Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 05:40 PM   #21
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

edited.
by me, LT.

i dn't care anymore, it's not wirth getting banned.

but i do feel like screaming, because people today.

i know your probably way above this CBG, but i had a bad day.
so im sorry if i was snappy, you... .

nevermind.. no bannage for me.
i AM HAPPY
i need more medication.

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 04-11-2002 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:59 PM   #22
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Keep writing. You have to write for many years before you have anything worth selling, so it doesn't matter what you write. After you read the trilogy, and then the Silmarillion, and then re-read it all, you will want to re-write this story.

Tolkien is a good role model for a writer. He studied all the old bards and wrote poetry and fairy tales for nearly 20 years before he wrote The Hobbit.

Follow you dreams and never give up, and ignore the critics.

peace
Old 04-11-2002, 06:20 PM   #23
BeardofPants
the Shrike

While I might suggest that you choose a different subject matter, the material that you have presented so far, suggests to me, that you could be a really good writer. The talent is there, and you seem to have a way with words. However, if you seriously want to write, then I do suggest you give up the sappy love stories, unless, of course, you want to be a highly unrespected Mills & Boons writer.

What you have so far, is fairly well written, it's just the wrong place to post that kind of subject matter, almost asking to be flamed.

But, good luck with your writing, you have the potential, use it, don't be side tracked by shallow, poorly developed storylines. Try to be original, in what you write. Read lots of the 'good' literature, see what thier tricks are, and see what has already been done.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:28 PM   #24
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by frodosgirlfriend
i don't think that would happen in rivendell.
It wouldn't. But like I said, WHAT you write when you are burning up those first thousand odd pages of throw away stuff isn't as important as other things. For instance, learning to slow down and describe things in incredible detail.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:30 PM   #25
Darth Tater
The man

Look, if you want a place to hang out because of your weirdness find the official weird freakish people's board. This is a Tolkien board, for fans of the work of Tolkien, specifically his Middle Earth related work. So uh gee, well to be a member here wouldn't it make sense to BE A FAN OF TOLKIEN???????????? Otherwise why bother?

And when writing, it's a good rule of thumb to write about what you know. You obviously don't know Canon when it comes to Middle Earth and LOTR, so why try to write a LOTR fanfic? FYI Arwen never gives Aragorn a stone in LOTR.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:34 PM   #26
Elf Girl
Lurker

I see no reason why she can't write a movie fanfic, as long as she makes it clear that it is based the movie. This is a Tolkien message board, but I might point out that we have an entire forun dedicated to the movie, and she put this in general messages. This is not the Tolkien area! People here can be as non-Tolkien related as they want!

Don't mind me. I mean no harm.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:54 PM   #27
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

But EG the founders get to set the rules, don't they? And DT is a founder from what I can tell, so I guess what he says is what matters. Unless there is some sort of democratic process. From what I've seen so far it's a rule by council, and so we deal with it or leave as we see fit.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:00 PM   #28
Darth Tater
The man

HOBBIT was elected a moderator democratically, and later made an admin. The rest of the administration was chosen by the administration, completely ignoring the thoughts and feelings of the users of Entmoot. And, I doubt we'll have another elected official. We just don't trust you guys
Old 04-11-2002, 07:02 PM   #29
Elf Girl
Lurker

I see I just gave up any chance I ever had for being even a moderator.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:03 PM   #30
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Tater
HOBBIT was elected a moderator democratically, and later made an admin. The rest of the administration was chosen by the administration, completely ignoring the thoughts and feelings of the users of Entmoot. And, I doubt we'll have another elected official. We just don't trust you guys
*Insert quote*

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

*Unquote*
Old 04-11-2002, 07:12 PM   #31
Ben
Retired Ent

Welcome all newbies, to Entmoot and Tolkien alike! :)

Ok, that was the Darth "I hate newbies" Tater rant. Please don't feel that the administration as a whole hates newbies. We don't. Well, I don't, at least.

I personally feel that Entmoot has always been a "casual" Tolkien board. We have a number of people who are able to discuss LotR on an intellectual level, but this isn't really an intellectual's board. Heck, I haven't read LotR straight through in over a year (I've discovered there's a bit more to life than Middle-earth ).

I don't want this to be a closed, elite community. It will die if that happens. I think it's great that people who have only seen the movie have been exposed to Tolkien's works. If they are inspired to read the books, that's even better, but that's not necessary for being an active member here.

Recall that Greg hung out here for over a year before finishing LotR. He just stuck to the general areas, and he even became part of the administration somehow. I used to be a regular at the 3D Realms (makers of Duke Nukem 3d) Bulletin Board, even though I was only a fan of their early games as opposed to the popular shooters that had become the standard. I just stayed in the general area and had no problems being part of that community.

Tater, if what you really want are the serious Tolkien scholars (Michael Martinez, etc.), you can't pull stunts like turning the board pink. I was under the impression that you felt the board had "no more credibility," so what's it to you who's read what book?

Making people feel unwelcome because they haven't satisifed your criteria for being a "true Tolkien fan" is beyond rude, IMHO.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Old 04-11-2002, 07:14 PM   #32
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I see I just gave up any chance I ever had for being even a moderator.
You would want to be a moderator? hehehe

Anyway, I agree with you, but it's not our call. So where should fanfic be posted? And how can we make it so other writers critique it? Some other place? Like alt-fanfic-tolkien or what?

oops, this post was being written as the admins admin was posting.

So, it's ok to post fanfic here? Even if you haven't read much Tolkien (I have, BTW).

Last edited by Elfhelm : 04-11-2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:21 PM   #33
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The thread for fanfiction is here.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:32 PM   #34
Darth Tater
The man

Actually that wasn't my "I hate newbies" rant, that was my "I hate people who think they are Tolkien fans but aren't" rant.

Greg had a reason to be here, he has friends here. However, I did think it was weird how much he was here before reading LOTR. Notice the banner? says this board is dedicated to the works of Tolkien, not the works of Peter Jackson. There are plenty of boards like that. The reason for the decline in our credibility is the influx of members who are fans of PJ's, and not really fans of Tolkien's. I love the LOTR movie, it's genius, but it's NOT LOTR!
Old 04-11-2002, 07:47 PM   #35
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
The thread for fanfiction is here.
Yeah, but that does contain the official ruling on whether it's allowed to post fan fic here. Funny thread though.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:51 PM   #36
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I speak for one thing: fiction stories that aren't based on romance! I mean, jeez, there's better things in the world. Like . . . war, bloodshed, good VS. evil battles, a new nemesis, oh-my-Eru-we're-all-gonna-die!'s. You see where I'm going with this?

I think if someone really loved the movie, they'd go ahead and read the books. Why not? It won't really ruin the movies because they already change quite a lot of plot occurences in them. The book is so much more enriching compared to the movie, too. Yeah, sure, it's complicated and descriptive, but that's the best part about it. Seriously, girl, go ahead and read them!

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 04-11-2002 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:01 PM   #37
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

What I think about writing, for the beginner, in general, I've already stated. But as far as what I think is GOOD, that's another matter.

I think to do a JRRT fan fic you first have to learn some old english, turn out a few dozen pages of alliterative verse, recite the Eddas in the original, and then have children.

It also wouldn't hurt to serve your country in a war and get wounded and maybe even work on a huge dictionary doing etymologies for a while.

And teaching old english would also be a plus.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:02 PM   #38
Elf Girl
Lurker

I'm writing a fic that isn't a romance. Yay for me!
Old 04-11-2002, 08:19 PM   #39
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I think this is a great Tolkien board! We can talk Tolkien and other stuff too!
Old 04-11-2002, 08:22 PM   #40
Firalphien
Hobbit

First of all, I never meant for any of this to happen. I want apologize to everyone. And I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I did want my work to be critized and I also want to thank you all, because I totally have a new idea for it (and no it won't be a romance one). Tater I'm sorry if I offended you by not being a true Tolkien fan. I'll do better after I've read LOTR. I just hope you guys aren't mad at me for posting my story or anything and starting this up. If you want, you can delete it.

Luv Alwayz

~*Alphie*~
Closed Thread