Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-21-2002, 05:51 PM   #21
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

It's always something with you people (er, ents or something), isn't it?
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 06:16 PM   #22
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Well you shouldn't respect anyone for their post count. Thats exactly the point. Respect them for being good people - people who contribute to the board and discussions. Post counts ARE meaningless. Post counts have NO RELATION to how long you have been a member. I mean if you spam, you can get a high post count. Should people respect you for your count because you spammed to get there? Of course not. Some members, who will remain nameless, have gotten practically 2000 posts in just ONE MONTH. They have not been here for years. Why respect them for spamming? I mean if they contributed some worthwhile things its ok. Some have. Its Quality not quantity.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 06:26 PM   #23
Elf Girl
Lurker

I respected the admins for their post count because I never saw them to spam, so I assumed that even the posts I hadn't seen were on-topic.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:08 PM   #24
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Tristan, I *will* see you rot in a very dark, damp place for this. Or, I'll find a musty box, and lock you away, float it downstream, weighted with rocks. Bite me.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:10 PM   #25
Elf Girl
Lurker

A musty box? I coudn't do that to my worst enemy! BeardofPants, you are cruel.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:30 PM   #26
TinuvielChild
Padawan

at one point i was trying to compete with BoP. it can't be done. now i am content merely to post meaningful, on-topic, intelligent posts (most of the time). what's the rush?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:31 PM   #27
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Finally, I can post with peace of mind again without people counting my posts and comparing. Thanks BoP and Hobbit.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:30 PM   #28
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I've been here for over 6 MONTHS. And I still don't have 600 posts! I think that's okay though...I like thinking over my posts without people having to delete them. And I think people respect me more for it.(Or not! )
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)

Last edited by Renille : 04-22-2002 at 10:49 PM.
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:48 PM   #29
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Oh, and Renille, no one respects you for how little you post. no one cares. If people respect you its because of what you post. Content, not quantity.
I know, I was kidding. Sorry if seemed otherwise. I don't want to appear stuck-up at all.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:52 AM   #30
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Well you shouldn't respect anyone for their post count. Thats exactly the point. Respect them for being good people - people who contribute to the board and discussions. Post counts ARE meaningless. Post counts have NO RELATION to how long you have been a member. I mean if you spam, you can get a high post count. Should people respect you for your count because you spammed to get there? Of course not. Some members, who will remain nameless, have gotten practically 2000 posts in just ONE MONTH. They have not been here for years. Why respect them for spamming? I mean if they contributed some worthwhile things its ok. Some have. Its Quality not quantity.
so why turn yours up then, if its doesnt matter, why dont u be honest and keep ur normal count. If u dont care how many other people have posted, then why try to be above them with a "faker number" than any of the spammers. Dont sink to their level.

andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:48 AM   #31
Darth Tater
The man

Andy speaks truth. Fact is, I think Liz and me (maybe Ben) are the only admins who don't care, Tristan's logic is, well, illogical. Only reason he upped his count was so that BoP wouldn't pass him. Hrmm, sounds like he cars about post count to me!
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:58 AM   #32
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Tater, I allowed my post count to be changed to help prevent spammers seeking some sort superiorty over the Staff.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:54 PM   #33
rainbow
Enting

i have to say that although post count shouldnt gain respect when u guys & gals mentioned 'quality not quantity' u reminded me of my english teacher!

BANANERISM RULES!!!!!

the spotty dog chases its tail till all its spots fall off!
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:08 PM   #34
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
...If people respect you its because of what you post. Content, not quantity.
I always that was the point of Entmoot. And ones posts would rise as time passed as they added something meaningful and fun to the debates. However, it appears to me that way too many threads devolve into topics which would be better of as PMs. I think the true source of Hobbit's unhappieness is the lack of content leading to high post counts.

I enjoy an occasional aside in a thread but mooters need remeber the topic (Isay this to myself as well.)

Oh well, time to post this and pump my total...

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote