Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2002, 06:45 AM   #21
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Huzzah! for fencing!! There's nothing like being wired up in a tournament, and kicking butt, especially if it just happens to be the arrogant male who annoys you all the time....

Ah! And the equipment.... breast guard, kevlar breeches & jacket, trusty mask, and foil!! We was invincible!! (apart from the reaky stinky glove...)
Old 04-19-2002, 07:33 AM   #22
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

any thoughts on this statement

Flicks, fleches, and pistol grips are disallowed (and ineffective) because they are suicidal in a true fencing bout, even in foil, which is maintained as a training ground for the more realistic forms.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 07:36 AM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
any thoughts on this statement

Flicks, fleches, and pistol grips are disallowed (and ineffective) because they are suicidal in a true fencing bout, even in foil, which is maintained as a training ground for the more realistic forms.
Ah bollocks. If you perfected the technique of lung & flick, or run and flick, then there was pretty much no way the opponent could stop it.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:43 AM   #24
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

oops

should have added these

Generally, as classicists use the terms:

Olympic fencing is a sport that is the direct descendent of classical fencing. While it may share superficial similiarities with its parent, it is optimized around the demands of a competitive sport and technique is optimized around making the light go off. Thus, it has diverged from classical technique and will continue to diverge along its own lines away from classical technique.

Classical fencing is the martial art of the final phase of sword duelling in Europe. Like many weapon martial arts in the modern era, it is practiced with blunt weapons and under more controlled conditions than in an actual fight. It emphasizes personal control, poise, and commanding a situation more than it emphasizes scoring a point. Techniques are optimized for not getting hit and for hitting without being hit rather than for hitting first or hitting in such a way as to "play the rules". Furthermore, as an art rather than a sport, it often cultivates a certain aesthetic (although there is the inherent absurdity of "dying beautifully" to consider).

:

Classical fencing is a discussion that centers around the question, "What if they were sharp?"
We can elaborate on this, but this is the best, most concise definition I've come across. By way of contrast:
Modern sport fencing is a discussion that centers around the question, "How can I score points in a competition?"

This can be very satisfying to the people involved, but it's a fundamentally different from classical fencing, where we attempt to the best of our ability to simulate a serious fight with sharps. If my object is to wound or kill, I'm unlikely to fleche or flick (the first is near suicidal with sharp weapons, the second is wholly impossible and ineffective even if it were possible), and I will employ a very conservative strategy. If my object is to set off a light and sound a buzzer while remaining at least one point ahead, I can try all sorts of manuevers that would be anathema to classicists, and take risks that would be suicidally stupid in a serious fight.

The difference is that of a martial art and a game. They don't mix well on the strip becuse they are discussing different things. Given two fencers of similar talent, one a classical fencer and the other a sport fencer, the classical fencer will tend to win on the classical piste while the sport fencer will tend to win on the sport piste. There are no absolutes, of course.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 04-19-2002, 08:02 AM   #25
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

I reall hope this guy dies in your story because being a fencer his life is already worthless.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:29 AM   #26
TinuvielChild
Padawan

hey afro-elf, about those last 2 posts - didn't i just see them in the "real combat" thread??? whutevah....hey Menelvagor, you don't have to worry about Lurien, she's not much better than i am, and i haven't fenced at all since the summer. don't worry.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:25 AM   #27
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
hey afro-elf, about those last 2 posts - didn't i just see them in the "real combat" thread???
yeah that was to cover all bases

'Dern Helm"

Old 04-19-2002, 11:32 AM   #28
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

this might interest you

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-10-2003, 10:42 PM   #29
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

Help!

I've decided to start fencing, and there are two places I'm considering. The thing is one is foil and one is sabre. I'm leaning towards the sabre one, for a number of reasons, but does anyone have any opinions/advice as to which one I should choose?

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:59 AM   #30
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

PM Lief Erikson, I know he's a fencer.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 02:11 AM   #31
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Foil is more technically, and mentally challenging. Plus you come home with less bruises.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:57 AM   #32
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

So you think I should start with foil?? Bruises aren't a problem for me

Old 01-11-2003, 12:58 PM   #33
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Afro elf
Pistol grip is a term I'm not aquainted with, but with the others, particularly the fleche, I can speak . The Flick I haven't been trained in because my instructors say it's too painful for the opposing player. It has resulted in serious bruises to them and once, in a fencing meet (I think) the foil went straight through somebody's mask. If it has been disallowed, I expect it is for this reason.

The fleche is a move I have used very effectively. It isn't a suicidal fencing move at all; I'm very rarely been hit when doing it by anyone except my instructors.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 01:01 PM   #34
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Erawyn, about a year ago I was talking to my fencing instructor about the other weapons, like sabre and epee. I asked, "Which do you think is funnest?"

"The sabre," he answered, "because with that one you get to slash at people. But I wouldn't advise you to start using it yet. The foil is the starting weapon upon which the others are based. People generally go for the sabre because it looks funner, but in my experience, if you're good at foil, you'll be good at sabre. But if you're good at sabre, the chances are you won't be good at foil."
Old 01-13-2003, 01:36 PM   #35
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I prefer bamboo to split rail.
After all this is a "fencing" thread.
Hi a.e.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:23 PM   #36
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
I prefer bamboo to split rail.
After all this is a "fencing" thread.
Hi a.e.
I guess 2003 is a good year. I've no qualms.

I'd take light sabre duelling of course.

'Dern Helm"

Old 01-14-2003, 07:36 AM   #37
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well my 2 cents would say, be careful your oponent doesn't puncture your shoulder as happened in my college fencing class. Sabre is serious stuff. An Epee is fine to keep in shape for me.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:52 PM   #38
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yes, it can be very painful when the two players don't know how to use the sabre. It's the same with foil, only less so because foil is a point weapon and one is protected from slashes by rules.

I want to learn Epee somewhat. Not for doing bouts and not for fencing in competition. Just a mediocre knowledge of Epee would suffice for me, so that I could use it in normal fencing situations. In Epee, all the body is the target (for those who don't know), so it would be useful to know the parries to protect all the body, rather than just the torso.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:07 PM   #39
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

I started fencing last month (foil) and I LOVE IT! I'm the youngest person in the class (everyone else is in uni, as it's at a college), and usually the only girl there, but it's amazing, and I can't wait until I can start going more than once a week. Anyways, there was a point to this post other than blathering on about how GREAT fencing is! Does anyone know of a good fencing book, 'cause that's what I want for my birthday!

Old 02-10-2003, 01:43 AM   #40
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Pistol grip is a term I'm not aquainted with....
Makes it easer to do those flicks.

A link:

http://www.fencingsportireland.com/F...il%20only.html