'm going to bore you alot with the state I share with no one else on the moot, Wisconsin. Here's a brief tour:

Trees.
Fields.
Cows.
More trees and fields
LOOK! A city!
Aw...you missed it.
Cows.

And that's pretty much it.
Hey! You forgot about Wisconsin Dells! Pretty cheesy place, but the old mining company isn't a bad place (30 dollars in gems and jewels and still counting...)

Quote:
Minnesota
I'm going there in a week, you should come. Oh wait... I don't even know where exactly you live. Never mind.

Blog about Minnesota:
Lotsa forest. Lotsa lotsa forest. Oh yeah.

The Twin cities (St. Paul and Minneapolis) are called that because they're about equal in size and population. And of course they're pretty close together.

Minnesota is called the Land of 10,000 lakes. This is slightly incorrect, there are more than 11,000 lakes, both man made and natural. And they're quite nice to take a swim in. Minnesota is also home to the start of the Mississippi River, Lake Itasca.

It is also the birth place of Louie Anderson (the comedian and host of The Family Feud, I still watch it ) and Charles Shultz, creator of the Peanuts cartoons.

Blog about Texas:
... Actually I haven't lived long in Texas, so I don't know a lot about it. I'll get to that later then. Two things to note though:

1. We don't walk bow-legged, nor do all of us say y'all or have a drawl,

and

2. It is not all desert. Although I have seen too many snakes for my liking.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 10:16 PM   #38
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
I'm of Armenian descent
i WAS very close with an armenian woman for several years

let me guess your maiden last named ended in some like -ian

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 12:32 AM   #39
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I believe that Ernest Rutherford (the guy who discovered the composition of the atom) was a New Zealander too.

In my part of Oz we are about 10 minutes from the bush and half an hour from the beach. Its fun to go bushwalking and look up in the gum trees to find koalas. The beaches here have good waves if you like surfing.

As for the food: Vegemite is yum! The secret is to put lots of butter on toast and just a little scraping of vegemite. Meat pies are very Australian too, but I don't eat them.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:06 AM   #40
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Vegemite? What's that?

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote