Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2002, 09:58 PM   #1
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

that note wasn't there when i saw it..
hmm ok, my post:

well, i guess some poeple HAVE been living under a rock. i hope that you know that this was a book, written 47 years prior to 9-11. if peter jackson DID change the name he would have fans to answer to. you don't want to awaken the wrath of LOTR fans. it's not pretty. so next time why don't you do some resaerch like a credible human being before you make an assinine petition from your mommy's computer, ok kids?

the stupid people song

nurrg. stupid people everywhere always getting in my hair, laughing at words like "underwear" stupid people everywhere
stupid people let them be, then they might not bother me, but they drive me dern cray-zee, i want to kick them in the knee.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:13 PM   #2
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
i wouldn't sign, only cause, i'm not good at saying mean things. i did think it was funny seeing this guy look like such an idoit!!!!!!!!! the guy prob would of found out that it's a book if we had simply typed it in the seach thingy. i don't have AOL, but i'm sure he would of found something even if he typed it there (if he has AOL). he's prob the kinda person who'd say something like "3 hours of my life waisted seeing this movie!". and the only person who would say something like that after seeing the movie is prob. some half brained redneck, the kind who ride around in their pickup 20 miles under the speed limit talking about the 6 point they hit the other day .

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
------------------------------------------------
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 10:39 AM   #3
Aragorns Dimple
Enting

I signed it and protested that the author was a moron and ought to take his/her head out of the sand and actually READ this work of Tolkien before criticising it's title.
Old 05-29-2002, 01:34 PM   #4
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
Those of us who have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring know what an amazing director Peter Jackson is. When I learned that there apparently was to be a sequel, I was overjoyed. However, Peter Jackson has decided to tastelessly name the sequel "The Two Towers". The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center. In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgiveable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant. Hopefully, when Peter Jackson and, more importantly, New Line Cinema see the number of signatures on this petition, the title will be changed to something a little more sensitive.
[edit]
thats just ludicrous.
Quote:
Please Note: The Two Towers is the title of the JRR Tolkien book originally published in 1954, the second book of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The title was thus established some 47 years prior to the attacks on the World Trade Center towers, and there is no evidence to suggest that Peter Jackson meant anything by continuing the same title other than faithfulness to the beloved Tolkien classics. Furthermore, the two distant, opposing towers in the Tolkien classic have very little if anything in common with the two matching towers of the World Trade Center
kinda weird how this is on the exact same web page?
Old 05-29-2002, 08:40 PM   #5
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

It's true I tell you all! Mr. Tolkien, years before the awful attack and building of the two towers wrote a whole book about it. He saw the desctruction of the two towers in a palantir and thought "yes, I think I will write a book about this, so that years later when Peter Jackson makes a movie about this book, people will protest and get all hot about it on the internet". Actually I now think that Mr. Tolkien was a member of Al Queda and probably Mr. Bin Ladens right hand man. The LOTR is full of allegory: Sauron is the U.S.A., the white council is Al Queda and Sam is Mr. Bin Laden himself. So I agree with the survey: my evidence above in enough for anyone of sound mind to sign the petition in favour of Peter Jackson changing the name of the Two Towers to: "The one where there is a really big battle at Helms deep (I hope this doesn't offend anyone)."

Old 05-30-2002, 04:30 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Clearly this person is an idiot, as is anyone that supports the changing of the title.

In the peition - it's hard to tell if people are just signing it as the petition originator to make fun of him or what. I found this to be interesting - especially if it came from him.

Quote:
3473. Kevin Klerck Stop posting your insults. If you don't like this idea, don't sign it. They are trying to make a profit off this tragedy. Can't you people see this. Quit making fun of me and look at the big picture. "The Twin Towers" should not be released under that name. It's not that hard to change.
If it is him - then he doesn't even know what the title is. Although right after 9/11 I kept referring to "The Two Towers" and accidently saying "Twin Towers". I said it several times at HOBBIT and BMilder's house.

This petition, if true, is too ridiculous for words. It just shows how ignorant people can be. Very sad. It has his e-mail there by the way -

Quote:
3585. Kevin Klerck Why are you people getting irate about this petition? There are a few simple facts here: (1) The sequeal was only completed recently. Movie studios dont make movies unless they thing they're make money off them; (2) Mr. Jackson named the sequal "The Two Towers" to capitalize on the 9/11 tragedy. (3) All this ranting about some "JR Tolkein" has nothing to do with the movie--they are only similarly named. If you have something to say to me, say it directly. You know where to e-mail me: slashdotwidener@yahoo.com. Screaming cowards don't even use your real neams.
I say everyone e-mail him like he asked everyone to. Of course I don't know if he actually had posted that in the peition or if someone was just signing under his name. But does it really matter? He's stupid enough not to have read the books and take up a cause without facts. He deserves to get his mailbox flooded with e-mails from Tolkien fans.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 05-30-2002 at 04:31 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 10:25 PM   #7
LuthienTinuviel

i did just that, and with out trying to reach thru the screen and STRANGLE the boy!
ture, it was a strongly worded letter, and it weren't too nice either, but i gave him my name!, what a jerk.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:46 AM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I see now that the petition is closed due to lack of maintenance. I am sorry about September 11, but this truly shows how many stupid people there are. I had a look at some of the responses and, well they made me laugh (and I think many people are joking). Anyway here is a selection:

"they have no sensitivity, i wont even let my two twin kids stand next to each other out of respect for 9/11"

"So very very true. I actually bought another kitchen table so that my salt and pepper shakers wouldn't stand next to each other. The memories evoked by this sight are too powerful. If Tolkien had been anything less than a totaly bastard, he would have had the foresight to see that a building that hadn't even been built yet might one day be attacked so he should probably name his book something else. Shame on Peter Jackson for trying to name a movie after its source material. He should know better. Everyone who signs this petition, myself included, is a complete idiot."

"I agree, also I think we should remove the word 'Twin' from the dictionary and replace it with 'Same' and remove 'Tower' to be replaced with 'Tall Building' and the number '9' and '11' should also be banned from ever being used again out of respect, it's the least we can do. I'm moving house as I live at No.9, Tower Road, Twin Town. "

Go to this site for a laugh (if we can laugh at such a tragedy).

Old 05-31-2002, 05:19 PM   #9
frodosgirlfriend
Elven Warrior

Location: I live in la la land, you know, the place you go during math class
it might not be real. Fark.com might of made it just to see what ppl would say. I couldn't see all of the poasts just cause my dad said that some where to dirty. some of the things this guy said where sooooooooooooooo funny!!!!! it gave me a good laugh.

---------------------------------------------
AND FGF'S MOST GORGEOUS MAN ALIVE AT THE MOMENT'S AWARD GOES TO.........
BRANDON BOYD (yes once again) !!!!! WOOOO!!!
----------------------------------------------
Hottness has no count for age.... thats why I'm merrying a forty year old who goes by the name of JOHNNY DEPP!!!!
-----------------------------------------------
Fortune cookies tell all, so when i got the cookie telling me to date my love i became a stalker to Johnny Depp, and when i find him my excuse will be "the cookie made me do it"
I'm not stupid, I'm special
"But why is the rum gone?"
"Captian, Catian Jack Sparrow"
"pa-pa-pa parsnip, parla, --"
"Just don't do anything... stupid"
"WELL IT BLOODY IS NOW!"
~Captian Jack Sparrow
Read my FP.net story!!!
frodosgirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 03:53 PM   #10
Khadrane
Elf Lord

That's hilarious. But you can't sign it anymore which really stinks.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 04:05 PM   #11
LuthienTinuviel

you cant? oh well on ce you sign, i guess yer done unless you want to read the "you stupid twit! it's a book!" comments. good for laughs though
Old 08-25-2002, 12:25 AM   #12
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
LOL!

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris

Last edited by Christiana : 08-29-2002 at 03:34 PM.
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:22 PM   #13
LuthienTinuviel

have you seen it lately? most all of them are "false entry voided"
i got up to lik ethe third line and only counted maybe 15 people who agreed with this jerk.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:18 AM   #14
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Lol!
This is utterly ridiculous! I'm going to send this idiot an email; I love being sarcastically insulting. It's fun. And now I have a flame target who deserves it!
Laughed my nose off at those comments.

Flood his inbox w/ flames!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:33 PM   #15
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

That's Hilarious
I can't believe someone was actually that stupid. I wish it was still open so I could've commented. That guy must have stopped it because of the sheer embarrassment. What a moron.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 12:22 PM   #16
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

That is incredibly stupid. However, I noticed that a few weeks ago, and thought some people might be angry when my newspaper misprinted the title to Lord of the Rings: The Twin Towers. That's the only time I noticed it.
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 06:25 PM   #17
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Those people should be stabbed with a Morgul blade. It came out in the 1950's - before the Sept. 11th incident, so it obviously has no connection with it. I wonder how it'll make them feel when I'm happily celebrating my 16th birthday this year.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 09-01-2002 at 10:07 AM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:07 PM   #18
Sween
im quite stupid

Never fear sent him an e-mail calling him a muppet and pointing out he made me look intelegent
Old 09-01-2002, 08:58 AM   #19
entss89
lord of the ents

Nazgul

all i have too say to those who made that patioan is SIT ON IT!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:07 PM   #20
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I found this on another message board - James Randi Educational Forum: an educational resource on the paranormal, pseudoscientific and the supernatural - Release of "Two Towers" Insults 9-11 Dead. It's a thread in reponse to this website - http://www.twotowersprotest.org/ - which is no longer online. I wanted to check it out and see what it said.

Some of the comments of course bash America . Many of them are very funny, such as -

Quote:
...because of my own 9/11 experience, I demand that the entire world stop using the word "pentagon." From now on the term for 5 sided shapes is "onemorethansquareagon."

Also the term "ring" is unacceptable, because the "onemorethansquareagon" was set up in a concentric ring system (a ring, b ring, c ring, d ring, e ring). For "ring" you must now use "shapethatiskindoflikeasquarebutsmoother"

Anyone who does not follow these instructions is uncaring.

I, of course, may still use the terms. All others must stop.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote