Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-20-2000, 09:27 PM   #21
etherealunicorn

...songs...

Sorry I know I am a latecomer to this thread but I love your calls on the essential songs, Iron Parrot and Darth Tater (Darth, by the way, I gotta tell you, I love the nick--that's great!). But the Valar Forbid! I sure hope that Yazad is wrong on the singers(ugh!).
Old 06-01-2000, 03:05 AM   #22
gatito

Re: ...songs...

Hi everyone,

I read an interview with the director and he said there will be some songs to give the audience a flavor of Tolkiens poetry but don't expect alot of it.

Luv Always,
gat
Old 06-01-2000, 11:44 AM   #23
anduin

Hi gatito, welcome to Entmoot!

Is that a pic of your cat? Very pretty.
Old 06-01-2000, 06:14 PM   #24
gatito

Hi again audin,

I saw you on the other board Thanks about the cat though it is just a pic and not mine, I do have cats just not a scanner. :rollin:

Luv,
Gat
Old 06-02-2000, 01:56 PM   #25
Sahana the Elf

Excuse me?! What about 'All that is gold does not glitter...' and 'Seek for the sword that was broken...'? THEY'RE two of the most important! And if they don't include 'Oliphaunt' I'll cry

Also, I started singing 'The road goes over on and on' as I walked home from school yesterday...
Old 07-26-2000, 09:32 PM   #26
Gilthalion

Songs

I tried singing Boromir's funeral dirge (loosely) to "Greensleeves." It was sad.

No I mean the attempt was sad.

Tolkien actually chose to recite it rather than sing it, though he did sing Sam's "Troll Song."
Old 07-29-2000, 04:38 AM   #27
arynetrek

Re: Songs

i think that if the songs are included (& they'd better be...) they should be read like poetry instead of sung. a couple times in LotR Tolkien says that the songs were "chanted" rather than sung, & this way none of the songs will be ruined by bad singers, unfit music, etc.

and i don't know how they could to LotR without
- "all that is gold does not glitter..."
- everything on IP's list
- The Road goes Ever On
- random musical elf-voices in Imaldris & Lorien

and of course,
- A Elbereth Gilthoniel...

aryne *
Old 07-29-2000, 08:06 PM   #28
Gilthalion

Songs

I'll be reading THE HOBBIT at the local Barnes & Noble beginning Sept 9th, and then LOTR beginning perhaps in January.

Although I've sung some of the songs (when very alone), I'm afraid of trying this in front of an audience. I'll have to recite them or chant them, though some almost suggest melodies, and certainly rhythms, just in the reading of them.

I haven't thought much of many of the songs I've heard performed on the internet (very few, I'm afraid).

Tolkien suggested that many of these songs had old rustic folk tunes, well known, and tried and true. I forgot the link, but you can hear Tolkien himself singing the Troll Song! He must have written many of the songs with some specific melodies in mind, or variations of the same kind.

Does anyone have a listing of Tolkien songs sung on the internet? How many of these are more or less authentic, I wonder?
Old 07-29-2000, 09:36 PM   #29
bmilder

Yeah I knew the Troll melody before I heard Tolkien, it was a variation on a well known children's song.

Also, you probably haven't heard this one, but I always hear "Elbereth Gilthoniel" in my mind to the same tune as the Jewish song "Lecha Dodi."
Old 07-30-2000, 06:45 PM   #30
noldo

I always thought of "My Heart Will Go On".
Old 07-31-2000, 01:06 AM   #31
Shanamir Duntak

Beurk
Old 07-31-2000, 06:42 AM   #32
noldo

And if James Horner's making the soundtrack...
Old 07-31-2000, 07:22 PM   #33
Film Hobbit

If they do put the songs in, I hope they don't put many and they make them as short as possible. In my opinion... the little song breaks that Tolkien takes in the books are probably about the only thing in them I don't like. They are generally annoying and make for poor reading... and I anticipate they'd translate even more poorly onto the screen. I do understand why Tolkien put them in, but they got a bit excessive at times and were to long and to frequent for the limited purpose they served.
Old 07-31-2000, 07:30 PM   #34
Shanamir Duntak

Even if he badly wanted to, I don't think Peter could put them all into the movie so don't worry too much about that!
Old 08-01-2000, 12:05 AM   #35
arynetrek

i've heard my mother sing the troll song to the tune of some english drinking-song, & there was a rumor floating around that all the songs were written to the tunes of old bar songs while Tolkien & CS Lewis were out at the local pubs.

bmilder - what's Lecha Dodi?

and if the likes of celine go anywhere near the LotR soundtrack, i'll have to do something truly evil to PJ.

aryne *
Old 08-01-2000, 12:53 AM   #36
Shanamir Duntak

"Nul n'est prophète en son pays"

I "hate" Celine and agree with you Aryne!
Old 08-01-2000, 02:10 AM   #37
IronParrot

Bad news, all. Ian McKellen says:

Q: "What are they going to do about all the songs in the books?"
A: "I am not certain but I think the songs will not feature as regularly in the film as they do in the novels."

Find it on:
www.mckellen.com/epost/l000616.htm

With a whole bunch of information which I'm reposting in a new thread.
Old 08-02-2000, 01:54 AM   #38
Shanamir Duntak

That's not really a bad news according to me.
And that doesn't say if they'll be sang, recited...
Old 08-03-2000, 02:51 AM   #39
arynetrek

ATTN French speakers...

"Nul n'est prophète en son pays" - could someone translate? i don't speak French.

i'll miss the songs if they go - they make the books unique. but they'd better keep Elbereth Gilthoniel... even if it's spoken (shouted?)

aryne *
Old 08-03-2000, 08:21 PM   #40
Shanamir Duntak

Re: ATTN French speakers...

"Nul n'est prophète en son pays"

"None can be prophet in his country" That's word to word translation. I'm sure you have another expression meaning the same thing but not worded that way. I just don't know it.

and for the songs, they make the BOOKS unique. They'd make for a bad movie if all included. That's sad but it's reality. But I hope they kept Elbereth Gilthonel!