Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 01:05 PM   #21
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

But they don't feel WELCOME here because someone said they don't meet the requirements.

However, the correction was made - that there are no such requirements.

But they still chose to leave - so I agree with you, that's pathetic.

But the problem isn't that they are offended by something they read, it is that they don't feel welcome.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:21 PM   #22
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I am also a newbie. I had read LotR long ago. Seeing the movie renewed the fervor. Certainly to the point where I needed a place to be able to be a part of discussions about the books. So you can say that I was not a Tolkienite until I saw the film.
The point is, I came to this board because it suits my need for discussion and I found it very user friendly. I have posted in general messages, but by and large my interests are different from the majority of posters ( a generational thing). However its still nice to be able to exchange ideas with people from all over the world on topics ranging from God to what time you get up in the morning. I guess I assume if people find there way on to this board they have some interest in Tolkien's work. If they get hooked like I did and read everything I can about Middle-earth, all the better. The best we can do is continue discussions that may spark the imagination of others who have not yet discovered the joy of the Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:31 PM   #23
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Ok. Since i have possibly offended every person who ever read this i shall possibly go read another thread until someone replys.
I agree with your post.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:22 PM   #24
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Now this is a first! Comicbookguy and me agreeing!!! thankyou CBG.

for all you pippin's out there.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:39 PM   #25
Darth Tater
The man

Look, all you overreacters, I never said it was a requirement to have read LOTR and be a big Tolkien fan to post here. I just said that it's silly and pointless to be here if you aren't, because that's what the board is for!
Old 04-12-2002, 05:19 PM   #26
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Hello again . . . geez, so much for being strong and staying away, huh?
Actually, the reason I'm on Entmoot right now is cause I'm in a good mood.
The main reason for me to stay off of the Moot right now is not directly that Tater and I don't seem to be agreeing with a dratted thing lately. I'll admit; I overreacted this morning. The reason I think the Moot isn't a great place to be right now for me, though, is because, in a way, of that overreaction.
If you go back and read a number of my most recent posts, you'll notice that they're very different from my earlier ones. I've been over-reacting a LOT, taking way too much personally, and just generally being in a really crummy mood. The way I see it, I will not help my case if I get myself banned. I have to get myself under control before I really do lose it; and believe me, it's possible for me to lose it.
I can't say I appreciated your comments, you who said leaving was ridiculous, but i can understand your thinking behind that.
I'm at loose ends with a few members of the Administration right now; I feel unwanted by them, and that compounded by my bad moods is a little like lighting a stick of dynamite. You'll just have to take my word for it when I say you don't want to really see me mad.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Old 04-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #27
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

This is directed to Darth Tater:

I see...

But now I happen to be agreeing with you. Whether it's a matter of "should" or not, the fact is, most of the people here HAVE read the stuff and it really makes one look stupid if one pretends to know what one is talking about.

Plus, it's a lot more offensive to Tolkien fans for people who don't like Tolkien to be here trying to chum up while talking out of their butts.

Hobbit said this is a casual forum. Is there a place where real fans go? And I don't mean the I'm-more-of-a-purist-than-Peter-Jackson crowd...

Last edited by Elfhelm : 04-12-2002 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:10 PM   #28
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I agree with Strawberry. Leaving over what an admin says or anyone says is rather stupid.

I haven't read what was said or what tater said. Irregardless - even if he said that entmoot was only for tolkien fans - General Messages isn't, neither is Star Wars. The whole "Other Topics" section is completely unrelated to Tolkien.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 04-12-2002, 08:17 PM   #29
Arian
Elven Warrior

Hopefyully Lutherian will come back just like Wayfer. Welcome him back, you came to his sense. K, what did you guys do. *talking to the amins. and looking very confused, but Happy*
Old 04-12-2002, 10:14 PM   #30
Khadrane
Elf Lord

It is pretty pathetic how people are leaving. (Sorry if I offended anyone!) I disagree with people here on certain subjects, but I'm staying and having fun. People say things they don't mean (and things they do) but that shouldn't make others who were offended leave the board. That's just my opinion.

P.S. Thanks for coming back, Laurelyn!

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 04-12-2002, 11:06 PM   #31
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Darth Tater, that's one of the functions of the board. I have noticed that in the book forum there are alot of discussions where a non tolkienite cold learn ALOT about Middle Earth and Lord Of The Rings especially in little bits and stuff, so why would it be pointless for a non tolkienite to come here? What about someone who isn't that well versed in LOTR as we are? That would make them like non tollies only they would have ideas about what's goin' on in the books. And there are the General Messages, and the Other than LOTR Entertinment forums. So it is'nt exactly POINTLESS for a Non Tollie to come here. Just making a point.

And Luthien if you ever come back I want to say I will miss you and hold you as a Mooter even if you aren't a Tollie.
And Laurlyn you stay here now please. It's good seeing your face here and I hope you stay on.*Hugs Laurlyn*
And everyone ELSE who's thinking aobut going please stay, because we'll miss you ALOT and it's hard seeing friends go.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 04-12-2002, 11:13 PM   #32
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

No! Stop leaving! Luthien and Laurelyn, I'm gonna miss you guys too much. Come on, we can all still be friends here. You'll at least still come to The Crossroads, right? Please?

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
Old 04-13-2002, 07:14 AM   #33
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
*grins* FF, I'm still here . . . but nobody seems to be reading my posts, just calling me pathetic. *shrugs* Oh well.

Oh, and to you guys who think leaving because you don't get along with so and so isn't a good idea: would you stay on the Moot if you weren't having fun anymore?

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Old 04-13-2002, 09:57 AM   #34
Khadrane
Elf Lord

If your not having fun you can leave. I only think it's pathetic when people leave because someone disagrees with them once and they are offended by it. But I'm pretty hard to offend, so maybe I don't quite know what I'm talking about. And, Laurelyn, you aren't pathetic because you came back.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 04-13-2002, 10:48 AM   #35
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
There are people starving in countries at this moment and you're all getting worked up over what was said in whatever thread!!!
i can't cry for the world, kiddo.

and i didn't leave JUST becauseof tater.
that whole thing just kind of pushed me over the edge.
and it wasn't just because someone dissagreed with me. that happens all the time too.

what had been growing in the back of my mind was the fact that i was censoring myself to appease others. that is one of the like three MAJOR thingsthat really get me going.
i would rather leave of my own free will, even if it's only for a few days to cool off, than to be banned.

even if i get banned now, it won't make me mad, because im fine now.

like, you know how sometimes people will leave a room to keep thier dignity if they got really mad and were about to hit someone??
that's kind of what i did. i got to thinking about stuff that isn'tentmoot related too, and that helped.
so, even though i still don't love the idea of people who "put the keen in tolkien" trying to crush some girl'sdreams of being a writer, im back.
unles i get banned, by one of our loveley admins
Old 04-13-2002, 10:55 AM   #36
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Great to have you back Luthien!
Old 04-13-2002, 11:25 AM   #37
Darth Tater
The man

Look, you people seem to have this illogical fear of being banned. We only ban people if they break rules a lot and can't be controlled. Otherwise I just try and chase them away
Old 04-13-2002, 11:28 AM   #38
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
like, you know how sometimes people will leave a room to keep thier dignity if they got really mad and were about to hit someone??
I would call that civil.

Quote:
so, even though i still don't love the idea of people who "put the keen in tolkien" trying to crush some girl'sdreams of being a writer, im back.
Nobody has tried to crush a girl's dreams of being a writer by "putting the keen in Tolkien".

I also have to add, FanFictions about myself, usually lack a certain quality.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:32 AM   #39
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

civil.

before i get all hot-headed again, im gonna go make toast and coffee.
im at my frieds house, this might take a while, that coffee machine has parts that are still made of stone i think.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:41 AM   #40
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Glad to hear that folk are being civil and posting again. Good to have you both back LuthienTinuviel and Laurelyn.

Now where was I?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Closed Thread