Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2002, 10:05 PM   #21
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Thank you Eruviel, for your unwavering faith in practicality.

Quote:
I'm feeling bold, Nolendil. Must you be so technical and exact? It is my personal opinion that if Tolkien were here, he would be encouraging us to keep going with this.
No, I musn't, but I will . I am only being 'so technical and exact' so as to be a pain, you can continue for as long as you want.

It is my personal opinion that if Tolkien were here he would be marveling at the wonders of electronic typewriters and trying to figure what exactly an online bulletin board is, and how to use it. So poo on you.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:54 AM   #22
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

You are welcome, o Knowledgable One. *sniff* It helps to think that way. . .although I know I am certainly not living in the West. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 06:23 PM   #23
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Arwen Undomiel

You traitor, Eruviel!!!!

Once the great professor got past all the technology differences, he'd be praising us for using our imaginations, after all, if he hadn't used his then there would be nothing ME related to discuss!!! Of course, he would have mentioned the fact that we are living in the 7th age, but he would then proceed to say, "But please do carry on, I'm finding this quite interesting and amusing."

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 09:20 PM   #24
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I guess the living in the seventh age thing does make sense. But the elves, dwarves, hobbits, etc. aren't REAL elves, dwarves, hobbits etc. They only have the mentalities and thoughts. I know, I make no sense...sorry.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 01:24 AM   #25
Eruviel Greenleaf

Galadriel88, how am I a traitor?

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-26-2002, 09:34 AM   #26
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

So if we are in the 7th age, what happened to the Elves, Dwarves, Ents, Hobbits, Orcs

These are my thoughts:

The closest race of human to the Elves is the Native American, who co-existed in harmony with the land but were displaced by Europeans. Whole populations were decimated by disease to which Elves were immune. Perhaps the Elves who remained in ME lost their immortality, or “faded”, and emigrated to the Americas for a time, but once invaded, could no longer stand alone as a race.

I think the Orcs were interbred with humans, and exist today and are hard to distinguish physically from other humans. They show themselves in their actions. Power-hungry dictators, corrupt public servants, and the like all have Orc or Troll in them from somewhere in the past.

Hobbits are around, probably still exist in remote parts of Europe, but have grown so distrustful of big people that they hardly ever show themselves to us anymore, and if they do we mistake them for children.

Dwarves have disappeared altogether, or live in secret underground societies. Their steeped traditions and stoicism, which once marked them as a hardy race, failed to help them adapt to the changing world and contributed to their decline or demise.

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 04-26-2002 at 09:36 AM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:21 AM   #27
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

In my humble opinion -

I always thought that the orcs/Souron side of things represented modernisation ,mechanisation,the encroachment of industrialisation on merry old England / northern Europe. The coming of the age of man was going to be the struggle of this new way of life against the old way of the elves ie lots of trees and nature and being at one etc - oh well could be wrong.
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:36 AM   #28
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

viggosbeard,
Your opinion is highly valued. Tolkien was very much a Luddite who never wanted to live in the present time, but rather in saner ages long past and eternity. He witnessed first-hand the destructiveness of technology in WWI; his descriptions of Mordor eerily resemble the blasted-earth images of that terrible conflagration. I think he would have agreed with you.
My hypothesis was based on the assumption that we are living in the 7th Age or something like that.

Fear Complacency!
Old 04-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #29
viggosbeard
Elven Warrior

You could indeed be right - does it not say in the hobbit something about them being wary of big people and really good at hiding from us ??!!
And your ride home
You cant avoid her
Shes in the air
In between molecules
Of Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide
Only in dreams
viggosbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 12:50 PM   #30
Eruviel Greenleaf

Those are interesting thoughts. I think that is right, about Tolkien disliking the current age of technology and modernisation, and therefore the 'bad guys' being representative of that, although I would say more so (and less subtly) with Saruman, with his machinery and genetically modified orcs (the Uruk-Hai).
Barrelrider-I find your hypothesis to be quite interesting, though in my humble opinion, I disagree with a few points. First, I believe the elves would have departed beyond where humans could find them, rather than North America. The elves that stayed in Middle-earth, well, I don't know what happened to them but I think they all either departed West with the other elves, or faded in ME, but I don't think they would have immagrated to N. America.
Also, it would be nice to think that all the power-hungry dictators and corrupt officials and other such people are not quite human, and have some orc/troll ancestors, but humans do not need orc genetics to be immoral and power hungry. Also, orcs are not too bright, and it takes incredible cunning and intelligence to do some of the evil that has been done in our past. (think dictators in totalitarian governments pre-and during WWII.)
On the other hand, it is nice to think that Hobbits and Dwarves are there somewhere Though with the disportionately small number of female dwarves, I have a hard time imagining they would still be here by now.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-26-2002, 10:54 PM   #31
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
Galadriel88, how am I a traitor?
You took sides with a mod and not your fellow regular mooter.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
Old 04-27-2002, 02:36 AM   #32
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88

You took sides with a mod and not your fellow regular mooter.
Yeah, I know. But I happened to agree with said mod.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-27-2002, 01:11 PM   #33
Elf Girl
Lurker

*gasp* Traitor! But I agree too...
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 12:31 AM   #34
Eruviel Greenleaf

All must agree! THere is no other way--oh, sorry. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even if it agrees with a mod.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-03-2002, 11:30 PM   #35
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

I know, I know, I was just messin with ya. BTW, where is Nolendil? Has he given up?

Old 05-03-2002, 11:36 PM   #36
Eruviel Greenleaf

Yeah, I know you were, Galadriel88. I hope Nolendil hasn't given up. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-04-2002, 07:17 AM   #37
Elf Girl
Lurker

He will appear any minute now and shower us with popcorn and Snickers bars.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 12:45 PM   #38
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
He will appear any minute now and shower us with popcorn and Snickers bars.
Probably not. He reserves those just for me.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:20 PM   #39
galadriel88

Arwen Undomiel

LOL

Old 05-04-2002, 09:30 PM   #40
azalea
Long lost mooter

I would prefer living in a less mechanised world in some ways, but I would still want a toilet and certain toiletries, if you get my meaning.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote