Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2002, 03:12 PM   #21
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

When I was 16, many many years ago , my brother had a friend who was into Tolkien and loaned him the Hobbit. My brother went and bought the set of the Hobbit and LotRs. When he finished it, I read it, and have been addicted ever since. My brother was addicted too, but after many years, he got away from Tolkien and turned his interests toward other things. Now he hardly remembers any thing about Tolkien. The turncoat. So to answer the original question, I read LotRs because my brother asked me to.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 03:52 PM   #22
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I read LOTR because my sister and my two cosins always talked on this subject. Always. So i read The Hobbit and LOTR and when I finished they started to talk on another book... That's sad...
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:18 PM   #23
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

i read the Hobbit when i was about 10 and i loved it. As soon as i got my hands on FoTR i couldnt put it down
Old 05-31-2002, 09:00 PM   #24
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

I read the Hobbit ferst when my dad showed me his LOtr collection that he read when he was a tweener so I decided to read them.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:09 PM   #25
azalea
Long lost mooter

I posted my Hobbit beginnings in the Hobbit forum, so here is my LotR beginning: when I was around 8, my dad was reading the trilogy, and my brother and I made him read it aloud to us, but he didn't read us the whole thing. When I was a little older, I read it myself and it sealed my love for Middle Earth that had begun when I read The Hobbit.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:34 AM   #26
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I was browsing in the library and saw a copy of the Hobbit, so I borrowed it. I remember when I was about 12, a friend tried to get me to read it but I didn't. At the end of the Hobbit it said if you enjoyed the Hobbit, read LOTR, so I did.
Old 06-01-2002, 07:26 PM   #27
Elf Girl
Lurker

I read it because when my mom made references to LotR, I wanted to say, "Oh, I've read that!" Now, of course, I am obsessed.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 07:58 PM   #28
Khadrane
Elf Lord

My neighbors borrowed my family's copy and really liked ot, so I got interested and read it. I liked it so much I read LotR.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:30 PM   #29
Carafin
Elven Warrior

my brother was in a library program (4or 5 years ago) about the hobbit and mom thought it would be "a family experience" if we all read it out loud so we did and ...I liked it! I asked my mom if there wre any more books and she gave me LotR and... I could not get through it but a year later I picked it up and loved it

now that you are all bored I will leave

four be the things I'd be better off without,
love, curiousity, freckles, and doubt
Queen Guinevere?
Though all to ruin fell the world,
And were dissolved and backward hurled,
Unmade into the old abyss,
Yet were its making good for this,
The dusk, the dawn, the earth, the sea,
That Luthien for a time shoud be ~
~Beren: The Song of Parting
Carafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 08:57 PM   #30
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

When I was in high school, my best friend begged me to read Tolkien, but I just wouldn't, for no good reason other than stubbornness. (She was also into James Fenimoore Cooper, and that wasn't an encouraging sign!)
Then, PJ worked his magic and got NEwline Cinema to bankroll the films, and I suddenly had a reason to read LOTR. I was one of those who left the theatre after FOTR and promptly read my way through the trilogy within a few days.....had to find out what happened to that darn Ring!! Since then, I've sort of been continually rereading the books, interspersed with The Silmarillion and HoME. Now I'm hooked!! And have found a whole new world of internet message boards!!!
Old 06-02-2002, 10:31 PM   #31
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Elda, you're just one of those late bloomers.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:44 PM   #32
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

For me, it started with the BBC radio adaption...anyone else (besides EG) know what I'm talking about? Anyway, my dad taped them off the radio and I listened to them when I was really little. Well...you know what they say...the younger you get 'em, the better you've got 'em! I forgot about them for a while, though, and then when I started to re-listen, and I heard there were movies being made, I decided to actually read through the whole books before seeing the movie, etc. So I found my dad's copy of FotR (60's, I think...cover's falling off) and read it in about four days. Now I'm here, and an addict to Tolkien (currently wading through the Sil). Case closed.
-tano
(yikeses...that was rather long!)

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 11:18 PM   #33
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I know of the BBC adaptation you speak of.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:55 PM   #34
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

YAY! FINALLY! Someone else...*sighs in happiness* At risk of getting off topic...did'ja like it at all? And do you know if anyone else knows of the BBC tapes of which I speak? Is there a thread already? (stop babbling, tano!)
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 06-03-2002, 12:25 AM   #35
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Yeah, I liked 'em. I think there is a thread (started by moi, actually) about 'em somewhere. Haven't heard them all though. I wanted to take them to Spain with me, but if I found them, it'd be too bulky to bring.
Old 06-03-2002, 04:45 AM   #36
Garina
Elf Lord

I read the Hobbit when I was about 10, and thougt it was ok. I had been meaning to read Lotr for a long time, and then I saw the first book in my school library when I was hunting for a book to read in English. I narrowly escaped 2 detentions for reading during lessons, and I didn't put it down until I had finished. Then I went and got the other books.
When I was in the cinema I saw a trailer for the movie and immediately started reading them again!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 06:19 AM   #37
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider

News Flash: My husband asked for a copy of Fellowship of the Ring to start reading last night! He said, "If I don't like it, I can always quit." Now I know I believe in miracles.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:39 PM   #38
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Good luck with the hubby!

P.S. off topic, but I found the ENTIRE BBC production at the library today...hooah!
Old 06-04-2002, 01:11 AM   #39
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

YAY! Good for you, Starr. Love those tapes...
About them being bulky...I thought it would be awesome to somehow transfer the sound to my computer and then make it into a CD...not sure how, but if I ever figure it out, want me to send you one?
Send me a PM when you've listened to a bit...I'd love to talk about them with someone.
heh...off topic...*wince* sorry!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

Old 06-04-2002, 11:25 AM   #40
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

It's too long to put on one CD though..::wince::

I'm surprised it took me so long to find LOTR...nice, thick books...yeshhh....