Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-14-2002, 12:27 AM   #21
joe
Sapling

I say - join the film and LOVE the book!! The book of JRR must be better than the film, that could not tell the HOLE story and could not describe the FULL characters of the fellowship the ring. Forgive him!!!
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 08:38 PM   #22
Giladrial
Sapling

Sam Gamgee WHAT HAPPENED TO FRODO!!!!!

Ok I remeber as a Kid watching The Hobbit cartoon evin Playing The tsr games I never got to reading jrr tolkings Novels I PROMICE I WILL I HAVE THEM SAVED AT The Libray Ok I got The dvd I am Planning On getting The collectors edition. I do Beleieve That a world Like This dose or at least could exsist. call me a dreamer I found My self cheering for frodo and His companions and Then yelling at The end of The MOVIE WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED! welol here I am If One of you wounderful Knolageable people who have read The books can Help Me I would be More Then greatful
Giladrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:32 PM   #23
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

Hi Giladrial, Really. it would be too much hassle to tell you what happens to Frodo, You'll just have to take some time and read the books! Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:38 PM   #24
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

I agree CBG. The books are quite more important than the movie.
(I finally get how to work that placement thing.)
Old 08-15-2002, 07:14 PM   #25
Lady Legolas
Sapling

I have a friend who keeps asking me that! It's just not the same if someone tells you what happens. You have to read the books. It's way better that way!

¤Lady Legolas¤
Old 08-17-2002, 06:13 PM   #26
LegolasSoulMate
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by joe
I say - join the film and LOVE the book!! The book of JRR must be better than the film, that could not tell the HOLE story and could not describe the FULL characters of the fellowship the ring. Forgive him!!!
I agree...
LegolasSoulMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 03:17 AM   #27
Rhûnboy
Sapling

Location: Flint, Michigan, or Chicago, Illinois, depending on when you ask...
Hmmm...

Grrr... I just typed a long, complicated reply, and it didn't make it through, so now I get to type it all over again. Anyway, I must seem like Mr. Disagreeable, mumbling dissent all over the place (and maybe this is why nobody's replied to any of my posts here...)

Still, I think I'm going to be the voice of dissent here as well.

In principle, I agree with what you're saying. Off topic discussion is a problem, first, because it wastes time (you spend time reading something you aren't looking for) and second, because it wastes space (a lot is unnecessarily repeated).

For these reasons, posts that are explicitly off-topic should be closed or deleted.

However, I find that with regards to the book vs. movie, there has to be some flexibility. Because the movie is adapted from the book, and because they share essentially the same plot, characters, and much dialogue and exposition, many things about the movie are definitely "on topic" about the book, and vice versa. You cannot expect these two subjects to always be mutually exclusive.

I might sound like I'm being picky, but this has bothered me in several threads I've read tonight. The most extreme case was a thread dealing with "inspiring quotes" from the book and movie. The administration first chastized people for leaving quotes from the movie (some which are very similar with lines of dialogue from the book), suggested a parallel thread be opened in the movie forum to deal with movie quotes, and ultimately threatened to close the thread.

I think this is both counterproductive and overreactive.

I say above that wasted space is a problem of off-topic discussion, but think of how much space is wasted by having two seperate threads in two separate forums to deal with one topic, that is, inspiring quotes.
I also say that wasted time is a problem, yet think of how much time is wasted when someone has to go to two different forums to read up on one subject.

I think a much more reasonable expectation is to say that any thread in the Books forum must say something relevant to the books, regardless of whether the movie is involved or not. This will save time, save space, and it will be a lot less confusing to someone who wants to post an ambiguous subject relevant to both the movie and book.

Dissentingly yours,

Connor (Rhûnboy)

PS. Edited, because my HTML code was bunk! :P

Last edited by Rhûnboy : 09-15-2002 at 03:21 AM.
Rhûnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:30 AM   #28
Hannah
Sapling

Gandalf

I agree with with all great literature and films made about them there a great differences and indeed large bits left out in the films which can change the overall opinion of ther charactyer for someone who hasn't read the boo
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 01:01 AM   #29
Aeryn
Bank'ress of Sith

Yeah! Okay!

This one is deactivated, I think.
Aeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 10:44 PM   #30
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I agree with you. Peter Jackson did a great job making the movie, but it's still no book, and will never be.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:47 PM   #31
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The book is an endless well of discussion topics, and can easily be discussed independant of the movie.

The movie is adapted from the book, so it's inevitable that in the discussion of the movie, it will be compared to the book, or quotes from the book will be added etc.

Because of this, I think any thread that mentions the movie should be in the movie forum.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 07:09 PM   #32
OrlandoFan234
Sapling

Aragorn_iz_cool,
__________________________________________________ __
Quote:
I agree. The thing that annoys me most is that some people make Legoles their fave, just becouse he looks good in the movie.
__________________________________________________ __
Why do you say that? I mean Legoles is good in the book also. (As well as in the Movie!!!) Just wondering I thought it was interesting that you and some others would say th at!
~OrlandoFan234~
Old 12-08-2002, 08:08 PM   #33
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I'm with you guys... but I know it's easy to go massively off-topic! I've sure done that a few times... but we just have to try to keep 'em seperate!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 04:28 PM   #34
Eothain
Enting

LOTR

I agree.

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:18 PM   #35
Herooftheworld
Hobbit

Gandalf What r u talking about?

can some of you show me how this place works?
Herooftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:19 PM   #36
azalea
Long lost mooter

I would suggest introducing yourself in the newbie thread in the General Messages forum, and then just explore the board a little. After you've read some of the threads, you'll get the hang of it. Also, refer to the Frequently Asked Questions. There's a lot of helpful info there.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #37
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

ya, one more peice of advise. I have been here only for a while my self.
But yes, I have had enough of my threads closed down. SO DONT POST NE RUBBUSH. Azalea and the others will shut them down immediately.
If u want proof.
goto LORD OF THE RINGS: BOOK and look for Iluventmoot, or azalea-not so good----
or goto Middle Earth and look for : SEXy Shelob, all closed down.

So i hope u get the message.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:00 AM   #38
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Haha, most of congressmn's threads have been closed down! I find that quite amusing
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #39
congressmn
Incharge: neighbourhood security

i see jonathan, u r finding it too funny that my threads have been closed down eh.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:00 PM   #40
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Well, I guess that when you name your threads to funny names like "Sexy Shelob", "azela, not so good moderator", and "Iluventmoot" and keep posting the threads in the wrong places, then you have to count on that the threads are being closed
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote