Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-10-2002, 06:39 PM   #21
azalea
Long lost mooter

WHAT!!!???No Scouring!!?? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! !!!!!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 07:17 PM   #22
Elf Girl
Lurker

*reincarnates azalea* Yup, I died too. Welcome back to life.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 08:38 PM   #23
azalea
Long lost mooter

Oomph. Thank you. That was a real shocker.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:34 PM   #24
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Arwen coming to Helms Deep!?!?!?!?
Man now she's taken the parts of Glorfindel AND her two brothers. When will this madness end. AND HOW CAN THERE BE NO SCOURING!?!?!?!?!?!

HOW?!?!?!
HOW?!?!?!

Some times I wonder if this Jackson guy is really such a huge Tolkien fan. I bet he's never even read the Silmarillion!
Old 04-11-2002, 03:38 PM   #25
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I want scouring! I want scouring! I want scouring! I want scouring! I want scouring! I want ...ok thats enough.

Im a huge tolkien fan but i haven't read the silmarillion yet! (Well i tried but i kinda couldn't get that the ...valaquenta?

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 05:23 PM   #26
azalea
Long lost mooter

I am reading it for the first time, although I have been a LotR/ Hobbit fan for ages. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #27
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Yeah, its a hard read but if you really, really want to really understand Middle Earth, it's definitely worth it.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:39 PM   #28
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

By the way, I don't mean you're not a Tolkien fan if you haven't read the Silmarillion but if you're going to make ANY Tolkien MOVIE , you should have read AT LEAST LotR, Silmarillion and Hobbit, if not others
Old 04-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #29
azalea
Long lost mooter

Don't worry about offending me, I am secure in my Tolkein-fanness! I didn't take your comment to mean that.
But I agree w/ you, that to bring his works to the masses you must first know where he was coming from and where he was going, or you cannot get it accurate.
Old 04-14-2002, 04:12 PM   #30
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Finrod Felagund
By the way, I don't mean you're not a Tolkien fan if you haven't read the Silmarillion but if you're going to make ANY Tolkien MOVIE , you should have read AT LEAST LotR, Silmarillion and Hobbit, if not others
oh...thanks for clearing that up- i am extreamly simple-minded and i don't pick up on many things

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:33 PM   #31
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

The sons of Elrond are apparently in the movie. And the history of the Elessar is by no means as clear-cut as some would describe it. The stone itself does not play a central part in the story, but it is important to Aragorn's story. Without the Elessar he cannot heal the people of Gondor and so reveal his royal heritage. It remains to be seen whether Peter Jackson and the other writers retained that concept.

They got rid of Bombadil, who had a far more extensive impact on the storyline than the green stone.

And, for what it's worth, there is no Evenstar stone in the book. I'm not sure of whether they are calling Arwen's necklace the Evenstar, but in the book SHE was the Evenstar. Her white gem (which she gave to Frodo) was not named.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:55 PM   #32
azalea
Long lost mooter

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michael Martinez
[B]
They got rid of Bombadil, who had a far more extensive impact on the storyline than the green stone.

No kidding.

I'm sure it's been stated before, but as much as I LOVED the movie, it's really a shame that it couldn't have been done in 6 parts somehow so that more could have been included. As good a job as he did bringing Middle Earth to life (PJ), it just makes one hunger even more to see the scenes and characters that were left out. But I realize that a miniseries-type project could not have produced the same quality effects and scenery.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:11 AM   #33
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Martinez
And the history of the Elessar is by no means as clear-cut as some would describe it. The stone itself does not play a central part in the story, but it is important to Aragorn's story. Without the Elessar he cannot heal the people of Gondor and so reveal his royal heritage.
"Yet and how can that be", said Galadriel, "For surely the Valar are now removed and Middle Earth is far from their thought, and all who cling to it are under a shadow."
"It is not so", said Olorin. "Their eyes are not dimmed nor their hearts hardened. In token of which look upon this!" And he held before her the Elessar, and she looked on it and wondered. And Olorin said, "This I bring to you from Yavanna . . . one shall come to you who is to receive it and his name is that of the stone: Elessar he shall be called."
- The History of Galadriel and Celeborn
Old 04-21-2002, 09:11 AM   #34
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

if peter jackson was as good as retaining information as is at retaining water (hes a big boy, if ya hadn't noticed) we would all be satisfied.

but hey. i'll just have to make an enormusly long full version of LOTR and put it on the net. im sure some of my firends wuod be happy to help.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:02 PM   #35
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

OUCH!

LOL!
Old 04-23-2002, 05:48 PM   #36
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I"LL HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2002, 09:57 PM   #37
Gorhiriel
Elven Warrior

umm.......

I've got pics of that, so it must be on DVD extras.

BOROMIR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"And anon shall I Sail into the West: with the setting sun I shall remove my light from this world..."
Gorhiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 07:50 AM   #38
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
Strider

i recon they'll do little flashbacky things in two towers for the giving of elessar etc.

i mean aragorn didn't get anduril last time did he? and i realise that it might not be quite as important as the stone that gives him his name but that sword is a cruical part of the story.

so anyway in the clips of two towers you see aragorn back in rivendale picking it up or something, i can't remember, but i think that's right.

so maybe they will do the gift giving thing then as well. they really did need the gimli hair thingy or he and legolas cannot become best friends which is a [well not crucial but one of my fav parts] of the story. especially on helms deep where they're having that contest.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:08 PM   #39
entss89
lord of the ents

Nazgul hi

they left out too much!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:38 PM   #40
niggle
Hobbit

Elessar

The Elessar is the Elfstone that is given to Aragorn by Galadriel. If I remember "Unfinished Tales" it was either:
a) Made for Galadriel by Celebrimor
b) Bought back from Valinor by Gandalf and given to Galadriel with the instruction that she must surrender it to Aragorn when the time comes.

However, the plot thickens. There was another Elessar which was lost (along with the one ring) when Isildur died. This is much older and more beautiful - according to Tolkien in Unifinished tales" this was found in a hidden chamber at Orthanc by Gimli after the death of Saruman and the events of LOTR when Orthanc was being "renovated" by the dwarves for Aragorn. Aragorn apparently kept the older Elessar for special occasions in the North Kingdom.

Just think - PJ could show Gimli finding the Elessar in Orthanc during a melee in which Saruman gets killed, then Aragorn could give the other Elessar to Arwen, and they could ride off to battle at the head of their armies shining like headlights... Later they could have the stones set in their wedding rings (a la Elizabeth Taylor - sooo tasteful).

niggle is offline   Reply With Quote