Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-03-2002, 07:57 AM   #21
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'm noticing that most posters don't remember much about their toddler and baby years. Even the young ones who I kind of thought might remember more since the time span wasn't so great. The childhood amnesia thing is interesting. One theory I've read is we don't remember much because the circuitry in the brain isn't wired up in a well organized fashion yet, so lots of that stuff is "lost". I talk about things with my son to try to keep the memories, like "remember when you were two and you got a big blue toy tractor for your birthday?" He says yea, but he could be just humouring me. I'm glad I don't remember all those diaper changes or drinking from the bottle!

Last edited by Lizra : 06-03-2002 at 08:04 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:30 AM   #22
Garina
Elf Lord

I remember helping to bath my baby brothers - how sickening is that?!!! (They're 14 now)

I also remember this girl at playgroup hogging all the books, and screaming my head off because I wanted to read.
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:57 AM   #23
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
I remember my grandma picking me up and bringing me back to the hospital bed with my mom (who was dead alsleep after her c-section). that's the best memory i have because my grandma died of brest cancer when i was 3, and i never got to see her and that's my only memory of her.

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 09:34 AM   #24
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Aww, frodosgirlfriend, that's sad!

More of my early memories:

I remember getting out these really tall socks of my dad's (I think they came to the knees on him) that he never wore and putting them on. They came all the way up to my thighs with a little bit of slack. We have pictures....

Also I would put on his Sunday shoes and walk around the house in them. I tripped quite a bit!

I used to play this game with my dad where one of us would say "stinky diaper!" and the other would say "clean diaper!" and we'd go back and forth like that for a while until I got bored of it. Scary, huh?

Lizra, I think one way to help remember one's early childhood is pictures. If you take lots of pictures of your kids and they look at them a lot they'll remember better when they're older. I remember a lot of stuff cause I've been exposed to pictures of me when I was little for quite a while.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."

Last edited by galadriel88 : 06-03-2002 at 09:35 AM.
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 05:59 PM   #25
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
The childhood amnesia thing is interesting. One theory I've read is we don't remember much because the circuitry in the brain isn't wired up in a well organized fashion yet, so lots of that stuff is "lost".
Yep. It has a lot to do with that. Only in extraordinary circumstances, ie a gifted child, can they remember back beyond a certain "mind block."
Old 06-05-2002, 11:00 AM   #26
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I remember but little form very early on, I got a bad memory for these things. Seeing pictures helps but it seemingly changes my memories more than keeping them intact. But my earliest memory award goes to..... the time when I was about 6 I think and I was running to the playgrounds with some friends. There was a lot of wind that day and one of the huge trees (we're talking BIG here)fell down 5 meters before us.
Old 06-05-2002, 02:13 PM   #27
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think I remember getting a red tricycle for my 3rd birthday and turning it on its side and just enjoying the act of turning the small side-wheel. That's all I remember about being 3 yrs old.

Then I remember a lot of 4 yr old moments:
1. My brother being born and no one being on my back that much anymore. (Yay, privacy!)
2. Going to nursery school and finding out there are other people of our kind (hobbits, er, 4 yr olds).
3. Wondering why we had to copy all these archaic symbols (A, B, C, D, E, etc) but I don't know why they asked us to do so. All i know is that sometimes they're supposed to be drawn next to each other and sometimes a space apart. Numbers and plus and minus signs were more fun since you only needed to write the correct answer. Writing stuff was so tiring then.

I don't remember anything interestingly new after that until 3rd grade when I got to be no. 7 of the top 10 list in class. I think that's when I started getting this weird disease called ambition but that's probably another story.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 06-05-2002 at 02:14 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 02:59 PM   #28
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

i only have two or three blurry memories of my enitre life up until got a a car accident, i remember some ting from infancy, satring up into the trees blowing in the wind when i was still ina baby carrier, something baout a crib (must have been my sister's) and then something from 7 years old or somewhat, like a caterpillar or birthday partie. it's something with caterpillars and birthday parties.. hmm
it's coming back, slowly, my memory i mean... but it's odd not to remember something like last christmas..
now the earliest memories i have are headlights in the dark and metal.. hospitals and chipped teeth, (that are still chipped, and unable to bite_ sorry im going off on a tangent.
so someone remembers the womb, eh?
cool deal, ive always wanted to know what i was thinking while i was in there.

i like my tree emory i guess
must be the elven blood!
Old 06-05-2002, 03:55 PM   #29
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

My 2 earliest memories right off the top of my head is when I was four and I stuck my head through the bars of the balcony fence (I screamed LOUDLY), and also when I was four I was looking out the sliding glass door and watching the mess of the playground dry up in the spring. (I was living in MN then.)

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 04:28 PM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I remember that our kindergarten toilets were unisex. And that my bestfriend David and I used to play "Superman" at play time. I, of course, got to be Superman. The first thumb-sucking one!
Old 06-05-2002, 05:10 PM   #31
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I used to play peter pan with my friends.I was tinkerbell!

then i played Biker Mice form Mars. hmm...strange childhood.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 10:03 PM   #32
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

When I was in kindergarten we used to take our empty milk cartons at lunchtime and pretend they were army tanks and the straws were the guns. We'd say "Say your prayers!" and spin them around. Whoever they pointed to when they stopped was supposedly killed. So don't feel bad, starwberry, I think my childhood was a bit stranger...

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 11:30 PM   #33
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I also remember me and the other kids running in slow-motion and doing that quick beeping sound trying to imitate either Steve Austin or Jamie Summers from the Six-Million Dollar Man or the Bionic Woman TV series, respectively. We'd go up against the fatest guy around and he'd make believe he was the incredible hulk.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 06-06-2002 at 05:51 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:13 AM   #34
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

AWWWWWW!!!! How sweet!

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 10:10 PM   #35
LuthienTinuviel

ahh little kids, running around killing each other all pretend like.
what fun.

i used to pretend i was a teenage mutant ninja turtel, i think it was a pink one. i dunno, i remember teenage mutant ninja tutles and writng "japan" in japanese. (it looks like two boxes stacked on each other, and then a telepone pole)

it's really funny how i remembred that today, (yea, the japan thing just came back today) see, im doing a repost on the foods in japan (im making avacodo sushi) and for the poster me and chrissy (my partnetr) wrote "japan " in japanese, and i was colouring it in and i yelled "sweet! i REMEMBER this!"
it's was really funny seeing as we were in the v.quiet library.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:53 PM   #36
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
it's was really funny seeing as we were in the v.quiet library.
I guess you had to be there.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:22 PM   #37
Elf Girl
Lurker

Oh yeah, I remember having my diaper changed once. I won't elaborate.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 04:37 PM   #38
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Most of my more memorable memories are of playing pretend with various relatives. We'd act out fairy tales and stuff. The earliest one I remember is acting out sleeping beauty with my mom and her stuffed pooh bear.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 11:06 PM   #39
LuthienTinuviel

so yea, in another post, i found out that i should remember being in Las vageas when i was about 7.
hmm.. funny dun remember a thing.
that sleeping beutie remark made me rember something though... at my old house, the stairs came up and into the kitchen, with no wall or bar, and it reminded me of the sairway going into the princess's bedroom at the end of the disney version, ..

im weird.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:12 PM   #40
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

That's not so weird, the stairs at our old house did the same thing. We always played in the hallway and bedrooms though. We had a lot of little kids in the house and Mom prefered us to keep off the stairs.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote